I don’t know if Jerry had kids when he started this thread. Pete was still with us and he and Jerry made for some great interwebs entertainment. So long ago. Shoot I had an Alumicraft, wore no helmet, and loved the heat and dust. Now it’s a raptor with a/c and Sirius radio.
I was drooling at the sight of Camburg and McNeil rangers online as a high school kid. 20 years later, I own one (somewhat retro build, more of a personal nostalgia build) and purchasing parts directly from both guys. Many years of driving, codriving, prepping, and building trucks in between.
Wow what a blast from the past! It was fun helping Klaus and Paul start Race Dezert back in the day. Few funny facts...
1) Shooting pictures and videos on our Sony Mavica M091 cameras with floppy disks as the storage device.
2) Klaus and his Blazer hauling ass with two hands on the wheel going 80+ sawing at the wheel
3) The parties we would sponsor the first $500 worth of drinks. Tree bar, Choo Choo lounge etc.
4) Cameron Steel was in his 30's
5) Jason Baldwin was sending it hard in laughlin
6) Trophy Trucks were racing on 37" tires
7) The Herbst Truggy was the vehicle dominating the desert
8) Jason and I were building our first race Ranger
9) Dave Ashley and Dan Smith won the Baja 1000
10) Rob MacCachren won the Baja 1000 in a 1600 car
So many memories! This picture was the supercharger we installed in our Funco Big 5 we bought off Troy Herbst.
So many stories over the last 20+ years. Camburg is now 25 years old and now our kids have been racing.