• Forum membership has its advantages....

Thank you off road

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
What are you grateful for to off road? What has it done for you or helped you with?

For me, off road taught me a lot about cars, it helped me spend a lot of time with family, I met tons of great people, it kept me out of trouble I'm sure, and it taught me a lot about teamwork.

It also taught me how to blow all my money but that's a whole other subject.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
I think it can teach a lot of great values and I can't wait for my son to be old enough to go off road with me and learn all that I've learned from it

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

green787

It made me stop thinking I was [email protected]$$ out on the freeways with no helmet, cage, or harness... Road rage is stupid...

retroblazer

Green I don't know if it helps or hurts on road rage. Once you have tapped the back of someone's car on purpose, it's always hard trying to "not" imagine punting someone.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
In 1996 when I was asked to help work a road crossing for Best in the Desert, I had zero idea of what off road racing was. As a fairly new EMT, I was looking for something I could do in my life to help people. I was talking with a co-worker afterwards and he told me he helped coordinate first aid teams for races for several series and I jumped in -

My first race was in my wifes daily driver nissan pathfinder with a first aid bag and a fire extinguisher. Today I have the honor of coordinating medical teams for Off Road, Rally Car, Sand Drag, Motorcycle and other dirt sports. We have purpose built vehicles equipped with fire suppression, hydraulic extrication, advanced medical and tools most would be shocked to see show up in the middle of nowhere. I have two storage units filled with equipment as well as one of the most bad a$$ ambulances on the planet with a second one being built to match it. between what I own and what other of my teams have bought, we own 11 sets of hydraulic extrication tools. a half dozen AED's and enough medical gear to handle just about anything.

My first couple years with Casey, he was not anti safety, just anti preparing for it. His thought was if people saw medical and rescue teams they would think the sport is dangerous. Instead it has transitioned in all forms of racing we participate in to a necessity that no longer hides in the background.

I myself am one of the most intraverted people. 20 years and the number of people that I know and interact with daily is minimal compared to some that have been around less than 3 years in the sport. I have however gotten the privilege to provide assistance to some of the greatest people in our sport and the other sports we serve. I am fortunate to had the honor to make a difference in a few peoples lives. When the day comes that I have to step away, that right there is what I will take away with me.

That is what I thank off road for - That is what I thank all of you for allowing me and my team to be a part of.

EMS702

Rescue 1
Its been 11 years for me that I have been involved in off road. As a kid growing up in Vegas we used to go and watch The Mint 400. I really had no idea what those people did or who they were. I never thought it was mostly everyday people who had a passion for dirt sports. Many years later I was asked to check out a race with my then boss. Still not knowing of the people, I said yes. Now, years later they are like a 3rd family to me. How they all help each other and help others as well is incredible. Last year I was in line at a concert and a fellow in line in front of me had an SEI Racing Ultra 4 racing shirt on. I started a conversation and the next three days of the concert it was like we had known each other for years. You are instantly family, my wife is always amazed at how we pull for each other and help one another out. I have 3 families, my own, my EMS family, and off road family. Thankful for all of them.

ACME

Thankful for the opportunity and grateful for all the good friends, memories, stories we have and above all; being able race with my wife, son and brother. And thanks to all the course & safety workers as well as all who have pitted and supported our efforts throughout the years and donated your time; and to those who continue the fight so that we can race...

Bricoop

As an outsider who hasn't had his first chance to race, YET, here's a work contest I entered. Basically the contest was giving away $9K and 9 days of PTO for 10 employees. We each had to write an essay which exemplified how our dream aligns with the core values of the Company(core values in Bold) and a detailed budget of how the $9K will be spent. I've replaced the name of my company with "COMPANY" and some items were exaggerated for effect. Sorry Pete, they only chose more philanthropic ideas, my BL rental will have to wait a couple years. Essay follows:

When I first learned about the 90-90-9 program I knew immediately what I wanted to submit. For the past 15 years I have been obsessed with off-road racing trucks tearing across U.S. and Mexican soil. The small group of obsessed fans, drivers and teams have been affectionally named “La Familia,” (“the family” in English). I’ve listed COMPANY’s core values and a story or description of why off-road racing is the perfect analogy to COMPANY’s core values we embrace every day.

