Texas passes new bill for OHV area growth

BajaRacingofTexas

Reaction
While some states are seeing issues regarding OHV areas, Texas passed a new bill on August, 20th giving over 1.5 million dollars to Texas Parks and Wildlife for the growth and expansion of OHV areas across the state. Just wanted everyone to know and I will share the link to the recent info.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/releases/?req=20090820a

jo maoma

Heisenberg
Reaction
great news and all but after living there for 6 years it's hard to
be envious of Texas when it comes to off-road access, WADR.... :D

public lands (open to public access) in NV: 81.1%

public lands (open to public access) in AZ: 53.6%

public lands (open to public access) in CA: 42.4%

public lands (open to public access) in TX: 1.9%

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Well, all land is private here...The majority of it is. Key word in your stats PUBLIC LAND. after the passage of SB155 our "public" lands shrank quite a bit however they did incorperate in the bill to replace the land that was taken, for OHV use.

So what good news do you have to report from your neck of the woods jo?
Granted, its hard to gain access the public lands here since there isnt much to get access too. However, we do have the Sam Houston National Forest, where you CAN drive an OHV. Cant say that for just about every other National Forest. There is some good things going on in the Lone Star State as far as OHV is concerned. Its a battle to keep it and get more.
We are fighting the good fight here.

jo maoma

Heisenberg
Reaction
now i know how touchy texans can be but please notice i did say in my post it's great news.... :D

...now come on out here for a ride i'll take you on one of my favorite dual sport rides: from
my house to death valley and back, 730 miles and less than 60 miles of it are on pavement.

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
Im all over that If I can swing it I will take you up on that. I was born and raised out there and used to ride from my driveway to Vegas if I wanted. A long as I could find a gas station. The farthest I went from my house(Palm Springs) was up the Chiraco Summit. I could fuel at the bottom of the grade and make it up and back then back home.
Its WAY different out here and its not really apples to apples. Ill take riding in the dez any day.
We make due with what we got and I can get some mileage out of where we ride. I will say this, mud SUCKS!!!!!!

jo maoma

Heisenberg
Reaction
Im all over that If I can swing it I will take you up on that. I was born and raised out there and used to ride from my driveway to Vegas if I wanted. A long as I could find a gas station. The farthest I went from my house(Palm Springs) was up the Chiraco Summit. I could fuel at the bottom of the grade and make it up and back then back home.
Its WAY different out here and its not really apples to apples. Ill take riding in the dez any day.
We make due with what we got and I can get some mileage out of where we ride. I will say this, mud SUCKS!!!!!!

i still haven't done it myself but i have a route for a Mexico to Canada
trip that has less than 150 miles of pavement, soon though....