nimrod

KOOK!
RDC Crypto
Who is Ford aiming the new Bronco at? The Overland gang? The man bun slash insta-tweet guys? Soccer moms who secretly like it a little rough? Because none of them are dreaming of Baja racing; or even GOING to Baja. That demographic is watching social media to see what to buy. If they were to offer a Coyote- powered version that snarled when you step on it that would sell out. But, a lot if those vehicles would end up stored rather than driven.

I think Fords aiming at everyone that didn’t buy a Raptor. I mean EVERYONE but ya know not everyone wants one 🤷‍♂️

nimrod

KOOK!
RDC Crypto

johndjmix

RDC Crypto
I wish ford would build a full size F150 based Bronco....i would have put my order in the second that sucker was announced. A Raptor version even better. Love my Raptor, but a Bronco Raptor would work better for me.

If they played it like GM did with the old Hummer H2, but with real working off-road accessories that would be a winner.

Unrelated PS, the new spy shots of an almost 4 link setup with coils on the new Raptor prototypes looks very cool.

--John

nimrod

KOOK!
RDC Crypto
I wish ford would build a full size F150 based Bronco....i would have put my order in the second that sucker was announced. A Raptor version even better. Love my Raptor, but a Bronco Raptor would work better for me.

If they played it like GM did with the old Hummer H2, but with real working off-road accessories that would be a winner.

Unrelated PS, the new spy shots of an almost 4 link setup with coils on the new Raptor prototypes looks very cool.

--John

Google Bronco Warthog. Ford trademarked the name Warthog a few months ago.
Spy Photos show a heavily camouflaged Bronco with F150 Raptor running gear under it.
Sounds like no Bronco Raptor but maybe a Bronco Warthog a lot like a Raptor.
It doesn’t look bigger than the current Bronco though.

Jim Glickenhaus

RDC Crypto
Hi
We had a great time, learned a lot and will be back next year likely stepping up to class 1. It's pretty cool that Vic's original buggy design still works well 53 years later re engineered by Armada. The Boot is incredibly fun and comfortable to drive. Next year several customer will race their Boots with us. We hope to have 4 racing in 2020. We're also offering a lower cost Class 8 buggy (DYI). Next stop Le Mans with our 007 LMH.
Best
Jim

Last edited:

nimrod

KOOK!
RDC Crypto
Hi
We had a great time, learned a lot and will be back next year likely stepping up to class 1. It's pretty cool that Vic's original buggy design still works well 53 years later re engineered by Armada. The Boot is incredibly fun and comfortable to drive. Next year several customer will race their Boots with us. We hope to have 4 racing in 2020. We're also offering a lower cost Class 8 buggy (DYI). Next stop Le Mans with our 007 LMH.
Best
Jim

Best of luck at Le Mans and I can’t wait to see you guys at Dakar!

stephenrjking

RDC Crypto
Hi
We had a great time, learned a lot and will be back next year likely stepping up to class 1. It's pretty cool that Vic's original buggy design still works well 53 years later. The Boot is incredibly fun and comfortable to drive. Next year several customer will race their Boots with us. We hope to have 4 racing in 2020. We're also offering a lower cost Class 8 buggy (DYI). Next stop Le Mans with our 007 LMH.
Best
Jim
Baja AND Le Mans? That's quite the portfolio. Both of them are magnificent events that I'm a big fan of, so there's a bonus.

Hard to pick two better events, in more different motor racing disciplines. Go get 'em.

Jim Glickenhaus

RDC Crypto
Baja AND Le Mans? That's quite the portfolio. Both of them are magnificent events that I'm a big fan of, so there's a bonus.

Hard to pick two better events, in more different motor racing disciplines. Go get 'em.
Thanks.
Here's a bit about us.
So far we've delivered 3 customer Boots.
In 2021 we'll deliver 15 Boots and 30 004's.
Our 5 year goal is 500 vehicles per year.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Thanks for sharing the link. Super cool. I had never looked into the Boot but it’s damn cool.

what’s the off-road range with 30 gallons?

Mike

DarrenSkilton

RDC Crypto
I was really hoping they’d send it and PAB to Dakar like when they sent the first gen Raptor. I don’t know if they have that kind of money for the program at this time.
Just to clarify, the raptor would never have gone to Dakar with myself and journalist Sue Mead, pooling all of our resources, friends and sponsors together. Ford supplied a vehicle and some parts. General Tire, the FabSchool, King Shocks and my contacts in Europe made that class win possible.

DarrenSkilton

RDC Crypto
Thanks for sharing the link. Super cool. I had never looked into the Boot but it’s damn cool.

Mike

Mike
The motto of SCG is “race cars for road”. Taking that to heart we built the first 3 to have a race range of 140-150 miles (33 gallons usable)

we offer auxiliary tanks that increase the amount to 63 gallons (one customer has those)

The 4 door version will have 60 gallons standard.

