Jammminjay

Reaction

The 53rd SCORE Baja 1000 is just around the corner and Ford Performance is back again. They entered their purpose-built Ford Bronco R race prototype that compliments this year’s new Ford Bronco launch. The Bronco R was built in conjunction with the Trophy truck Builder, Geiser Brothers in 2019 to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Bronco – claiming the only 4×4 win...

Continue reading...

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
I’ve never seen a baja boot anywhere but the one racing in baja.
I’ll be pulling for the Bronco
in this David vs Goliath match up. Super stoked to start parking my wife’s new bronco next to my Raptor!

Tom_Willis

Reaction
Why does Ford go to all the trouble and expense to enter a Raptor or Bronco R in the B1K and only build a single vehicle? Their 2016 Ford GT Le Man's program had multiple entries, and like in the '60's they won BIG. When Kia entered the B1K they had a squadron of those little things out there, knowing full well that they were betting on at least one beating the clock.

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
Why does Ford go to all the trouble and expense to enter a Raptor or Bronco R in the B1K and only build a single vehicle? Their 2016 Ford GT Le Man's program had multiple entries, and like in the '60's they won BIG. When Kia entered the B1K they had a squadron of those little things out there, knowing full well that they were betting on at least one beating the clock.

Maybe they had bigger plans and covid screwed things up........
Porsche and Audi both had their racing programs gutted by VW when diesel gate hit. Things happen.
I’m glad they did jump in and race the Bronco.
things could always be better but the could always be worse too.

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
I was really hoping they’d send it and PAB to Dakar like when they sent the first gen Raptor. I don’t know if they have that kind of money for the program at this time.

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
Anyways I’m hoping to get a Bronco Warthog from Team Ford when they come out.

class5cole

Reaction
Would be interested to know what technology is shared with the production vehicle besides the name

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
Engine, driveline but not the rearend. (It’s a trussed race rear end) All electronics Including stock Ecu tune, no pumped up turbo, she runs on 91 octane pump gas, Steering, shoot even the shifter, most the suspension but not shocks, stock ball joints, bronco frame. Last year the cooling system was stock in the stock location and that was a problem. Still stock cooling but it’s moved to the back up in the wind like on a trophy truck. As long as you don’t race 1000 miles on the pipe you’re stock rig should be epic.
I’m a nimrod so don‘t take my comments as fact. Ford made a big deal out of being as much stock as possible.
You‘re mileage may vary, odds computed on day of drawing, everything subject to change.

Last edited:

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction
Hope you all have safe race a respect all the persons behind you, but it’s still a ford product quantity not quality!!

There isn’t a lot of manufactures even thinking about racing in the desert. I’ve been at the testing and I’ve seen everything the Ford engineers have learned and changed by racing the bronco.
As a fan of desert racing I’m grateful for any vehicle manufacturer that supports it, from motos and UTV’s to Broncos.

stephenrjking

Reaction
The GT Le Mans program received many multiples of dollars more than the Bronco program. The marketing objectives are completely different, and what is measured as "success" is completely different, too.

The GT program piggybacks on one of the greatest triumphs Ford ever achieved as a company, beating the Ferraris in Le Mans in the 60s. There's a movie about it and everything. The GT40 is a halo product and the program is a halo program, designed to boost the image of Ford as a company worldwide. Le Mans is a huge deal worldwide, much more accessible than Baja. Viewers can watch the whole thing live and see the sleek vehicles racing around. You're evoking history, so the goal is the same: weinning. So you spend many millions and enter multiple cars to ensure that you have a couple still running at the end.

The B1K is not about Ford as a company, but about the Bronco as a product. It doesn't cost much to modify an existing vehicle. $200k? $300k? I'm no expert but that's probably overstating it. And then you need to invest the typical amounts to invest in some testing and supplies and crew and drivers and logistics to run a single race, nothing remotely approaching the full world-travelling seasons produced by Ganassi racing. And all this so that you can say that the Bronco is "proven in the Baja." Which is nice, but that's about it.

