• Forum membership has its advantages....

Thanks for all the shops to look for Jobs!!

sirhk100

A while back I asked for a list of all the shops and possible offroad related places in San Diego. I'd like to thank you all for the help. I've accepted an offer from RCD (<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.racecardynamics.com>www.racecardynamics.com</A>) for an awesome position that actually puts my college degree to use and the pay is better then I expected to ever start out at in the industry.

Thanks again!!

Khris Kading

'99YZ400,
'92 Ford Exploder lifted work in progress,
lifted golf cart

Clifford

Khris, Would you mind sharing what you'll be doing for RCD. I've seen a few of their lifts around and think they look pretty hot. When I'm able to afford my Silverado I'd like to use an RCD lift.

sirhk100

I'm not sure what my actual title will be but from the job description that the owner described it basically sounds like a production engineer. I'll be involved in making sure that each system smoothly makes it from conception/R&D, to 1st run production of just a few kits for testing and modifications, to main production, to public release, and being shipped out the door. Also I will be involved in scheduling for work orders to the production floor as already developed systems are needed to be produced. Right now they only have one person basically overseeing the entire production process from start to finish which was fine but they are exploding as a company and the one person is just overwhelmed. If anyone else is looking for jobs in the industry send them resumes and cover letters. I just blindly sent them one without any inside contacts and I got in. I know for a fact that they are looking for a maintenance person to do upkeep on their production equipment and install and setup some new equipment they will be getting soon. Also I think they may be looking for another AutoCad drawer.

Right now my unbiased opinion of the company just from my 2 interviews with them is they are making a very high quality "mass produced" suspension system. I'm sure my opinions will become biased once I start there so I'll write this now. From what I saw touring the facility they looked better then Pro Comp for sure cause they seemed to take the extra steps in quality that you don't see from the other mass produced systems. In fact the owner said they used to build Pro Comps kits but split up the relationship because Pro Comp would build a kit and become complacent with it instead of continuously trying to improve on ideas. The owner said RCD only uses quality parts and processes (for instance all their kits come with Bilstein shocks). He said they are always continuously looking for ways to improve their kits. (Look at that bolt on SAW coilover system for new rangers at SEMA and the Expo, I havn't seen Pro Comp or Rancho ever produce something that thurough as a mass produced bolt on kit) If they have a kit that works well they don't just sit back and let it sell, they continue to look for ways to improve it in their manufacturing processes. Another thing that stuck out in talking with them is that they set and determine their own time schedules when developing systems. They don't set public release dates to alleviate the pressures of meeting deadlines. He said that once a system is built to their standards and up to what they think the public will expect then they will release it to the public. This makes total sense to me cause how often do you see companies say they're building something and it will be out on a certain date. Then they are rushed to produce it in time and it turns out to be disappointing (Cannondale's 1st dirt bikes for instance). Anyways, that's my thoughts on RCD from just the interviews. I don't work there yet, I start in 2 weeks so if in the future you have questions keep me in mind and hopefully I can answer them or at least find an answer for it. And yeah, I know their stuff isn't as cool as the custom stuff most of the people here deal with but for a mass produced system it looks REALLY nice!!

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart

Jimmy8

Congats on the job.

"We've done so much with so little for so long, we can do anything with nothing!"

Ryno

Khris-

Congrats on the job. Better yet, congrats on getting a better commute!! RCD is in fallbrook? Hey, don't mean to sound like this, but check out the driveline angles on the 88-98 Chevy IFS kit. I have friends that have them and they have some issues. =( I think they make great stuff, delrin bushings are your friend!

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

DougM

On a side note..

The guy that owns RCD, used to own ORD that made the first bent/aligned 2WD I -beam kits for the Rangers..Sweet item and alot of Rangers in San Diego area still run the beams with the little orange ORD stick on the plated beams..Ask him about it Khris when you start working there...

just my old school memory for the day..

Clifford

Congrats Khris. Sounds like you'll have your hands full once you start, especially in the R & D of these kits. Does RCD have a team of designers that you'll be working with? I've been told Fabtech has quite a few guys designing kits for them on a computer program.

sirhk100

From what I understand the owner has a designshop up in the LA area that he works with for the initial design. Then they take that and tweak it to their needs. I'm really excited about the job, it's pretty much exactly what I went to school for and it's in a off road related industry so I'm stoked with that!!

'99YZ400,
lifted golf cart