Jammminjay

RDC Crypto
Where did you get your info from? I think you may have not looked very closely at it. Can’t be built with off the shelf parts from Ford. Unless they made big changes in the frame from when Gieser Bros built this one to the one that is being released then you can’t even get the frame under the stock bronco. Never mind I found the answer. It’s a f150 frame.
This is not an F150 frame, it is built on the Bronco frame. Yes, you can technically get them because they are built on a Ford Ranger frame. This is obviously a racecar built on a stock frame and complete tube chassis. Class 2 only requires a "production" model as a base, the rest is unlimited.

Look at the Lemans GT program, that is so far from being a stock vehicle. These are racecars.

Bro_Gill

RDC Crypto
I think to see a move towards production based vehicles in the desert, you would have to see a kill off of Trophy Trucks. And possibly class 1 buggies. Maybe even Spec TTs. These 3 classes make the courses so tough for production based vehicles with their massive tires and horsepower, that it creates a marketing nightmare. Like this year, no manufacturer wants to tout their product that finished 12-13+ hours behind the overall winners and struggled to achieve 30 mph in the desert. To draw in stock production, you are going to have to cater to production vehicle needs, and that includes racing that doesn't make them look like slouches. IMO, a need that is now a longtime coming. I would love to see factory supported limited vehicles with all the big name drivers driving them and still winning while Joe Lunchbox gets a 6th or 9th in the same class while not getting beaten by 10 hours. Keeps the dream alive for many more that way.

nimrod

KOOK!
RDC Crypto
I get what you’re saying but personally I love watching trophy trucks. Sports car racing is the same way. The manufactures race in GTLM and are the third fastest class behind LMP1 and the spec LMP2 class. All of that has recently changed as far as classes due to cost but that’s part of the allure of endurance sports car racing. Multiple classes racing. It’s still viable.

stephenrjking

RDC Crypto
I think to see a move towards production based vehicles in the desert, you would have to see a kill off of Trophy Trucks. And possibly class 1 buggies. Maybe even Spec TTs. These 3 classes make the courses so tough for production based vehicles with their massive tires and horsepower, that it creates a marketing nightmare. Like this year, no manufacturer wants to tout their product that finished 12-13+ hours behind the overall winners and struggled to achieve 30 mph in the desert. To draw in stock production, you are going to have to cater to production vehicle needs, and that includes racing that doesn't make them look like slouches. IMO, a need that is now a longtime coming. I would love to see factory supported limited vehicles with all the big name drivers driving them and still winning while Joe Lunchbox gets a 6th or 9th in the same class while not getting beaten by 10 hours. Keeps the dream alive for many more that way.
The only form of racing that still uses vehicles with any real stock base in their top line product is rally, and even WRC is going to purpose-built vehicles in 2022 (though all rungs below the top WRC line continue to be production based). As it happens, off road is one of the few disciplines that remains basically unlimited, since driving off road inherently involves slower speeds and thus a better margin for safety. Most other motor racing disciplines started seriously slowing their cars down decades ago; meanwhile Trophy Trucks are mounting 1,000 hp engines and it's not a serious problem. Don't get distracted by the Le Mans "hypercar" concept--those are not vehicles that are mass production ready. (Though I wouldn't mind GM or Chrysler or Ford building a "hypertruck" and selling a purpose-built trophy truck that was street legal).

There is simply no way to re-arrange off road in such a way that stock-based vehicles will win. It's not realistic, and it's not necessary. Perhaps you can develop a stock-based support class, but it's not going to win overall.

Bro_Gill

RDC Crypto
Don't get me wrong, I love seeing TTs race as well, but the reality is, that type of unlimited racing is what helped drive factory support out. They do not win on Sunday and sell on Monday with Trophy Trucks. They used to with Class 8 and Class 7 and definitely Class 7s. The Unlimited aspect is cool and all, but it does not build grassroots and it definitely doesn't help with the environmental profile.

stephenrjking

RDC Crypto
Don't get me wrong, I love seeing TTs race as well, but the reality is, that type of unlimited racing is what helped drive factory support out. They do not win on Sunday and sell on Monday with Trophy Trucks. They used to with Class 8 and Class 7 and definitely Class 7s. The Unlimited aspect is cool and all, but it does not build grassroots and it definitely doesn't help with the environmental profile.
It's not the advancement of the trucks. It's the change in the landscape of the sport. Manufacturers are much tighter with what racing programs they will invest in, and the objectives are different. The landscape is radically different from what it was 30 years ago, on road as well as off. Look at how Indycar has declined, or even NASCAR. Look at the difference in how sports car racing is sponsored and supported. It's a different world.

If a manufacturer wants to win Baja, all they need to do is throw money at Bryce or Andy or Rob Mac. Yes, there is a small amount of association (articles about Luke call his truck, nominally, a Ford) but these Trophy Trucks are as close to Ford Raptors as the Mustang Cup Cars are to the things we see on the street every day.

The issue isn't the type of truck. It's the marketing landscape.