• Forum membership has its advantages....

Tesla electric truck, new prerunner or race truck candidate?

vegasloki

Let's see if they can make one first then scale it to production numbers for the market. They've not had a good record actually building the cars. They were saying the Model 3 was only going to cost $35k and that didn't happen for a few years and to get the cheaper one you still have to hunt it down. I'd bet Ford or GM will have a plug in electric pickup to the market well before Tesla does.

Bert is my name

The guys at competitive metals put together a Tesla powered sand truck. Look it up on Google. Couple videos and write ups about it. The thing freights.

Ben77

According to Rich Rebuilds (Tesla salvager/rebuilder on youtube) its a PITA to get any spare/replacement parts. So youd have to make your own spares, or go out break, and then have tesla fix it. imo

vegasloki

I looked at making my Ranger an EV with Leaf batteries and drive and an open source controller/charger. It was going to be too heavy and have less than 100 miles range. There are Tesla batteries out there and drive axles but you have to make your own controller. Ebay has a ton of various EV parts.

jon coleman

wasnt there a co. that sold a vw bug conversion to ev kit at one time?, i vaguely recall reading about it years back..

Bert is my name

I like the idea behind electric vehicles well enough. even though battery technology has come a long way. The lack of range and weight that comes with an e.v. still doesn't have me convinced that internal combustion engines will go away anytime soon. Hours to charge versus minutes to fill still has me hooked on petroleum. If I was a stay at home trophy husband it might be a different story.

jon coleman

let the markets dictate the e.v .evolution , Not a dictator....p.s., i love that ev bug, just enough chrome to get you home

jon coleman

yeah!, i can run that all night out at glammis , ill show those big diesel pusher guys who run Their genarators all night....;)

Bricoop

I like the idea behind electric vehicles well enough. even though battery technology has come a long way. The lack of range and weight that comes with an e.v. still doesn't have me convinced that internal combustion engines will go away anytime soon. Hours to charge versus minutes to fill still has me hooked on petroleum. If I was a stay at home trophy husband it might be a different story.
Hybrids are where it's at. I'm still drooling at the thought of a hybrid TT.

Here's the sand truck's Instagram. Various electric vehicles. These things fly: Tesla Sand Truck (@teslasandtruck) • Instagram photos and videos

jon coleman

anyone got the scoop on fuel cell / hydrogen vehicles?, i think that might be the future , thats if Big battery lobyist's dont shut it down..( joke)hybrid solves the tt fwd drive line problem, eliminates r&p, drive shafts, transfere case, adjustable on the fly, eco friendly, seperate power train, blown eng.?, no problem, just limp in fwd mode.i can build one, just need a garage, chop saw, & a welder....

Last edited:

Bricoop

anyone got the scoop on fuel cell / hydrogen vehicles?, i think that might be the future , thats if Big battery lobyist's dont shut it down..( joke)hybrid solves the tt fwd drive line problem, eliminates r&p, drive shafts, transfere case, adjustable on the fly, eco friendly, seperate power train, blown eng.?, no problem, just limp in fwd mode.i can build one, just need a garage, chop saw, & a welder....
I'd go electric to all 4 wheels and only use the engine to generate power (Full torque from stop). Using a small turbo diesel to improve MPG + regenerative breaking. You can get very creative with where you put the weight when you don't have to send the power through a driveline. With the hybrid you'd require far fewer cells.

jon coleman

sell this to the DoD, and get some of that r&d cash, im in.....ps , just watched near hit, rusky- us navy, looks like our fault..
opps..

Travisfab

The feasibility of building one will likely rely entirely on how Tesla designs the "skateboard". It's fun to talk about it, but kind of pointless until more details are released.