Tennis Elbow?

MikeAdams

RDC Crypto
I had every intention of racing D38 this year- but last year I was riding every other week and and my left arm had enough of the clutch. I was working out- with a full cardio/lifting and was actually in the best riding shape I had ever been in. Doc said to have full rest/ ice / and a ton of advil.

I've rested, froze my arm, and ate enough advil to make my stomach bleed- to no avail. It's now March, and I can't pinch ANYTHING without severe pain in my elbow. I haven't ridden since New Year's, and this all started in October of last year!

Wondering if anyone has had a similiar experience? Cortizon shot may be my only option according to the doc, but I hate the idea of a tempary fix.

On a side note- the auto clutches are a bit pricey- anyone race on one? It's on an 2003 WR450.

I was gonna post on ThumperTalk as well- but I figured I'd ask the family first..

All those years of left handed tennis?

Last edited:

5racer

RDC Crypto
iv had tennis elbow also and its a ***** i tried everything also .then one day woke up and it felt a little better and in three days it was gone its some strange stuff .you could always have a shot of cortisone {sp** but i hear it hurts like a *****

FABRICATOR

RDC Crypto
Bummer on the elbow. I tried a CR500 with an auto clutch. It was cool for some things and a neutral gear for others. Overall, I did not like it. Might be okay for racing.

Kbach66

RDC Crypto
Bummer on the elbow. I tried a CR500 with an auto clutch. It was cool for some things and a neutral gear for others. Overall, I did not like it. Might be okay for racing.

I'm with fabricator on this one. They're alright for a few things, but for me there were too many negatives to offsett the positives. I don't like the o/a clutch feel and the extra mass/flywheel weight feeling.

The only real way to tell if you'd like it is to try it.....and unfortunately they're not cheap!

ktmkc

RDC Crypto
i have had probably 4 cortisone shots, the last one 3yrs ago and haven't had any problem since. the doc had told me my only option was surgery. my ligament is torn where it meets the bone, he wanted to operate i asked for 1 more shot and its been all good since then. i have ridden really hard these last 3 yrs too. i had absolutely no pain with the shots............k. cave

Dave_G

RDC Crypto
Here's the deal on the tennis elbow...

You have some big inflamation in there on the tendon and you need to get it stopped so you can start the healing process. If you have gone this long and it is not better by now do yourself a favor and get the steroid injection. It's not as discomforting as you might think. Most doc's will numb the area with lidocane before they shoot you up and it's no big deal. I had a serious shoulder problem back in October and my shoulder froze up and I couldn't move it. The ortho doc hit me with 5 injections at one time and a few weeks later I was way better. The relief you get will give you an opportunity to start doing some therapy and make some good progress without all the heavy pain. In my opinion go see an orthopedist not a GP. They are much more versed in treating this kind of issue in my opinion.

MX808

RDC Crypto
I am a pitcher on my highschool team so this happens often. When the inflamation happens i just ice a lot. Then stretch it out. The more strech the better it could be. If you stay on one pain releiver the muscles will get used to the medication. My advice is ice strech and try to stay of the pills.

MikeAdams

RDC Crypto
Thanks for all the replies- I think I will go for the shot and look into a hydraulic clutch...

so pulling the clutch to much caused the problem?

Actually- I had studied Gary Semic's book and I was all about pulling the clutch in with one finger. Funny thing is, I didn't get arm pump, and what's even more strange was that it didn't start hurting until a couple days later.

FABRICATOR

RDC Crypto
...Funny thing is, I didn't get arm pump, and what's even more strange was that it didn't start hurting until a couple days later.

How old are you...? If I go riding on Sunday, I'm pumped that day and little tired on Monday. Tuesday is when major rigamortise sets in. The older you get the longer it lasts, literally. :)

Young&Fast

RDC Crypto
Is arm pump bad? Does it cause tennis elbow. What causes it? Went riding about a year ago with some friends that all had super stiff MX suspension and were dying of arm pump. Back than I was riding my "74 XL 125 and had not arm pump what so evey.

FABRICATOR

RDC Crypto
(My "pumped" meant let's-go-baby!, not arm pump. I've never really had it either.) :D
Although it might aggrivate it, I doubt it could have anything to do with getting tennis elbow.

Last edited:

MikeAdams

RDC Crypto
How old are you...? If I go riding on Sunday, I'm pumped that day and little tired on Monday. Tuesday is when major rigamortise sets in. The older you get the longer it lasts, literally. :)

Ha!

Actually, my back and legs were VERY sore the rest of the month after that ride and I attributted it to changing my riding style from reading that Semic's book. That book made a huge difference in speed at the track, and it also pointed out how out of shape I've become- even though I had been working out on a regualr basis.

I'm 31 and I'm still "pumped" after getting the new Dirt Rider and Dirt Sports today. I can't wait to ride again. I'm calling the Doc come Monday.

JBO

RDC Crypto
Here's the deal on the tennis elbow...

You have some big inflamation in there on the tendon and you need to get it stopped so you can start the healing process. If you have gone this long and it is not better by now do yourself a favor and get the steroid injection. It's not as discomforting as you might think. Most doc's will numb the area with lidocane before they shoot you up and it's no big deal. I had a serious shoulder problem back in October and my shoulder froze up and I couldn't move it. The ortho doc hit me with 5 injections at one time and a few weeks later I was way better. The relief you get will give you an opportunity to start doing some therapy and make some good progress without all the heavy pain. In my opinion go see an orthopedist not a GP. They are much more versed in treating this kind of issue in my opinion.

I think Dave_G is on the right track. First of all, go see the right physician...you said you saw "the doc" but make sure you consult an orthopedist or at least a MD who specializes in sports medicine. Cortisone shot is an agressive way to treat it, but if a conservative approach is not working it may be appropriate for the reasons Dave mentioned. If you're hesitant about the cortisone shot, request a prescription for physical therapy from your doctor, and try that first...if you still don't get relief then try the shot, and follow it up with more therapy so it does not return. To keep it from returning, try wearing a strap/brace for tennis elbow when you ride. That will reduce the stress of the muscle/tendons pulling at the bone...and use ice after you ride (or play tennis) to stay ahead of the inflammation. (once RIGHT after for about 15 min, and maybe 1 or 2 more times later in the day).

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 110

Ryno

RDC Crypto
this is also referred to as framer's elbow. My index and middle finger and consistantly numb from this inflammation of the tendon. If I can relax it for a couple days, it goes away. Cortizone/ shots is the way to go.

On a side note, working out is only good if your body can rest. The best thing to do is to workout, then eat, then sleep. Speeds up the healing process tremendously. A 200mg ibuprofen before sleep/ after eating is even better, it thins out the blood more for better absorption to the muscle.

Dave_G

RDC Crypto
and use ice after you ride (or play tennis) to stay ahead of the inflammation.

Here's a little trick for applying ice to your elbow. Get a regular size styrofoam coffee cup and fill it full of water and freeze it in the freezer. When you need to ice down your elbow just turn the cup up side down and apply the ice in a circular motion. As the ice melts just peel off some of the styrofoam rim to expose more ice. When your done put it back in the freezer for next time. Using the styrofoam cup keeps your hand from freezing to death while your applying the ice. ;)

MikeAdams

RDC Crypto
Thanks for all the help guys- I'll post up progress, and let you know what route I went after I talk to the doc.