The Bikes Will Return to The Mint 400 in 2019

EMS702

Rescue 1
Still questions to be answered....
If I'm reading the information correctly this will NOT be like a typical BITD event (entrants are issued pit passes for our trucks and the pit people sign the BITD waiver and get a wristband to be allowed/covered in the pits).
It sounds like everyone entering the pits needs to purchase a per-person pit pass ?? Entrants need to spend more $ to get thier truck/s and people into the pits?

@mxben - It's a non-pre-run course so finding shorter lines isn't so easy. I doubt the "tracker" is to limit cutting.
@pgarfinkle - Is that fact, that the tracker is for online public to follow? So we'd be paying $200 to help promote the event? Odd...
IMO a course with pits approx 25-30 miles apart isn't "remote" and tracker for safety isn't needed. What exactly does the YB tracker do? Does it have functions like pass alert or SOS like a Stella does? (i do not think so)
The tracker is helpful to the rescue and retrieval folks to more easily locate a fallen rider or broke rider if necessary. This course for bikes is single track we have not used before mixed with existing course. I cannot speak to the pit pass cost. However, I do know that if you are in pits you need a wristband. Vehicles not allowed into pits without a pit pass affixed to chase vehicle.

cynicwanderer

Will there be a pit near the start/finish. I plan to self pit and would like to set up my pit somewhere close to where we stage for the start. at Laughlin last year, there was an issue where they would not allow me to ride my bike back into the pit area after the race to retrieve my van, because I did not have a "Pit Pass" on my bike and they only allowed UTVs at that point. I had to leave my bike at the checkpoint and walk into the pit area to get my van and then load outside the pit area, blocking traffic for others.

pgarfinkle

As @BajaboundMoto stated, this does not appear to be a typical BITD race. It also doesn't seem to be similar to a SCORE, NHHA or D37 event, all of which most of the people asking questions are familiar with and have race extensively.

Since this is a new event, it seems @MADMEDIA could be doing a better job of providing information to the racers that are asking. Unfortunately, the vague and base responses and the over whelming promotion which at times has completely ignored racer requests has given this event a feeling that either the promoter does not have the details worked or perhaps lacks the knowledge to put on a bike race. It seems that we should just pay "buy the ticket, take the ride."

AngryShawn

Thinking seriously about sitting this one out and applying our Mint budget to the SS300, and then figure out if next year's Mint 180/240 $/mile is really worth it...

Like people say in software, never buy v1.0, wait until they release a patch or the next version :D

Desert Son

Great question! Why So Vague ??? Bottom line. Your SAFETY and my SAFETY have been sold out! I text Killian directly asking about tracking and push to pass and downed vehicle/rider alerts, he stated " We would never comprise our racers safety " but that's exactly what has happened. All new to this years Mint 400 spectators can purchase (of course) a grid walk pass. Great idea. lets put spectators right next to race vehicles "Moments before the start of the great American Off road Race" as racers are focused on Helmets, HNR, fans, GPS, etc........ If my memory services me correctly there was a Monster energy girl badly injured at the Baja 1000 this past year in a similar " Grid " experience. I guess it's nice to know that it's not just our safety being put up for sale !?!?!?!?! Maybe a ___2019 Mint 400 safety/push to pass ___(standard in every other series) Pass, could be made for purchase. I get it, the Martelli's aren't racers, they have never climbed out of a vechile that is on it's lid, It's scarier then Hell. I know for a fact that the Stella/Racing trax units have prevented racing accidents like the one Jordan Poole was injured in several years ago at the Mint 400 . I pray to GOD that it doesn't happen again.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Hey there all, I can address some of it for you but to be honest there are still some pieces of this puzzle that still coming together. Keep in mind with the Government Shutdown, a lot of significant details got delayed in processing.

