Texas, utah, colorado guys need input

Kfalcon

Reaction
We are tired of living in california and have the option to transfer to any of these states. I want to be able to continue using the race truck and enjoying the desert but have no idea when it comes to these states. Are there deserts (real good driving / racing) deserts in these states that are some what comparable to california, arizona and nevada? Thanks I really have no idea. If there are what parts, counties, towns etc are close.

firedog

Reaction

Hurley37

Reaction
Colorado is a blast. Wyoming is close and has huge dunes and desert terrain with nobody around and no laws. Colorado off-road extreme is fun, and there's a couple sweet offroad hill climb associations too.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

mp_tx

Reaction
You need to narrow down Texas a bit. Big state.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WALSHMOTORSPORTS

Reaction
My family is about over ca. as well. We have taken a couple of road trips this year too. We really like Utah. For us you got desert and lots of it. Lake Powell, just epic, not to far. Go a little north gets a bit more green and some snow and trees. If you get bored you got Vegas for a anything you want night out and Nevada hosts some of the most epic desert races! Just our 2 cents and desert racing is a part of my life so having BITD in my backyard is pretty cool.

JaysinDesignz

Reaction
Only living in West Texas is worth desert racing & still reach Az & Ca races too.
If not then its time to switch to Rock Racing. All those states you can race Dirt Riot & Ultra4 races.

Check the results of SCORE & BITD. There are some Texas teams ruining a good day for California guys. But, its a drive to get to them.

I got a Texas rock racer I'll sell you that will spank lots in 4500 or modified class

desertspeed

Reaction
My family is about over ca. as well. We have taken a couple of road trips this year too. We really like Utah. For us you got desert and lots of it. Lake Powell, just epic, not to far. Go a little north gets a bit more green and some snow and trees. If you get bored you got Vegas for a anything you want night out and Nevada hosts some of the most epic desert races! Just our 2 cents and desert racing is a part of my life so having BITD in my backyard is pretty cool.
We moved to St George 3 years ago from San Diego and it was the best decision we have ever made. Lower cost of living, no traffic, great people, and amazing scenery. I can be in the dirt 2 miles from my house, not that it matters since you are allowed to drive off road vehicles on most roads. We have mountains, desert, rocks, sand, lakes, etc all close. Other than the summer heat, it is perfect. Wait, never mind, it sucks, no one else move here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

51rcr

Reaction
depends where you are in all of them. A good pick on location and you can hit lots of variety in a few hours. And lots of other hobbies if you have time.

51rcr

Reaction
We moved to St George 3 years ago from San Diego and it was the best decision we have ever made. Lower cost of living, no traffic, great people, and amazing scenery. I can be in the dirt 2 miles from my house, not that it matters since you are allowed to drive off road vehicles on most roads. We have mountains, desert, rocks, sand, lakes, etc all close. Other than the summer heat, it is perfect. Wait, never mind, it sucks, no one else move here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cedar city not far away gets you into the 4 seasons

Kyle D

Reaction
One portion of the cost of living goes up in UT......3.2% beer......it takes a few more to accomplish the task at hand. Leads to more bellyaches than hangovers. Haha

5280Ranger

Reaction
Colorado is a blast. Wyoming is close and has huge dunes and desert terrain with nobody around and no laws. Colorado off-road extreme is fun, and there's a couple sweet offroad hill climb associations too.

If you're ok with the ultra liberal politics of California and hordes of pot smoking hippies, you'll like Colorado. If you plan to keep desert racing I would look to western Colorado or not at all. Colorado Off Road Extreme could be cool, but it's not. I've been here for over 25 years and I've had enough. I'm giving up and moving to Texas where I can at least buy 30 round P-Mags.

