Texas class 10.... who's driving this thing?

steve0we

Reaction
We decided a couple years ago that we wanted to jump from class 5U to class 10. We like working with other Texans when we can so we partnered with Scott Edwards of Perilous Customs to design and build a chassis. We looked at the class rules, got a game plan together and started building. The usual list of things we wanted in the build got tossed around... shocks, Trans, brakes, motor etc.

We felt that to build a winning car we needed to go outside the box and focus on areas that saved time etc. Scott is a great fabricator, very smart engineer and I'm just crazy enough to go big or go home with a little egg on my face if this goes all wrong!

Parts list:
Motor.... it's class 10 so we decided the Danzio package would work well. They have given us great customer service!
Trans. Fortin 6 speed

Brakes: this is when it got interesting. We didn't like what we saw on the market so Scott got on the computer and we built our own. 4 piston & 6 piston rears.
Hubs: well, if we are building brakes, we might as well build hubs as well.
Fuel cell: gotta go big, fuel stops eat up time.

As we sat in the empty chassis one day at the shop Scott and I talked about time saving, pit stops and what it takes to be competitive. We decided we needed a solid car, good fuel mileage between pit stops and drivers that could stay fresh.

Jump forward 2 years and a lot of work and we are getting the car ready for the 2017 B1K.... I'll see if I can post a few of the build pics, it's been a lot of fun!

Last edited:

steve0we

Reaction
I just realized I can't get to my photos on this tablet, but here are a couple of the rear brakes and hubs until I get back to the computer. Have a great weekend!

Attachments

LantanaTX

Reaction
Nice tease. Can't wait to see more! We will be at the 1000 in a vintage car built for the new vintage class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ErikIrvine

Reaction
Updates.....????

steve0we

Reaction
Here are a few pics of some of the fab work.....

Attachments

steve0we

Reaction
Nice tease. Can't wait to see more! We will be at the 1000 in a vintage car built for the new vintage class.

There will be a good group of Texans at the 1k. I know Mike Perez and crew will be there as well.

steve0we

Reaction
I figured I would drop this photo to help explain the title for this build.... We finished up the brakes and clutch today. This isn't the finished dash, but its a test fit for what we have now.

Attachments

Mark Newhan

Reaction
I figured I would drop this photo to help explain the title for this build.... We finished up the brakes and clutch today. This isn't the finished dash, but its a test fit for what we have now.

You got some splanin to do.

JDDurfey

Reaction
I think it is a great idea. When the left seat driver gets tired, have your back up Australian or British driver in the right seat take over. No need to switch seats! ;)

LantanaTX

Reaction
I think it is a great idea. When the left seat driver gets tired, have your back up Australian or British driver in the right seat take over. No need to switch seats! ;)
Haha, that's what I was thinking. Or you could use it for driver training.

steve0we

Reaction
Like I said earlier.... We are in a unlimited class with a spec motor so we looked at ways to save time and save the equipment.

We are running a sequential so shifting shouldn't be an issue and if everything goes well, we will be able to switch drivers on the fly.

We looked at different ideas:
Shorter loop race.... if the driver gets out, leave the navigator in who has already seen the course and let him run a lap so the new driver can see what has changed since the pre-run.

longer race... Middle of the night, eyes tired? need to clean your helmet? maybe not as fast in the high speed stuff? you didn't get to pre-run this section, but the other guy did?

We hope to make up time in those sections.

What are your thoughts???? Lets hear it!

LantanaTX

Reaction
Brilliant! Who get to be the driver of record?

steve0we

Reaction
Yes it is. Baja 1k here we come! We are full steam ahead and trying to finish all the testing in the next 30 days. We are teaming up with Andrew McCredie / Erik Irvine (maybe Zac Riesh if his other deal falls apart) and the rest of our west coast crew to pre-run and race. If the car survives Zac and Erik, we know we will be on to something good!

ErikIrvine

Reaction
Nice!