THANK YOU BYMA and VENTURA Racing! FIRE FIRE FIRE!

CHASETHISTOO

Reaction
This was an interesting race to say the least but we had an absolute blast given the circumstances.

The main reason we ran this race was to give pops some seat time. He hasn't driven the car at all this season.

We started the race with me riding shotgun which was a blast in its self. I have never ridden with pops in a race situation.
We ended it with me catching on fire closing in on the leader.

Now for the story.

There was plenty of lap traffic out there so we were picking our way through it when main radioed in that BYMA reported our car on fire. They were camped across from us and ran as fast as they could over to tell main their truck called in and said there were 6 to 7 foot flames shooting out the back of our car and that it definitely was not a backfire. They asked if we had anything that could get out there fast and main said we only had super duties so they ran back to their pit grabbed one of their caged trucks drove back over and told them to get in but by that time we had gotten most of the fire out.

We were motoring along picking through cars when the call came across. Jeff, my co-driver, was communicating with main and looked in his mirror confirming that we were in fact on fire yelling FIRE FIRE FIRE. As I got the car stopped it caused a backdraft of sorts. All the flames came forward up through the cab. I pulled the pins and both flame out knobs (drivers area and motor area), killed the battery and jumped out. I get to the back of the car and realize the engine compartment flameout didn’t go off. So I ran to the passenger side and grabbed the fire extinguisher and used it up. There were still flames so I run out into the course and savior number two comes buy. Ventura Racing 9 car. They gave me their extinguisher and I was able to put the rest of the flames out.

I was a scary deal but for whatever reason I stayed calm enough to remember what I had to do. I also have to thank RDC and all the people that put up their stories and steps on how to survive such a deal.

So once again THANK YOU BYMA. If it weren't for you guys we could have continued on potentially burning the car to the ground and giving us little to no time to get out safely.

And THANK YOU Ventura Racing. If you hadn't stopped we could have lost the entire car.

HSDMORGAN

Reaction
I saw you guys stopped on the side of the course. Glad you guys are ok, you looked to have a good race going.
Good luck next race. Also any idea what caused the fire?

CHASETHISTOO

Reaction
Thanks. We think we found the culprit.

A fitting split spraying a fine mist of oil straight onto the headers.

3 Amigos Racing

Reaction
Nice job 984!... stopping to help and racing all night to earn a 2nd for the day in class.

Bryan J

Reaction
Nice job 984!... stopping to help and racing all night to earn a 2nd for the day in class.
that was a battle ALL DAY! came down to 9 seconds, thats great racing!

CHASETHISTOO

Reaction
Lap 6 just before mile 46 and by our claculations running 2nd.

I wish MORE could credit 984 for the time spent helping me. I am truley gratefull to them for stopping!

I even made a point to tell Jim and Ron who had helped up and what great teams they were.

Bryan J

Reaction
Lap 6 just before mile 46 and by our claculations running 2nd.

I wish MORE could credit 984 for the time spent helping me. I am truley gratefull to them for stopping!

I even made a point to tell Jim and Ron who had helped up and what great teams they were.
Travis dont even worry about it! I was in 984 the first 3 laps as a co-driver, so i missed the fire experince but we will always stop to help a racer that needs it, racing is just racing, saftey always comes first.

NINERACER

Reaction
Always our pleasure to help someone and the one you have to thank is john Mccoy he drove lap 4 & 5. Glad no one was hurt. Jorge ventura.

Hawkeye

Reaction
Great to hear about racers helping each other out in a critical situation. The Bymas are great people and I've seen them help out all kinds of people out at the MORE races

mrmatt

Reaction
Travis dont even worry about it! I was in 984 the first 3 laps as a co-driver, so i missed the fire experince but we will always stop to help a racer that needs it, racing is just racing, saftey always comes first.

Great job to you and Jorge on those first 3 laps! You guys were running solid!

Way to go John for stopping to help Chase and still running such great times! Class act all the way!

And a HUGE Thank you to Jorge and Armando Ventura for letting me race with you guys...great car and a great team!

The Byma team are great people....always top notch!

Glad that nobody was hurt in the fire