Thanks RC-10

Nash!

RDC Crypto
I think the ad is brilliant! The line at the end says it all “there is enough room for everyone..." I've commented on this in a prior post shortly after the whole debacle happened. Think about the buzz this has created by covering up a sponsor. You CAN'T buy PR like that! I think Team A saw an opportunity and ran with it! Kudos! Those are all great examples Kartman.

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?p=803467#post803467

May 15th, 2009, 22:31

The "sponsor ban" is a terrible thing on many levels; however what is most unfortunate is the fact that if handled correctly, this could have been a TV-color commentators dream. Think Home Depot vs. Lowes... the battle of the beer cars... FedEx vs. UPS...Jeff Gordon + Pepsi vs. the “Coca-Cola Family of Drivers”... (You get the idea!) My point being, why couldn’t a Traxxas vs. Team Associated rival have a nice fit in the series?

For one, the whole thing just leaves a bad taste in your mouth at a time when the series should be trying real hard to secure talent + sponsors. I really hope TORC succeeds it just seems like a poor choice at a critical time in a series infancy. I am sure this is going to be a firestorm and I hope it is handled with care.

Looking at the pictures of Coyne's truck made me reminisce back to high school. If you wore a t-shirt with something borderline inappropriate, the teachers would have you turn your shirt inside-out. This became more distracting and disruptive than the shirt itself. Sort of like the fluorescent orange X's we are suppose to pretend aren't there on the side of the truck.

In a nutshell, poor decision! (My .02)

SEANY

RDC Crypto
I haven't posted in the short course thread for a while because I am so over the whole "battle"

Pat, this ad is marketing brilliance!! and its all TORCS fault for this ad being printed. They made the STUPID decision to make them cover there logo and now RC-10 is running with it. Shame on TORC for choosing to do this the first race, and whats funny is they changed there mind by perris because they knew they shot there selfs in the foot by doing so.

Great job RC-10 I hope you make some of that money back that you lost in texas. I haven't heard anything about a lawsuit over it, if there's not that tells a lot about RC-10's character.

greg marsh

RDC Crypto
I think the response ad is smart. I think both sides could capitalize on this budding rivalry by having a sponsored "one on one" event. Put the Traxxas pro 4 against the RC-10 pro-4 (maybe Pro Comp is willing to move from the hood to the door for a special event?). Winner gets bragging rights.

Nobody really loses. Its all good press...

pdailey

Pug Dad
RDC Crypto
So TORC should have not taken TRAXXAS' money? Last time I checked, economic times are tough, especially for a start up series. Traxxas had one stipulation when they signed the contract, no competition. Gimme a break. If we were all in TORC's shoes, we all would have done the same thing. You are comical Sean. Thank you TRAXXAS for allowing TORC to field a great series.

Kartman

Media Goon
RDC Crypto
Website
DurkaDurkaPhoto.com
So TORC should have not taken TRAXXAS's money? Last time I checked, economic times are tough, especially for a start up series. Traxxas had one stipulation when they signed the contract, no competition. Gimme a break. If we were all in TORC's shoes, we all would have done the same thing. You are comical Sean. Thank you TRAXXAS for allowing TORC to field a great series.

Please answer my original question without changing the subject.

Do you plan to boycott and condemn, Audi, BMW, Subaru, Pepsi, Chevy, Apple and all the other companies that do the exact same thing AE did? How about the publications and media outlets that run similar ads for those companies?

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
RDC Crypto
Do you plan to boycott and condemn, Audi, BMW, Subaru, Pepsi, Chevy, Apple and all the other companies that do the exact same thing AE did? How about the publications and media outlets that run similar ads for those companies?

... those companies are on a whole other level and have been around for years. LOORS and TORC are just starting up and BOTH are hurting for race entries... crap like this doesn't help, especially for a magazine that is for the most part non-bias and has a VERY small audience

great ad, bad taste .... just my opinion

.....i personally think WE should all keep fighting and kill desert racing and short course racing as we know it .....

Kartman

Media Goon
RDC Crypto
Website
DurkaDurkaPhoto.com
... those companies are on a whole other level and have been around for years. LOORS and TORC are just starting up and BOTH are hurting for race entries... crap like this doesn't help, especially for a magazine that is for the most part non-bias and has a VERY small audience

The ad is about AE and Traxxas not LOORRS and TORC. AE and Traxxas have both been around quite awhile, does that make it ok now? If it was sponsors of SCORE and BITD would that be ok, since they are not new?

I fail to see how an RC company taking a friendly shot at another RC company in a print ad has anything to do with short course racing entry numbers. It doesn't.

Magazines rely on ads to stay afloat. Why is it ok for a series to take a sponsor when they need to money operate but not a a magazine who needs it for the same reason?

The sky is not falling Chicken Little, its just companies advertising their products.