Winning isn't the goal. At best, finishing is. Participation, with a near-stock vehicle.

If they wanted to launch a GT-level program, they could, and they would win. But there just isn't the ROI.

MTPyle

Reaction
Does the Bronco race vehicle have any Bronco parts? The pics I saw of it looked like a ground up race vehicle build. I didn’t see any stock parts at all. So is the Bronco a Bronco?

I know Ford built a Raptor for Baja that was pretty much a 1450 truck, just had steal cab but the rest was full blown race truck. Then the built a stock one with mostly just safty stuff.

I want to see a stock Bronco with just safety mods race Baja. That would be awesome.

Mike

stephenrjking

Reaction
Does the Bronco race vehicle have any Bronco parts? The pics I saw of it looked like a ground up race vehicle build. I didn’t see any stock parts at all. So is the Bronco a Bronco?

I know Ford built a Raptor for Baja that was pretty much a 1450 truck, just had steal cab but the rest was full blown race truck. Then the built a stock one with mostly just safty stuff.

I want to see a stock Bronco with just safety mods race Baja. That would be awesome.

Mike
Apparently the engine/powertrain and such. The suspension components, fuel cell, and so on, not so much.

Baja seems like an unfriendly place for bone stock vehicles. But that sounds like fun.

Still hoping you guys run the peninsula next year.

usmcgunrock

Reaction

Mike

I second this. I remember seeing build pictures and even guys who were part of the build talking about the frame being a raptor frame. Raptor with race front suspension, linked rear end, and everything from the frame up is tube work. It’s a PR thing to say the bronco raced Baja when it is just a bronco fiberglass shell and ranger/bronco motor and trans.

stephenrjking

Reaction
I second this. I remember seeing build pictures and even guys who were part of the build talking about the frame being a raptor frame. Raptor with race front suspension, linked rear end, and everything from the frame up is tube work. It’s a PR thing to say the bronco raced Baja when it is just a bronco fiberglass shell and ranger/bronco motor and trans.
Still a lot closer to stock than the "stock" cars they run in NASCAR. Running their own motor, transmission, and other such details does mean something. It's marketing, but that's all motor racing has ever been; think of the Cosworth and Ilmor purpose-built Indycar engines that would occasionally, but not always, get a marketing fee to badge as "Ford" and "Chevy" (or "Mercedes").

usmcgunrock

Reaction
Still a lot closer to stock than the "stock" cars they run in NASCAR. Running their own motor, transmission, and other such details does mean something. It's marketing, but that's all motor racing has ever been; think of the Cosworth and Ilmor purpose-built Indycar engines that would occasionally, but not always, get a marketing fee to badge as "Ford" and "Chevy" (or "Mercedes").

I don’t disagree. Like the Honda Ridgeline that doesn’t share anything from a Ridgeline or run a motor that anyone other then The Honda offroad team can get. That comes from Honda Racing so it’s a Honda but no one can spec it out. Marketing, Honda can say they won the race.

At least the Halls are running a Chevy with bolt on parts.

nimrod

KOOK!
Reaction

Mike

Bronco Frame , Engine, driveline transmission etc, but not the rearend. (It’s a trussed race rear end) All electronics Including stock Ecu tune, no pumped up turbo, she runs on 91 octane pump gas, Steering, shoot even the shifter, most the suspension but not shocks, stock ball joints, bronco frame. Last year the cooling system was stock in the stock location and that was a problem. Still stock cooling but it’s moved to the back up in the wind like on a trophy truck. As long as you don’t race 1000 miles on the pipe you’re stock rig should be epic.
I’m a nimrod so don‘t take my comments as fact. Ford made a big deal out of being as much stock as possible.
You‘re mileage may vary, odds computed on day of drawing, everything subject to change.

You could totally build one identically with off the shelf ford parts, a cage, aftermarket desert rear end and Fox Shocks. Ford did put some money into the custom body with 1 off molds so that part might be tough but you could do it.

Last edited: