the best non BFG off-road tires

TxPhPrerunner

Reaction
BFG has long been accepted as the king of desert tires, but in the spirit of the boicot of the French those of us who have no contracts with BFG or other obligation to BFG may be looking for alternatives. There are people on the bbs, I'm sure, that have and do already use other makes of tires. So what are the best no BFG tires in common desert sizes (33, 35, 37, exct). I know that it is unlikely that there will be much if any agreement on this issue, however the discussion should help people who are interested in making more informed choices.
Thanks.

I don't live on the edge. I fell over long ago.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Goodyear

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

Jordan

Reaction
Kritter I ran those tires for 6 months on my Toyota. They held up strong but I lost a lot of traction response with them. I just run normal BFG ATKO's now and they respond much better. They were also too heavy for my taste.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jordansrealm.com>JordansRealm.com</A>

evan_clanin

Reaction
i ran wranglers and had good wear on and off road, and they were not roaring down the road either

Can blind people be dyslexic when they read Braille?

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
The tire Kris posted is the Kevlar race version and was a pretty nice tire, It is not available to the public
and is bulletproof offroad, I had one full of cactus needles and it never went flat. I think a great non BFG tire for the street and some dirt is the Pro Comp all Terrain. I ran this tire twice now and its so quiet and wears incredibly well. I think people need to look at whos supporting the sport, next to BFG goodyear is really big sponsoring a lot of teams in BITD. So if you are in the market. I would say support the sport you are building your truck for. Go Goodyear.

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
GoodYear! I have run BFG for years. They are great Tires. Now we run GoodYears; the new good years are awesome! We had no flats at our last race. That says alot because John had some and so did a few others on BFG. GoodYear makes MTR, and ATS. They work really well it just depends on your needs.
The Tires in the photo are MTR's

Jkrell

Reaction
Just a clarification on my flat tire (I am guessing Jerry is talking about me). I hit a huge rock going about 40-50mph. The tire really didn't have a chance....I have been really happy with the BFG A/T's in the desert all around.

I have run Bridgestone Duellar A/T's in the past. They are a way better street tire than the BFG's increasing on-road handling by a substantial degree. Off-road they are a bit lacking. I put a lot of miles on them off-road but with only a double side wall and a pretty soft compound they were more prone to flats and pin-holes. Overall a great tire though. If I had a truck that saw mostly street miles and light off-roading I would definately run them again. One additional thing. Even though they are of a seeming soft compound they seem to last forever on the street....way longer than any BFG I have run.

Jon

bajaruner11

Reaction
Ok what part of this am I missing? What do the French and BFGoodrich have to do with one another, and why would you boycott BFG? They put more money into our sport than any other tire manufacture.
No I'm not some diehard BFG guy, and I agree that it's always a good idea to have a variety of options at hand, but boycott? HHHMMM. On anouther note Bridgestone has long made a quality tire in there desert dualer series that can be trusted, along with Goodyear.

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
You mean there is actually another tire manufacturer besides BFGoodrich???? Not in my book!

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
according to my sources (i always wanted to say that) bfg TIRES was bought by michellin. bfg is now really bf aerospace (which is now simply "goodrich") or something like that. so what does any of this have to do with the french?

btw my dad (source) werks for goodrich.

Billy_the_Kid

Reaction
What about Kumho tires? There's starting to be more people in CORR using their tires with some success.

<A target=" blank" HREF=http://www.kumhotireusa.com>www.kumhotireusa.com</A>

Bill Schmitt

billymanfroy

Reaction
I've done a lot of short course, and a lot of desert. I've run cheapy tires, and I've run BFG and Goodyears. GOODYEAR IS THE ONLY THING I'LL RUN FROM NOW ON. I never tried project TA's but EVERYTHING else (AT, MT, Baja) gave me lots of flats. I started running the 33x11.50 kevlar Goodyears pictured above, and have NEVER gotten even one flat with them. EVER! I ran Baja's on the rear once because I was worried about getting stuck in the silt with the non-aggressive tread on the Goodyears. I got a flat with the Baja within 50 miles. The crappy part is, I didn't need more traction, I needed more horsepower. Live and learn.

GO GOODYEAR!

Billy Manfroy

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
Dale Ebberts/Ernie Castro have won 3 in a row (2 overall) on BFG's without a flat. Alot to do with driving style.

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
I dont think anyone has actual proof one tire is better then then other, so its like a shock war, people will post what they think is right or wrong. Jerry is plugging goodyear and he is sponsored by them, DMS is sponsored by Goodyear, IF they were backed by BFG I think we would be reading a totally different thread. Like I said in my earlier post, support those that support the sport. Every tire has its good quality's. BFG has dominated for years. Some guys can keep all terrains alive all day while others cant keep projects on the rim. Does that make them a good or bad tire. Nope.. If you must boycott BFG for whatever reason then go Goodyears.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
John is right, this thread is totally subjective to personal preference and I would have to agree that if Kris and Jerry (not picking on you guys) were not sponsored by Goodyear, this thread would be a little different. Until Goodyear or whomever steps up to the level of dedication BFG has to the sport, I will continue to run BFG's.

See ya in the dirt!

TxPhPrerunner

Reaction
I would like to refer you to my quote from my post.
"I know that it is unlikely that there will be much if any agreement on this issue, however the discussion should help people who are interested in making more informed choices."
I knew that the posts would be opinions. I also asked for the best non BFG I know they are good, possibly the best if there is such a thing in such a subjective issue. The posts do however let me and other people know what tires other than BFGs have worked well. That is what I wanted to know.
As for those who asked about the boycott issue Michelin and BFG are now owned by a French Company.

I don't live on the edge. I fell over long ago.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Re-read the thread title...BFG was not a choice!!! I run BFGs on my truck and I like them a lot. I suffered a flat on saturday in Barstow which was purely driver error and I am lucky thats all I suffered...but again read the title of the thread...BFG was not a choice.

I would defintly be running the Kevlar goodyears on my rig if they were free for me:)

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

evan_clanin

Reaction
right now i had to get a new set or rears and went with the sears gaurdsman, haha talk about ghetto, the hold up to some rough abuse though

Can blind people be dyslexic when they read Braille?

hoeker

Reaction
i think you guys are going to start seeing the kumho project tires available out west. last year kumho only made enough for dan vandehuevel to run in corr, i heard there have been many people requesting kumho make them available for sale, heard one guy ordered 100 sets for when ever they are available. they are DOT approved, so that is not an issue.
i like my BFG tires, always have, so that made it natural to start racing on them. the goodyears are also a good tire. like john said, alot of it is preferance, and if you don't want to buy from one company for any reason, at least look to the companies that support our sport as your first alternative.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.