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
RDC Crypto
point taken, i just think it's a low blow and bad decision on dirtsports part.... im not all fired up like some people are and i will keep reading dirtsports, i just think we ALL should be trying to work together to better our sport... that's all

pdailey

Pug Dad
RDC Crypto
Adam feels the same way I do. A knee jerk reaction after seeig it last night with a few coors lights in me. Still poor taste IMO for the few of us that know the real story......

Intersting though that AE decided to run that ad in the Dirtsports edition that does a feature on TORC.

And kartman. I don't own or drink any of those. Hahahahaha

pappawheely

O.G. Photo
RDC Crypto
Website
www.mikesracephoto.com
You guys are making a mountain out of a molehill. To put this on Dirtsports or LOORRS is totally ridiculous. I have a question, if the non competition policy was laid out to TORC by Traxxas, how come nobody told the Coynes before they hauled all the way to Texas?

Hesco

RDC Crypto
The ad did exactly what every marketing person in the world hopes for, and what every advertiser pays for. It got attention. Good press, or bad press... controversial and memorable... beats indifference hands down.

Bill

Carlos Danger
RDC Crypto
Adam feels the same way I do. A knee jerk reaction after seeig it last night with a few coors lights in me. Still poor taste IMO for the few of us that know the real story......

Intersting though that AE decided to run that ad in the Dirtsports edition that does a feature on TORC.

Liar.You own a Duramax.:D:D

Demp

#mikesson
RDC Crypto
well well well....:eek:

Ringers Gloves is a major supporter of my racing program. If I was entered in a series that was fronted by Mechanix Wear and wouldn't allow me to race because I have Ringers logos all over my car, I would be pissed off as hell. Look at Nascar... Fedex vs. UPS... or check this is out... I work for Kia Motors America... Look at our add against Toyota... smart marketing wins IMO

Last edited by a moderator:

Kartman

Media Goon
RDC Crypto
Website
DurkaDurkaPhoto.com

What brand is your chase truck? Chevy as I recall. Audi is owned by VW, you have one of those. Do you own a Traxxas RC car? Is that why you are so bent out of shape? Did you take a Rustler to the track and get smoked by a T4 or XXXT?

Anyway, Im done, carry on.

BoothPacific Films

RDC Crypto
They need a new ART DEPT and copyright. That ad is LAME...in capitol letters.
Message is what it is, pretty harmless but the entire rest...yiiikes kinda brings down the whole mag... If you were a non-endemic looking to "get in" to Off Road is this what you want to see as your new associates in the sport...?

Holy Smokes, who approved that...? I'f you're gonna try and hit hard maybe sharpen up the ol' pencil and fire up photoshop at least..
Cheapens your message as a whole BIG TIME. I wouldn't expect any retalliation from "they".

Cheap is Cheap and a trophy here and there doesn't buy CLASS.

fire away

yeah no kidding. in this day and age you gotta do better than that.

are you in Crandon Scott?

Marty Fiolka

RDC Crypto
"crap like this doesn't help, especially for a magazine that is for the most part non-bias and has a VERY mall audience (quote)"

Don't want to engage in the rather lively discussion on the RC-10 ad or its message, but I have to take a little exception to the VERY (in caps) small audience comment. Via subs, event distribution and retailers, we distribute 55,000-plus copies of Dirt Sports a month. While that is small compared to books like Automobile or Car and Driver, in the off-road world that equates to a very healthy number of readers.

Marty

Greg

RDC Crypto
Website
prerunners.com
The ad did EXACTLY what it was supposed to do...generate interest for AE. I typically just borrow a copy of Dirt Sports and leave it on the tank behind the bowl for 2-3 minutes of daily power reading and would have never even paid attention to the ad. But now, with all this controversy, I will be actively looking to see and how it affects my opinion of these two companies...which I really had not even thought about before. Mr Dailey just boosted AE's publicity by bringing this ad to light and has handed AE a huge amount of free press. I'm sure not his intent, but I assure you that AE will surely appreciate this thread.

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
RDC Crypto
"crap like this doesn't help, especially for a magazine that is for the most part non-bias and has a VERY mall audience (quote)"

Don't want to engage in the rather lively discussion on the RC-10 ad or its message, but I have to take a little exception to the VERY (in caps) small audience comment. Via subs, event distribution and retailers, we distribute 55,000-plus copies of Dirt Sports a month. While that is small compared to books like Automobile or Car and Driver, in the off-road world that equates to a very healthy number of readers.

Marty

marty

it wasn't my intention to down play dirtsports, lets face it i'm running to the mail box at the beginning of every month to see if my newest issue of dirtsports has came yet. when i said "VERY small" i was referring to the the community itself that reads dirtsports, compared to say Car&Driver/road and track or something like that that where they might have an audience of a wider range of people. there was no ill intent meant Marty, i have A LOT of respect for you guys over there at dirtsports, and i'm a HUGE fan as well (and have every issue to prove it :D )

adam