Tent Camping at Races

3 Amigos Racing

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
I am downsizing from a 34 foot toy hauler after a Class A and thinking I just want the quickest simple option available for BITD and MORE racing. Im not feeding our housing a team anymore, nor the kids at a race.
I get the heat issue on a summer race but more concerned about wind and freezing my butt off.

I see this on all the Dakar threads.. and like the idea.. they gotta be good for a race night? Any ideas or guidance.. I am just tired of dragging a whole house behind me.

malamoo-xtra-background-removed-616.jpg

isdtbower

RDC Crypto
I think this is what many are using that need to tent different every night. Good for two people and some stuff. You will take several minutes to figure out how to fold it back up, but soon a one minute operation.

Other have gone for the tent / cot combination.

There is some security in hard sides. Think about a van or etc? Shorty topper? Then you can stop anywhere.

Offspring

RDC Crypto
The best desert camping I've done has been in a pop-up tent trailer, it went everywhere I wanted to go.

3 Amigos Racing

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
I like pop ups too.. But trying to avoid towing.
Thinking I.need a free standing tent for possible asphalt pit camping then dirt and wind. Going for a good sleep pad, those are super expensive..and a sleep bag. As small Yamaha 1000 generator with a plug in space heater?

TMorford

RDC Crypto
Ive got a TentCot that I bring everywhere if we are camping and Ive never had a rough night in it. Stay plenty warm with it sealed up and the support poles keep the tent from collapsing on itself in heavy wind.

Ive also got a Tepui RTT that I have used a couple times and its basically a bigger version of the TentCot.

dan200

wholesome chickens
RDC Crypto
we sell a few different kinds of rooftop tents at our shop and they are pretty trick. I believe there are more than what is on our website. The one on top of my bosses 4 runner opens via remote.

SDHQ Offroad

contact
joey@sdhqoffroad.com

24173163_1768715553151549_8531148077647102923_o.jpg

charlie_brown

RDC Crypto
I switch from a tent to a tentcot. so much faster and comfy. t 1st i thought it was going t take up more room but with a tent you have a ground cover, air mattress and pump. the tentcot is off the ground so it does not soak up you body heat. been great for daily travel set up like norra chase.
it takes me about 10 min from pulling it off the truck to being in it.

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
I had no idea they even made such a thing. I am really interested in one now. I hope to take a few over night canoe trips here in Texas this next year and one of these would be perfect for its compact size to pack and set up.

Chris Tobin

RDC Crypto
How small and light do those pack up to be?

NIKAL

RDC Crypto
The Camp Rite Compact & Compact XL are the smallest when collapsed and packed. But they are still pretty big and not something your going to back pack or canoe with. I’m guessing my Compact weighs 20-25 lbs. which is not bad considering it’s everything minus your sleeping bag. Also I’m guessing when folded up in its carry bag, it’s 3 ft + long, and this is the lighter Compact model. The original is going to be bigger. Still way better then any on ground tent. Plus you can set it up in 2-3 minuets in the dark.

If I was to buy another one I’d get the XL as it would give more room for your backpack or duffle bag. I’d like to see what a double looks like and can you really sleep two in it?

Dirty Harry

RDC Crypto
Website
www.harrysituations.com
I have an ARB Swag that I took to Baja and I love it. It is heavy canvas so it doesn’t flap in the wind and it is warm and dark inside. It also sets up quickly. The downside is that it is pretty bulky when it is rolled up compared to a traditional tent because the bedding stays inside.
IMG_8188.jpg

3 Amigos Racing

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
Sold the 34 toy hauler and picked up good 10 ft box pop up with an air conditioner, furnace and cassette toilet for Main pit and camp outs.

That ARB swag looks a lot better than the Kodiak version I was considering for chase races. The Kodiak seems too small.

Last edited:

TMorford

RDC Crypto
I’d like to see what a double looks like and can you really sleep two in it?

Buddy of mine has one that he used a ton before getting an RTT and his only complaint was a bar that runs longways down the middle. Said its basically like having two "Oversize" Tentcots put together.