Internally, BITD is working this as almost 2 different races with 2 different teams. Daryl and Brian Folks are extremely hands on with this Bike race as well as Jeff Phillips and Scott Harden. All four of these guys have more decades of Motorcycle Race Experience than most of us have been alive. Keep in mind that all 4 of them also have little to no social media and forum experience. But for the Bikes, you have a very seasoned and dedicated team assigned to your event.

The course is in for final approval with BLM right now as a few areas originally submitted had to be altered. The Bike course is at this point 75% + dedicated single track. Much new that has never been raced on. It will however go through the same pit areas and 3 of the 4 spectator areas that the trucks are going through. It wont go through the gravel pit which fortunately means we wont have to give tetanus shots before the race for that junk pile of crap in that area. Bikes and Vehicles will not be on any portion of the course together.

The Pit Passes will be issued for each team to take their vehicles to each pit. Every entry has access to every pit for the races. There will be in total 4 passes for each of the 4 races. For instance, a "red" pass will allow you in for the MC race in the am, and then after the race is over, the Pit Captains will ask the Red passes to clear for the "green" passes to come in for the afternoon race. then Sunday will have 2 additional pit pass colors. To my knowledge there is no cost associated with vehicle pit passes as they are essential to your race. It is important to note however that we really are begging people not to get pit passes to just come and sit and watch a race. Be a pit vehicle pitting a race vehicle please!!

YB tracker is primarily a tracker but does have a push for emergency alert feature on it. All bikes, cars, and trucks will have this on them. There are also volunteers every couple miles, as well as 12 rescue teams including some on Bikes for the Bike race. The tracker will provide live tracking as well as allow review for course compliance. It does not offer the Pass Alert portion.

Lastly, I will likely end up in someones office or email chain for this statement, but I want to offer my opinions on the tracking and technology:

I am a big supporter of the Racing Trax program. I am amazed at the pieces they pack in a unit, the capabilities they strive for and the incredible amount of time, energy and investment they put into their product. I believe that Racing Trax in my experience is the best in their market. They have a new bike system in production that will be amazing when it is ready. It wont be the bulky handlebar mount that so many have complained about. I have seen and heard it in the testing phase. That being said, I have seen many instances personally and taken care of people injured that have to come to rely on technology pieces in their driving abilities. Sometimes it is operator error, sometimes it is technology failure. And sometimes it is poor decision making as a result of over confidence in an electronic du-dad. YB does not have the features of the Racing Trax system. That doesnt mean in anyway however that everyone associated with the event is not concerned about safety of the Racers, Crews, Spectators and Staff. Every single week there is meeting after meeting among the various staff involved and much is focused on Safety. Push to Pass and downed Rider alert are basically pointless for this event since car and trucks will not be on the same course or even running when the bikes are.

I hope that helps some of you with some of your questions. I will answer more if I have the answers for you. The BITD and Mad Media team are in full prep mode now for this race and the Final Information Packet for Bikes should be out soon. That should help many of you racing this event. I personally am excited for the return of the bikes. I know Ill be sitting in turn 1 hoping not to meet any of you in the land rush start...

mxben

Hey there all, I can address some of it for you but to be honest there are still some pieces of this puzzle that still coming together. Keep in mind with the Government Shutdown, a lot of significant details got delayed in processing.

Internally, BITD is working this as almost 2 different races with 2 different teams. Daryl and Brian Folks are extremely hands on with this Bike race as well as Jeff Phillips and Scott Harden. All four of these guys have more decades of Motorcycle Race Experience than most of us have been alive. Keep in mind that all 4 of them also have little to no social media and forum experience. But for the Bikes, you have a very seasoned and dedicated team assigned to your event.

The course is in for final approval with BLM right now as a few areas originally submitted had to be altered. The Bike course is at this point 75% + dedicated single track. Much new that has never been raced on. It will however go through the same pit areas and 3 of the 4 spectator areas that the trucks are going through. It wont go through the gravel pit which fortunately means we wont have to give tetanus shots before the race for that junk pile of crap in that area. Bikes and Vehicles will not be on any portion of the course together.