Due primarily to a lack of funding I’ve never been able to participate in an event. Most participants own their race vehicles. But for the casual sportsman with a large wallet there are rental programs available. During a race everyone wants to win, but only a few of the top teams have the resources to compete for the top spot on the podium. For the rest of us the passion for the sport is due to the adventure and racing community. It’s the reason I’ve followed countless races, via an online tracker (which is nothing more than the racers represented by dots on a course map updating every 2-5 minutes), hoping my favorite drivers will be the first dot to the finish line.

Excellence-Every truck “needs” a sponsor and a driver is always representing their sponsor’s brand. When out on the racetrack, signing autographs for fans, or enjoying drinks at one of the many parties held for the races a driver is always expected to perform in a professional manner. Similarly, COMPANY expects the same from its employees. For this race I’ll be printing vinyl decals with 2ft by 3ft COMPANY logos on them. But what good would the decals be if nobody gets the opportunity to see them? As such I’ll also be purchasing a photo package which includes a photographer in a helicopter.

Stewardship- Some families have seen 3 or more generations of racers. One of the most rewarding things I get to do at COMPANY is teach colleagues and clients many of the things I’ve learned at COMPANY over the past 6 years. Whether it’s an associate at their first week long training or a CFO struggling through the complexities of ASC 805, it brings me pleasure and pride to teach others. As a second generation CPA, it’s hard not to compare the similarities to many things my father taught me. Some of the best racers ever began winning races as teenagers thanks to the knowledge they gained as children from old-time drivers.

Respect-Faster trucks are given the right-of-way. During races trucks are often not able to pass due to many parts of the racecourse being too narrow. As such, when you catch another truck they should move over to allow the faster truck to pass. Almost always the slower truck will respect that the truck behind them is faster and will yield to the side of the course to allow the faster truck to pass. It’s common for racers who were fierce competitors just hours before to share tall tales and laughs about the adventure they just had.

Integrity-There’s an unwritten rulebook in off-road racing to always do the right thing. Whether it’s having your pit crew tow a competitor out of a ditch or something more serious, La Familia is always there to help. Inevitably people get hurt when you combine dust, motorcycles and 5 ton trucks simultaneously racing on the same course. Even if you’re racing for the win, if you see someone pulled over you stop and ask if they’re ok. Almost always they are just fine. But occasionally racers will be the first ones to the scene of an accident. Over the 6 decades of off-road racing there have numerous stories of drivers giving up all hope of a win to transport an injured competitor to a road with a waiting ambulance or a cleared field where a helicopter can land. Time and time again off-road racing has shown its unwavering integrity.

Teamwork-A racecar is more than just a driver. Some teams have 2 dozen people to help support a single truck. A trusted co-driver is just as important as the driver. A co-driver is attentive to the course-notes to warn the driver of hazards such as sudden sharp turns and cliffs. A co-driver should be handy with tools and is often an engineer or mechanic. When a truck breaks down in the desert it is up to the driver and co-driver to make repairs. And probably most importantly a co-driver is there to help relax the driver; to calm them down when things don’t go according to plan.

It takes total concentration on the driver’s part to prevent a wreck, any distractions can lead to disaster. That’s why I’ll have my younger brother and only sibling sitting in the right seat. We we’re very close growing up, but over the past 7 years he’s been busy with school and the military and unfortunately I have not been able to see him much. As an engineer and pilot in the US Air Force I know he has the skillset which will be perfect for the co-driver role. It would also be a great way to spend time together prior to him deploying to the Middle East.

Competing in a 400 mile race through the desert with COMPANY on my hood and doors would fulfill my dreams and be the thrill of a lifetime.

Budget:

$6,000 Truck rental including safety gear, fuel and pit crew.

$250 Photo package including shots from a helicopter

$300 Vinyl decals with the COMPANY logo

$50 Food the night before the race

$600 Airfare for me and my brother

$450 2 hotel nights

$700 Budget for flat tires and any damage to rental truck.

$650 Postrace party for the race team, friends and colleagues who attend the race.

harleys dad

there are so many things off road has shaped my life, I have learned how to be a welder that went on to be my job all my working life for major aerospace companies, fabricater and cage builder, engine builder Vw mechanic that allowed me to branch into other vehicles, transmission builder, shock mechanic and tuner, car builder and designer, trailer builder suspension tuner met my wife of over 30 years because of a off road race at saddleback park and the best part is all the friends I have made directly because of off road racing. I was born into off road going to the sand dunes 2 days after I was born in 1961 and ever aspect of my life has been connected to this sport since.