Evans Motorsports

Reaction
Got tired of California personally and business wise a long time ago. Moved the business and 52 families to Nevada in 1992. The cost of living, business cost and politics we couldn't handle any longer. Loved the outdoors, off-roading, rock crawling, hunting, fishing, boating, hiking, world class entertainment and the wife added great shopping. Nevada has almost everything at your fingertips for every family members interest. Utah, Arizona and California are 3 1/2 hours away. Living in Nevada you have 5 desert racing groups within that these 4 states you can race with. No traffic jam in this town is longer then 30 minutes at its worst. People have this down town strip vision of Las Vegas however its much more. we do have great communities.

JDDurfey

Reaction
I am pretty partial to Texas, but the off-road scene here still needs improvement. The biggest problem in Texas that I see is that there is very little public land. Most of Texas is privately owned. There are huge ranches and some are open to racing and there are two small organizations here that are getting going, but as far as an area like Barstow or Lucerne Valley (or a whole bunch of places) where you can just go play, there just isn't much in Texas unfortunately.

As far as business and other concerns you might have, Texas is a great state. I love living here. I moved from Phoenix and other than not having really great riding areas, I don't miss the city.

johndjmix

Reaction
We love Colorado, you have endless non-desert ATV/ truck off road spots. Best part is you can have dinner in the heart of Denver, and be in the middle of no where off-road on top of a mountain 30 mins later. Then still get home before midnight. Haven't ever seen anywhere you can do that.

Disadvantages of CO:

Lack of desert terrain.

Driving over the mountains every time you go to a BITD race.

Extreme police traffic enforcement. You will get a ticket for anything. If you have an accident they will give you a reckless driving ticket even though they didn't see the accident!!! Crazy.

Price of homes/offices. From what I'm understanding Denver is higher than San Fran now. I pay 1,600 for a 1 bedroom. For office/warehouse space it's gotten tough, since all available space is rented to grow weed. Very frustrating trying to find an affordable space to expand our business.

But otherwise, colorado is awesome.

--John

43mod

Reaction
Way too many liberal anti gun people in Denver to go along w Johnjmix's comment above.
Did I mention my friend Johnjmix above is a damned anti gun liberal ?
I will give him full credit for being an absolute man of his word though :)
Love Russ

vegasloki

Reaction
Price of homes/offices. From what I'm understanding Denver is higher than San Fran now. I pay 1,600 for a 1 bedroom. For office/warehouse space it's gotten tough, since all available space is rented to grow weed. Very frustrating trying to find an affordable space to expand our business.
SF/Bay Area is the priciest rental market in the US. Denver is the 22nd.

Average Rent Prices in Denver, CO: Price Trends & Medians

Median home value in Denver about $385k. In SF it's 1.2 mil.
Denver CO Home Prices & Home Values | Zillow
San Francisco CA Home Prices & Home Values | Zillow

Of the three choices in the OP's destinations southern Utah is going to be the only thing close to the actual desert. West TX has some brushy type places but they aren't technically deserts. For being in a desert it's So Cal, NV or AZ. Or Baja if you really want to get out of California.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Southern Utah has plenty of Desert, is only a short drive to Vegas. Even Barstow is only a half day away towing. I even saw course markers from a UTV race at Sand Hollow the last time I was there riding.

Kfalcon

Reaction
Thank you guys for all the replies. My wife and I have read them all and they all helped. Someone talked about private lands in texas and the fact they aren't really desert like. I just got done spending many years building my 1450 desert truck and have no thoughts of selling to join a different type of racing. :)

Cost of living is a big reason for the move.

I have though hard about St. George and Cedar City. I guess looking at the map St george is basically like living in Arizona since its at the base of the climb towards Cedar City right? I can see how there would be ample places to drive there. How is the cost of living? I can look it up but real life cost of living from someone that lives there is better.

Cedar City would offer more seasons, but do you have to drive all the way back to St George area to get places to drive a desert truck? Whats the cost of living there compared to St George?

We would like to be close to a body of water. Powell is amazing but a drive from both Utah towns mentioned.

43mod

Reaction
I am not sure if you could pay me enough to be in Vegas. I am glad you like it and very possibly there is a good side to it. If racing were the center of your life then maybe it would seem better .