Text/Email plans in Europe

BGRANT

RDC Crypto
I am heading to Austria in two weeks with my son for the World Rookie Tour Finals of Snowboarding, anybody have input on sending texts via email or Skype with cell phones? I have never been to Europe and I just found out yesterday that we are going so I am scrambling.

Thanks in advance for any help.

michael_loomis

RDC Crypto
Who do you have?

I have AT&T, and over the 15 or so days we traveled Europe, I sent a ton of texts, used the web a bit and google maps, without local wifi, and my bill was $130 over what it normally is. AT&T was very helpful when I returned and backdated a plan that knocked it down to about $40.

I had Skype, Tango and Google Voice that I used when I had local wifi.

freddy

RDC Crypto
Look into getting a local sim card to put in your phone. You can usually get them in the airports when you arrive.

Yes, that would be my suggestion also, then you don't have to worry about any big bills.

Kartman

Media Goon
RDC Crypto
Website
DurkaDurkaPhoto.com
Look into getting a local sim card to put in your phone. You can usually get them in the airports when you arrive.
Agree except the airport part.

Take an unlocked GSM phone with you. Once in twon go to a local cell phone store, T mobile, Vodophone etc. Get a local sim card and pre paid plan. Usually pretty cheap. I always do this when traveling out of the US. I bring an old smartphone and have full access to email, web, sms etc.

BGRANT

RDC Crypto
Thanks. I head out Tuesday and might just use my phone at wifi hot spots and communicate with email or the text/email app.
Vodophone is huge in Europe and part of the same company as Verizon. Check the website in Austria for rates or call Verizon and tell them you need to speak to a Vodaphone person about setting up your phone for intl use.

sparkypyro

RDC Crypto
Make sure you turn off data roaming if that is your plan. Have heard many stories of those that forget to do this only to get a shock later at home when the phone bill arrives in the mail.

TyBo1001

RDC Crypto
Have a friend that just got back from Europe, they have Verizon. Added an international plan for $5 or so, and used their phone with no problem. Very few overage charges. They were all over Ireland and then in Prague. Call Verizon and check on their coverage in Austria, if you haven't. Otherwise I would suggest buying a disposable phone at the airport, when you arrive.

Kartman

Media Goon
RDC Crypto
Website
DurkaDurkaPhoto.com
Thanks. I head out Tuesday and might just use my phone at wifi hot spots and communicate with email or the text/email app.
That works well if in the center of town and wifi is everywhere. Also remember that all McDonalds over there have free wifi, Ive used it a few times to send deadline photos to my editor here when out in the boonies of europe.

BGRANT

RDC Crypto
Thanks. In Munich for a day and a half, had wifi at our place in Austria so communication was not an issue. Beer in Burger King is pretty awsome.