The Best Cordless Impact?

E.Hagle

Reaction
The thing i dont like about my Mil impact (The small one you use for drywall screws and such) is, if you slowly tighten a screw in with it, without "impacting" it, just barely pressing the trigger...when the screw stops, and you press more it will not turn the screw. You have to release then re-press it.

My neighbors milwalkie doesnt do that...it works normally. Mine is brand new. Im thinking there are several different milwalkie small impacts, and mine is one of the home depot models that sucks.

--John
You’re referencing a very entry level “impact driver” that is very different from the “impact gun” everyone else is referencing.

johndjmix

Reaction
Correct....the impact driver, thanks for the correction. For impact guns, i like my 3/8 snap on. But for 1/2", nothing beats my harbor freight earthquake. Its actually a bit too much, it strips the lugs on the race truck if you dont use the torque-limiting extension.

--John

joshmx88

Reaction
Sounds about right, the small impact drivers have a clutch in them that does that. It is there to keep from stripping out screws and should be adjustable. It works great as a drill too.

E.Hagle

Reaction
Correct....the impact driver, thanks for the correction. For impact guns, i like my 3/8 snap on. But for 1/2", nothing beats my harbor freight earthquake. Its actually a bit too much, it strips the lugs on the race truck if you dont use the torque-limiting extension.

--John
I can promise you the newer Milwaukee 1/2” impacts would leave you floored with power to weight ratio as well as clutch features designated by power level buttons on the impact. The best part is the batteries to be honest though. I can promise you the Milwaukee line is head and shoulders above the competition. There’s guys all over YouTube testing these things to failure point whether it’s the battery, impact torque load or anvil shear.

P.S. HomeDepot.com gives out much better deals on tools and bundles than you’ll ever find in store. Milwaukee and other brands don’t actually sell the tools to the store but rather uses them as a store front. When you buy online they can give you a huge discount due to not having to ship the product and pay people down the line to get it to staging. Direct from the shelf in the warehouse is a much better process for everyone if you’re already aware of what you need and can wait for 2 days.

JDDurfey

Reaction
I can promise you the newer Milwaukee 1/2” impacts would leave you floored with power to weight ratio as well as clutch features designated by power level buttons on the impact. The best part is the batteries to be honest though. I can promise you the Milwaukee line is head and shoulders above the competition. There’s guys all over YouTube testing these things to failure point whether it’s the battery, impact torque load or anvil shear.

P.S. HomeDepot.com gives out much better deals on tools and bundles than you’ll ever find in store. Milwaukee and other brands don’t actually sell the tools to the store but rather uses them as a store front. When you buy online they can give you a huge discount due to not having to ship the product and pay people down the line to get it to staging. Direct from the shelf in the warehouse is a much better process for everyone if you’re already aware of what you need and can wait for 2 days.

I'll second this comment. If you watch HomeDepot.com you will find package deals. There is also a bit of a scam you can pull on them. At times they offer "free" tools with a drill/driver combo. They bundle three tools together, but give a separate receipt for the separate tool. So you can actually return the drill and driver and keep the third tool at a huge discount. I know that is a little shady, but they are the ones offering it.

sredish

Reaction
I was just looking at getting a new milwaukee... i'm having a hard time deciding for the mid vs high torque. it'll strictly be a lug nut truck gun. I feel the high torque is a bit excessive torque wise for lugs but you never know when you could need it but then the mid should be more than fine and easier to store in extremely valuable storage space.

E.Hagle

Reaction
I was just looking at getting a new milwaukee... i'm having a hard time deciding for the mid vs high torque. it'll strictly be a lug nut truck gun. I feel the high torque is a bit excessive torque wise for lugs but you never know when you could need it but then the mid should be more than fine and easier to store in extremely valuable storage space.
It can get confusing but make sure you take a look at the part number and cross reference it with Milwaukee’s website. Some people out there are still selling the old non fuel “mid” torque and its junk compared to what you should be getting.

mfs

Reaction
Website
www.facebook.com
I have the mid-torque, I'm very happy with it. A friend of mine has the high torque gun it's too big IMO. Before that I had a snap on nicad impact it got weak, and I had a tire come off. But it had an angled head which I liked better, the battery on the Milwaukee hits the tire, and you need an extension.

Big Whitey

Reaction
When I bought my snap on 1/2 “ drive they were the best out. But of course that changed shortly after I over spent on them. I have had them for a few years and they do work great but now I’m having battery issues, impact strength weakens quickly. i have a couple of the Milwaukee impacts and like 20 plus batteries so that is where I am replacing the big name stuff with As needed. Anyone want to make a (real) offer on 3 snap on 1/2” impacts

PaulW

Reaction
A very old thread. Here are recent test results. They evaluate Speed, Power, Run time, and Charge time.
Consumer Reports highest testing. They only test consumer products – not specialty products which means Snap On like products are ignored due to lack of sales and users.

Heavy duty18-20v
Highest rating and highest power
Milwaukee 2805-22 $330.00DeWalt DCF887D2 $200
DeWalt DCD991P2 $300.00
Kobalt (Lowe’s) KXDD 1424A-03 $125 (slow charging)

Much less performance and poor overall rating
DeWalt DCD792D2
Makita XFD061
DeWalt DCD791D2
Craftsman CMCD720D2
Makita XFD12R
Ridgid R86116K
Ryobi P1815
Porter-Cable PCCK607LB
Milwaukee 2801-22CT
Craftsman CMCD710C1
Metabo HPT DS18DDXM