The Pit Passes will be issued for each team to take their vehicles to each pit. Every entry has access to every pit for the races. There will be in total 4 passes for each of the 4 races. For instance, a "red" pass will allow you in for the MC race in the am, and then after the race is over, the Pit Captains will ask the Red passes to clear for the "green" passes to come in for the afternoon race. then Sunday will have 2 additional pit pass colors. To my knowledge there is no cost associated with vehicle pit passes as they are essential to your race. It is important to note however that we really are begging people not to get pit passes to just come and sit and watch a race. Be a pit vehicle pitting a race vehicle please!!

YB tracker is primarily a tracker but does have a push for emergency alert feature on it. All bikes, cars, and trucks will have this on them. There are also volunteers every couple miles, as well as 12 rescue teams including some on Bikes for the Bike race. The tracker will provide live tracking as well as allow review for course compliance. It does not offer the Pass Alert portion.

Lastly, I will likely end up in someones office or email chain for this statement, but I want to offer my opinions on the tracking and technology:

I am a big supporter of the Racing Trax program. I am amazed at the pieces they pack in a unit, the capabilities they strive for and the incredible amount of time, energy and investment they put into their product. I believe that Racing Trax in my experience is the best in their market. They have a new bike system in production that will be amazing when it is ready. It wont be the bulky handlebar mount that so many have complained about. I have seen and heard it in the testing phase. That being said, I have seen many instances personally and taken care of people injured that have to come to rely on technology pieces in their driving abilities. Sometimes it is operator error, sometimes it is technology failure. And sometimes it is poor decision making as a result of over confidence in an electronic du-dad. YB does not have the features of the Racing Trax system. That doesnt mean in anyway however that everyone associated with the event is not concerned about safety of the Racers, Crews, Spectators and Staff. Every single week there is meeting after meeting among the various staff involved and much is focused on Safety. Push to Pass and downed Rider alert are basically pointless for this event since car and trucks will not be on the same course or even running when the bikes are.

I hope that helps some of you with some of your questions. I will answer more if I have the answers for you. The BITD and Mad Media team are in full prep mode now for this race and the Final Information Packet for Bikes should be out soon. That should help many of you racing this event. I personally am excited for the return of the bikes. I know Ill be sitting in turn 1 hoping not to meet any of you in the land rush start...

Woah lots of good info there. 75% + single track is gonna make a hell of a 240 mile race...

Also, your pretty certain land rush style start? I got an email saying 1 rider per 60 seconds.

pgarfinkle

Thanks Dave. Having interacted with you and your team in the past, I know you have the racers safety as your utmost concern. I also appreciate you lifting the veil on the inner workings of the race plan.

Unfortunately, its a little too late for me. The lack of Mad Media's ability to provide information with their only responses being hype and what appears, based off yours and others insights, wrong information, I decided to sit this year's race out. I am also hearing a lot of discontent from the car/truck guys regarding this year so it does not appear to be solely the addition of the bikes that is causing the pain. I only hope they can learn from the feedback and work towards providing a better product in the future.

That being be said, I am more than willing to help any moto team out there with a pit area if anyone has a need.

mxben

@MADMEDIA We need some definitive answers soon. Lot of time and money involved in making it to this race - the least you can do it have the correct info available to us.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Woah lots of good info there. 75% + single track is gonna make a hell of a 240 mile race...

Also, your pretty certain land rush style start? I got an email saying 1 rider per 60 seconds.
Land rush by class as of Tuesday. We had a meeting discussing the inner working of it. Not sure of the split between classes though.

MXBen - What other questions do you have? I can get you answers on most items that you may have. Expecting everything to be answered via forum would become a full time job in itself for BITD or Mad Media.

I would encourage to Email Liz at BITD@BITD.com if you have bike questions. She can likely get you what you need quickly.