Test drove a truck yesterday

jg009

Reaction
I scoped out a 1991 Toyota Xtracab pickup a couple days ago at a dealership so I pulled over and took a look at it. Nice little truck, very clean, had the V6 and 5 speed trans. The dealership was closed, though, so I skipped school the next day to test drive it. It had 232k miles on it, but it still made impressive power. My stick driving skills were a little rusty, but once I got back into it, the truck was a blast to drive. I picked it up at 9 in the morning and test drove it until 8 at night.

The truck needed some work. From what I could tell, it needed CV joints, new front brake pads and rotors, all new shocks, an oil pan gasket, rear springs, and a new sending unit on the fuel tank. Also, 4 new tires. The ones it had were very worn. I had the mechanic shop I go to print out an estimate for parts and labor. Not including tires, it was about $2,000 worth of work. A set of 31x10.50R15 BFG A/Ts are another $600. I went to my gf’s house and looked up the truck online. The dealership wanted $6,000 for it! Kelly Blue Book’s suggested dealer price is $4,400 if it were in excellent condition. The salesman said they’d be able to negotiate a little, but not that much from the $6k price tag. He blamed the high price on the fact that they just put $2500 into new heads and gaskets on it. I didn’t ask, but wouldn’t having new heads and gaskets bring it UP to excellent condition and make it worth $4,400? I didn’t push it any. That dealership is known for screwing people over. One salesperson said that I’d get $2500 for trading in my Durango, then another said there’d be no way I’d get that and that it’d be closer to $1800 that they’d give me.

To make up for trying to overcharge me, I took the truck through all the puddles and mud holes I could find before returning it. I parked a very, very mud coated Toyota behind the dealership so they couldn’t see what I did until I got away. I think I found a much better deal on a truck that’s the exact same with the exception of the color (it’s red, the other one was black) that’s sitting about 100 ft away from my house in the woods. It’s stuck in reverse and my mechanic said it’d be about $700 to pull the transmission and fix the shift forks. Other than the transmission issue and a little dirt on it, this other Yota is in near perfect condition. The paint and body is good and it’s got a set of aftermarket Warn locking hubs. It’s got some mice that just started living in it, but if I put some poison and soap in it (since we all know mice hate the smell of soap), then I think I can poison them and make them leave before they die. It’s missing the transfercase shifter knob, but that’s no huge issue by any means.

michael_loomis

Reaction
Yes the dealership is trying to sell it too high. Eventually, it will come down, and they will take there hit, but what you did was flat out wrong. They were kind enough to loan you the truck ALL DAY.

Shame on you. You should go back and offer to wash it.

woundedyak

Mammals fear me
Reaction
6k for a 18yr old truck that need at least 2k worth of work that you know of. Any vehicle over ten yrs old the dealer ship will not give over a a grand at best. Look at the classifieds on here and see what you get for 8k. Then tell if you still think it's a deal

jg009

Reaction
Here's a pic of the truck off their website. I can't really link to it since the website's layout is really goofy

You can go to http://www.diamondlot.com/guideautoplex/ and click on the "Pickup Trucks" tab on the top and scroll all the way down to the bottom. It's the only 1991 Yota on the page

michael_loomis

Reaction
Why the hell are you still on the subject? If you dont like there price for it, move on. Its up to YOU, the consumer, to pay the price or keep shopping. I dont understand why your so offended? Its their truck, they can try and sell it for $10,000 if they want.

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
Yes the dealership is trying to sell it too high. Eventually, it will come down, and they will take there hit, but what you did was flat out wrong. They were kind enough to loan you the truck ALL DAY.

Shame on you. You should go back and offer to wash it.
Loomis is right. That's messed up bro!!!

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
$6k for a truck that is almost 20 years old. You shouldn't be asking if you should buy it, you should be asking where there is another to go look at.

That is way to high a price.

DEZERTSUB

Straw Man
Reaction
On a side note, I really like that generation Toyota trucks. Weren't they just called "toyota pickup"??? when did this style end and Tacoma begin??

glamisrnr

Reaction
Dude that's not cool, we have had people do that to cars at our lot and I don't think people really know how much it messes up the schedule at a lot especially since we do repairs also, It means I usually have to come in after hours and wash unpaid (it is a family business but anyway) and it sometimes F's the paint up and then that makes people not really want to look at it.

BGRANT

Reaction
I just gave a 91' SR5 4Runner to one of my employees that was in excellent shape. It had 202K miles on it and a factory rebuilt motor that was warrantied due to the manifold gasket problems that those years had. I think the new motor had about 70K on it. What I am getting at is it was only worth about $3000 at the most. He has worked for me for 15 years and drives my old 2000 Toyota p/u that was beat to hell so I figured it was the least I could do for him. I was sorry to see it go after that long. It was one of many Toyota p/u's I have had. My wife drives a Sequoia and I have a Tacoma TRD I use as my daily driver because it is much easier to get around town in than my Super Duty.

MALIBLOC

Reaction
you should buy it and c-notch the frame and throw air bags on it, then send a picture to minitruckin, isnt that where this thread should go?

MALIBLOC

Reaction
yes it does, I get it free here at work and thunb threw it, check out the chicks and then trash it. I personally like the mini truckin tattoo's.

That toyota is a great truck, but way way over priced