Th400 upgraded planetarys?

85yota

OK so I've gone through 3 th400's now in my 89 toyota pickup with a 350hp SBC and Th400. The trans has new clutches and steel, tci manual valve body, and a 32 sprag. All 3 have started whinning really bad and when torn apart the plantary gears are killed and have lots of play in them, and the last trans spun the rear case bushing and the thrust washer broke into 3 pieces. Any ideas on what to do or any ways to keep it alive. It's a stock fixed yoke tailhousing, doesn't have any bind or plunge issue, would a roller bearing tailhousing help this situation. Thanks.

DSRacing

Mini Metal MOD
Give Steve Culhane a call,

(951) 678-1669
18273 #6 Grand Ave. Lake Elsinore Ca.

RDEgal

A roller bearing tailhousing won't help the situation with the planetaries. It's the ratios. We have 2 that would probably help. The first is a 2.10 1st - 1.40 2nd - and a 1.1 3rd. The second close ratio set is a 1.95 1st - 1.34 2nd - and 1.1 3rd. Those ratios combined with the speciality material should help. If you'd like more information, please feel free to call us at 951-296-6163.

OK so I've gone through 3 th400's now in my 89 toyota pickup with a 350hp SBC and Th400. The trans has new clutches and steel, tci manual valve body, and a 32 sprag. All 3 have started whinning really bad and when torn apart the plantary gears are killed and have lots of play in them, and the last trans spun the rear case bushing and the thrust washer broke into 3 pieces. Any ideas on what to do or any ways to keep it alive. It's a stock fixed yoke tailhousing, doesn't have any bind or plunge issue, would a roller bearing tailhousing help this situation. Thanks.

vinnie909

thats weird im running a built th350 with 430hp SBC and i havent had any problems! its slip yoke out the back

85yota

well I'm running 5.43 gears in the 9in with 35" mtr's now. I had 5.0 rear gears and they lasted a couple hundred miles, but the last setup with the new gears lasted maybe 20-25miles at best. What ratio do you think would help me out here.