The 2017 FORD Raptor Revealed!

Reaction
We can all stop holding our breath! FORD has revealed the 2017 FORD Raptor and it is pure bad ass! How do you make a Raptor better? You lighten it buy utilizing FORD’s new aluminum body construction, add a twin-turbo Ecoboost V6 engine, connect that to a 10-speed transmission, make it six inches wider than the standard model, and add new FOX 3.0 shocks to start.

More:

http://www.race-dezert.com/home/2017-ford-raptor-revealed-119614.html

2017-FORD-Raptor-rdc_header_02.jpg

What do you think about the V6 and other changes?

Dirty Harry

Reaction
Kudos to Ford for upping the game, particularly when they didn't even have to since no other OEMs are challenging them in this segment.

wheezy

"PRO PHOTO"
Reaction
Sure looks rad. I'm not sure what to think about the specs though. 10spd trans?

I'm sure they put a lot of work into this and worked with guys that have forgotten more than I'll ever know about how to make such an animal work well. Can't wait to see the real world results from these changes. I'll be due for a new truck right about the time these come out. Maybe I'll take one for the team and be a guinea pig. o_O

Chris Tobin

Reaction
By the specs I've seen so far I would say Ford addressed the frame issues of the first Raptors since they say the aluminum body saved 500-pounds while they have said it saves 700-pounds on the standard Ford trucks and that the Raptor rides on a unique to the Raptor frame. I would guess they beefed up the frame considerably and that is part of the 200-pounds of additional weight compared to the regular truck.

The twin-turbo V6 should get decent mileage around town and be powerful when needed, especially with aftermarket tuning and turbos!!!

I too, am shocked that the other manufacturers have not stepped up to the plate. I just read about the Ram 1500 Rebel and it is just a body package. The Ram exec said it is not competing against the Raptor, but the best comparison would be to the TRD Pro so it is a shock and sticker package soft roader... I wish GM, Ram and the rest of the imports would build a Raptor competitor!!!!

moemag

Reaction
...ya know. I would Love one of these... I wish it was a twin turbo V8... but yeah. Here's the gig, if Toyota showed up with a "Dakar edition" TRD diesel Hilux for US market... I wouldn't even think twice.

ciscokid8

Reaction
The other manufactures should support the sport, offer contingency, help put on races, attend races... not ride the coat tails of Ford. Only after they have put some time and money into it, should they try and make a buck off of us

Reaction
...ya know. I would Love one of these... I wish it was a twin turbo V8... but yeah. Here's the gig, if Toyota showed up with a "Dakar edition" TRD diesel Hilux for US market... I wouldn't even think twice.
Your right it would still be just a Toyota - no second thought needed.

El Mamito USMC

Reaction
man I wish the Nissan Titan would compete against this beast. at least the Tundra TRD is also a great platform.

let see the new Cummins how it rolls out

idealer

Reaction
That Titan is butt ugly, that only a mother could love.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Titan is coming with a Cummins diesel?
Sure is, a 5.0L V8 Cummins engine!!! A lot of the performance diesel guys are very excited about the engine... but as others have said, it comes in an Ugly package!

johnnyweb

Reaction
Sure is, a 5.0L V8 Cummins engine!!! A lot of the performance diesel guys are very excited about the engine... but as others have said, it comes in an Ugly package!
I sure hope it performs better than the Dodge Ram eco diesel. It got its ass handed to it Towing 7000lbs by a 2.7liter ecoboost Ford.

dan200

#BSF200
Reaction
By the specs I've seen so far I would say Ford addressed the frame issues of the first Raptors since they say the aluminum body saved 500-pounds while they have said it saves 700-pounds on the standard Ford trucks and that the Raptor rides on a unique to the Raptor frame. I would guess they beefed up the frame considerably and that is part of the 200-pounds of additional weight compared to the regular truck.
Fixing the weak point with the bent frame issue would take no where near 200 pounds of metal. All they woulda had to do was plate a hole in the frame. The shocks will be heavier since they are bigger. Bigger front arms too, right? But even with that it still seems like yer right and the frame is a bit more stout.

Our shop made a eco raptor (a few actually) and they scooted and got awesome mileage too. In fact, off the line, our first one (with a chip, intake and exhaust) would walk away from our long travel raptor with a SC. Eco had 35's vs 37's though.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
I sure hope it performs better than the Dodge Ram eco diesel. It got its ass handed to it Towing 7000lbs by a 2.7liter ecoboost Ford.
No replacement for displacement right!?!?!?! The V8 Cummins is a 5.0L while the V6 VM Motori is a 3.0L engine. I am surprised the 2.7L gasser beat it though, but I haven't driven one yet... I'm sure with aftermarket exhaust and tuning it will do a lot better!!! The guys at Banks Power have been importing and working with a version of this engine for a few years and they seem to be making good power with it so I would expect them to offer aftermarket parts for the Ram soon...

Fixing the weak point with the bent frame issue would take no where near 200 pounds of metal. All they woulda had to do was plate a hole in the frame. The shocks will be heavier since they are bigger. Bigger front arms too, right? But even with that it still seems like yer right and the frame is a bit more stout.

Our shop made a eco raptor (a few actually) and they scooted and got awesome mileage too. In fact, off the line, our first one (with a chip, intake and exhaust) would walk away from our long travel raptor with a SC. Eco had 35's vs 37's though.
They may potentially do a larger frame rather than simply box/plate to address weak points, who knows?!?!?!

Either way, I still wish other manufacturers would build a Raptor competitor rather than sticker and shock package trucks or special edition paint trucks!!!! It would be great to see a factory Ram Runner, Chevy Baja and TRD Toyota line up against the Raptor with real competition!!!

Last edited: