The Big One Taupo 1000 2009

renagade

Reaction
Taupo 1000 09 is getting realy close it's the 11-12 of september and i for one can't wait.

i thought id drum up some intrest and post up some photo's i took at the last one in '07the one you guys would have seen in the two roads to taupo movie thing.

i don't see any american's on the entry list this year so far entrys close on the 29th of august so hopefully one or two will make the long trip down here. if not get ready, the next ones 2011 hopefully some of you guys will come down for it !

anyway check out www.taupo1000.co.nz

enjoy the pic's

Cheers!

[/IMG]http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/1073/p1010060v.jpg[/IMG]

Porboy

Reaction
I was in Taupo in January. Absolutely beautiful country side!! Even got to do a little trout fishing. Good luck with the race.

redmist

Reaction
At least we now know where all the Chenowth Magnums went. Great pics

There's only one Magnum pictured there (blue and white). The Pointon trailing arm car. He incidentally also owns a 5 link Magnum. There is about 5-6 magnums here in NZ, but most of the buggies pictured are locally manufactured Cougars. There is a two seater Ausi Southern Cross and a Chevy powered Jimco in the mix. The Magnums actually suit our environment very well. We don't have the massive whoops that exist in the states so massive suspension travel isn't needed. Beam is stronger and requires less maintenance than A-Arm as such pretty much the norm for NZ racing.

Taupo is a truly fantastic event. I can't sing it's praises loud enough. Very fast, with lots of random hazards to trick the unwary. Stunning scenery, good people, good beer and there's apparently some bloody good racing going on as well.

Matt, put a big tank in your super buggy and come and have a play in our class 10 equivalent!

I'm hoping to get more than the 150km I completed last time it was run. Still I'll have to tack the front end of my Jimco together in order to even get there!

redmist

Reaction
I didn't realize Curly had such a bloody big turbo on that green thing of his. It'll be interesting to match my car (the V6 twin turbo Jimco from CHCH) against him in September. I've also heard there is a new high spec Ausi car being dragged over for Taupo. It'll be tight at the front and I'd think bloody good to watch.

renagade

Reaction
yeah it's gonna be a good race, im gonna guess it's gonna be a battle between you, clim and mabe clive thorthon, but i think you guys will out pace his lil v6 down the straights. is that guy entering the big banna jimco this year ? he could be in with contention if he keeps it on all fours.

it's gonna be a good race can't wait ! ( What number were you last time ? might have some pics of you somewhere )

redmist

Reaction
I ran a gun metal gray class 5 A-Arm. (526?) Blew the second gear on the third lap and the teeth wrattled around the box for the remainder of that lap. It most certainly did not sound healthy.
I was hoping that Neville Basalaj would enter the big Jimco, however he doesn't appear on the entry list. I'd also heard that even though he was prepping for Taupo as his one event this year he's recently pulled the plug on that also.

There's currently 13 pre entered class 1 cars.... I know bugger all of them!

I think the Dixon bros have a surprise in store. I know they are building a new class 1 car in Ausi, I just have no idea as to the spec. With Ausi regs the way they are I'd put money on it being another V6 twin turbo or possibly a large V8.
My Jimco is made for Taupo. If I can get fit enough, hold it together that long, and keep my fuel burn low enough for a single stop strategy I'll finish. I'm still green, and with a car that's totally changed from last year, I'm not one to put money on. New steering, new sequential Albins gearbox and considerably more power make the car a scary ride.
Clim Lammers is quick. His car looks like shyte but it hangs in there long enough for him to cross the line.
Clive Thornton. I understand his car to really sing now. However he'll still be lacking power without hairdryers. He's also had a bad run of electrical problems.
Melvin Rouse. Might be a podium, if everyone has a bad day.
Max Smith, is getting faster by the minute. I think teaming with Hawkeswood is a good move on his behalf as Max appears to fade late into enduros.

So of the 13, I know... 7.

It's certainly going to be a fantastic race. I've had butterfly's for the last month!