• Forum membership has its advantages....

Tesla electric truck, new prerunner or race truck candidate?

TwistyItch

As far as the electric trucks that are coming out pretty soon, I wonder if any of them, Musk's included, can tow a loaded trailer for very far.
Musk and others who want to make trucks that can tow, will need to redesign the stations so you can pull in with your trailer. I wonder how many of those will be built and where.

Bricoop

As far as the electric trucks that are coming out pretty soon, I wonder if any of them, Musk's included, can tow a loaded trailer for very far.
Musk and others who want to make trucks that can tow, will need to redesign the stations so you can pull in with your trailer. I wonder how many of those will be built and where.
It will be able to tow a ton of weight(probably 5-10 of them actually), but if you're doing any climbing, your range will get crushed. I wonder what the range looks like 'net' of elevation change. You speed and aerodynamics of the trailer/boat/whatever have a pretty dramatic effect too.

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
Test it towing up El Cajon, Jacumba from the east, or the Grapevine in traffic on a hot day with A/C.

BTW, can you run the a/c in a Tesla while it's charging and not make charging time interminable?

We have several chargers here, all back-in, facing WSW in the desert sun.

And what about the Rivian truck? IIRC, Ford has invested heavily.

Total Loss

Maybe the truck can pull it;s own supercharger station?

TwistyItch

Tesla just announced that 400 mile battery is soon to be released. Still not enough range for a truck with a trailer. I would want at least 600 miles so I can get over the Rockys and make it to Arizona or Utah with my toys. By that, I mean I would expect to need recharging at 300 miles. I wonder at what point adding more batteries (ie weight) stops making sense in the trade-off for range.

ThatSpaceMexican

They actually don’t do marketing at Tesla. They get most of their attention from Musk’s twitter and the haters. I don’t understand it, American made, fast, luxurious. Going from no car to the best car in the world in less than 10 years.

Steve jobs is considered one of the greatest innovators ever. Leading a large company is having a vision, hiring smart people and giving them the tools to execute.
It's actually on the mindset of many individuals that do not like the idea of the electric car. Go to cars and coffee and ask people opinions (or better yet) listen in on the private conversations of the 'older" crowd and so many of them will scoff at a Tesla and say "its not a real car." It really is very disheartening to hear that such a piece of technology is being dismissed even within such a short (engineering standards) time-frame. Of course these are the same individuals will say "if it ain't broke don't fix it," in reference to a vacuum electric system found in their turn of the millennium Chrysler, Buick, or Cadillac cars. but as many of us know vacuum systems are built to break. It also speaks to how many will say such things under hushed breathes or closed doors. Everyone forgets that people believed Steve Jobs was an utter fool to no follow what IBM was doing.

jon coleman

luv the electric car idea, but it is like the4000 dollar big screen tv years ago, ev wont be accepted until its wal mart compatable, 400, not 4000

MI-FL Offroader

The reason is Musk's ego. He went on and on about how he was going to revolutionize the automotive manufacturing industry. He hired some marquee names in assembly/manufacturing but didn't like what they told him and ran them off. With the Model 3 and pressure from the investors he finally got it together to ship enough cars. But he couldn't hit his price point and tried to up sell reservations to pricier models and people cancelled their orders. The sooner Tesla is absorbed by a real car manufacturer (or at least the board installs someone with that skillset) and Musk shown the door the better for the company. The product is outstanding though even with some of the quality hiccups they've had.
I live and grew up 15 miles from the Space X pad. I've witnessed hundreds of every type of Rocket launch from the Atlas to the Saturn V and Shuttle. What they are doing there is pretty amazing and he has this area buzzing again. In fact there is a launch scheduled for today. But, maybe a Car company, albeit an industry changing innovative car company, really might not be enough ego boost for Musk considering how well things are going here.
Space X successfully launched 64 satellites into orbit last month, they should be making money. I agree with the notion that he should focus on these projects and relinquish the Tesla operations to some experienced mass production management and bean counters. Maybe he could be more focused to help with eliminating the infrastructure crutch plaguing the EV industry as well. Let the Car guys figure out the range issues and Musk can take Communications and interstellar travel to the next level. He would be remembered and revered far longer into the future for those contributions imho.

Ridelikeadiesel

What if Tesla marketed its own trailer, to allow for another battery storage solution? When driving in town, use standard truck battery, but when towing, use our plug-in trailer and double your range.

Bricoop

Reading more and more about this. 4 electric motors attached directly to portal hubs could be really incredible. You could, in theory, also remove the brakes from the truck. No drive lines, no brakes, no transmission, torque vectoring, crazy low COG. Yea, this is getting dumb, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

jon coleman

im waiting for back to the future mc fly hover board technology, ill simply float on by a stuck rg..but i do think active suspension is gonna be the game changer, an optical scanner, laser , ect . that can read up coming terrain and adjust suspension in a micro second is possible, i got it All figured out, just need a little working capitol.

trailready

Tesla is awesome car, but it's downside goes beyond the obvious market challenges. The biggest proponents for plug in electric cars are the same folks who want to get rid of nuclear and coal and natural gas electricity to save the environment, tear out the dams to save the salmon/whales, and now those pesky solar steam plants are air frying too many birds. Doesn't socal still have rolling black outs from time to time when they cant get enough northwest energy. What happens when electric cars get cheap enough for everyone to own. Where's the power going to come from? Clue...it wont be solar or wind mills LOL

Bricoop

Tesla is awesome car, but it's downside goes beyond the obvious market challenges. The biggest proponents for plug in electric cars are the same folks who want to get rid of nuclear and coal and natural gas electricity to save the environment, tear out the dams to save the salmon/whales, and now those pesky solar steam plants are air frying too many birds. Doesn't socal still have rolling black outs from time to time when they cant get enough northwest energy. What happens when electric cars get cheap enough for everyone to own. Where's the power going to come from? Clue...it wont be solar or wind mills LOL
The issue is storage, not production. We can produce plenty of power, we just can't store it when we need it. Charging vehicles at night won't be an issue for the grid.

Total Loss

Doesn't socal still have rolling black outs from time to time when they cant get enough northwest energy. /QUOTE]

Worse than that now...since PGE was found responsible for at least 1 major fire recently, the powers that be are going to shut off peoples power when they deem a fire danger to be "extreme"...even when there is no fire in the area.
Can't wait for that.. Honda genny is always full.

#outaKalisoon