• Forum membership has its advantages....

Tesla electric truck, new prerunner or race truck candidate?

Zambo

I thought I'd miss the sound of the motor but after riding in a Tesla once there is something very cool about silently hauling ass. Plus I like to hear the rest of the machine off road, I hate driving loud vehicles.

vegasloki

Hope you can get through the paywall:

L.A. to Vegas and Back by Electric Car: 8 Hours Driving; 5 More Plugged In

Long story short, electric vehicles have a long way to go - which they can't, right now. 540 mile trip, starting with a full charge, required an additional five and a half hours of charging in a Chevy Bolt to complete the trip.
The Bolt is a good comparison for a car more people can afford but not so good at showcasing the latest EV tech. The Bolt is designed (like most other EVs) to be commuting cars and not distance cars.

A Model S Long Range could do that trip one way even going 80 mph through the desert. With a Supercharger station you get 160 miles in 20 mins. I make that trip a fair amount and usually stop for about that long to fuel and perhaps get something to eat. At the end of the first leg it would be about an hour and a half at a Supercharger before returning. You're looking at about $44 round trip in Supercharger fees. Assuming you have the $80-100k car. Or you could buy three Bolts and strategically place them along the trip and change cars once the battery drains...

Riven is likely to blow the doors off everyone on range with the new truck but that version is also said to north of $70k. EVs are good for commuting but right now anything with distance that's not a high end Tesla and on a route with a Supercharger is going to require some workarounds. That's why we don't have an EV. I want something that can get what the Tesla does but is under $30. It will be a while before that.

Bert is my name

So what you're saying is that I need more than one car. That doesn't sound ecologically responsible. I'm going back my first statement. Strip mining the earth to build electric vehicles is not the answer when we already have vehicles. Fuel efficiency equals horsepower when properly applied. Humanity needs to realize that we waste energy in many different forms and just because its electric doesn't make it green

johnnyweb

According to Rich Rebuilds (Tesla salvager/rebuilder on youtube) its a PITA to get any spare/replacement parts. So youd have to make your own spares, or go out break, and then have tesla fix it. imo
I own a Auto Body Collision repair business and yes part suck to get for them. I have seen 4-12 weeks usually for commin body parts I get from other manufactures in 1-3 days regularly. I have a brand new Model S in here now I have been waiting on parts to do the repair for going on 6 weeks now. If this were a Toyota or Ford for example the car would have been repaired and gone by now.

jon coleman

i thought these new fangled electric cars had auto braking, driving, collision avoidence compoters ect ect, so how are they getting all banged up??

Bricoop

Riven is likely to blow the doors off everyone on range with the new truck but that version is also said to north of $70k. EVs are good for commuting but right now anything with distance that's not a high end Tesla and on a route with a Supercharger is going to require some workarounds. That's why we don't have an EV. I want something that can get what the Tesla does but is under $30. It will be a while before that.
We're doing a lot of work with Lucid Motors. They, in conjunction with McLaren, will be the sole battery supplier for formula E. More racing applications will only help the technology across the industry.

johndjmix

Just shootme a PM. We have a mobility here we built with a go-kart rear end and hydraulic brakes....not as fast as the "super cooler" but way fast enough to flip you over!

--John

michael.gonzalez

Well. Almost speechless. But at least this TT render makes it better. On paper seems good.

39k for single motor, RWD, 250mi range, 7.5k towing (0-60 in <6.5s)
49k for dual motor, AWD, 300mi range, 10k towing (0-60 in <4.5s)
69k for triple motor, AWD, 500mi range, 14k towing (0-60 in <2.9s)

Comes with Air Suspension (Can raise and lower 4" for ease of loading, more ground clearance, etc)
16" ground clearance, 35* approach, 28* departure,
Autopilot
3500lb payload
"Frunk"
6.5ft bed ( with bed cover strong enough to stand on)
Crew Cab only, seats 6
On board 110V (and probably 220v too)
On board compressor

Body is stainless steel and undentable by a large sledgehammer. Windows shatter like glass as expected,

TESLA_TT.png

CYBERTRUCK5.png

CYBERTRUCK6.png

CYBERTRUCK4.png

CYBERTRUCK2.png

CYBERTRUCK3.png

CYBERTRUCK1.png

ELON.png

MASTER_CHIEF.png

Bricoop

My questions:

Indestructible? What about crumple zones?
Bullet Proof WIndows: what happens in a crash if you can't open the door during a fire or if this thing becomes a submarine?
What does towing 10K uphill due to the range?

Bricoop

I initially thought that the glass breaking was really stupid...but in hindsight if it is actually bulletproof glass, that is what it is designed to do. Shatter and hold, your belongings are still in the truck.

From a presentation perspective, it is complete garbage.

michael.gonzalez

OHHHHHH. It makes sense now. He designed it for Mars.

FROM AN ARTICLE:

Elon Musk, the Founder and CEO of Tesla and SpaceX, has been in the news for two reasons: one is to colonise Mars, and the other is the electrification of the mobility space. After the prototype launch of Starship, SpaceX’s deep-space transportation system designed for manned missions to Mars and beyond, Elon has unveiled a new innovation in the heavy vehicle category, which is going to set some new benchmarks for the rest to follow.

Elon took a moment and tweeted saying, “Tesla Cybertruck (pressurised edition) will be the official truck of Mars”.

Read more at: Tesla Cybertruck (pressurized edition) will be official truck of Mars, says Elon at the launch

J Prich

Does Camburg have a long travel kit for this yet?