The California 300 | Barstow, CA | October 12th-16th

One-Eyed Peter

RDC Crypto
I'm in
As a UTV racer I would rather race Barstow than Havasu. I do recommend limiting prerunning to one day. People are going to destroy the course before the race ever starts if you have multiple days of prerunning like it did in years past in Havasu.
In Barstow, the course comes pre-destroyed. No amount of pre-running beforehand will matter.

Advertising supports this site

LAZY-H

Large Member
RDC Crypto
With the amount of hotels at Outlet Center and the restaurants the infrastructure is there, it’s just a matter of there being enough employees to support a large crowd.
It took over an hour to get our order at IHOP recently on a slow Monday morning with about 4 tables occupied (and it was still wrong). Good luck Mad Media.

RYAN COHEE

RDC Crypto
No plans to blade anything anywhere that I'm aware of.

I believe someone has already reached out to talk to Cody and I know I certainly plan to as well. No plans that I know of for there to be any kind of "joint" race at this point but we certainly respect and appreciate everything Cody does and look forward to talking more to make sure we have a good game plan, aren't stepping on any toes, etc.

If you understand the permitting process, you know that this didn't happen overnight. If you back up the planning process to when this kind of thing was first envisioned, and how long it took to get the wheels turning to make it happen, it puts more perspective on why "now". For what it's worth, this process was happening as far back as when there was at least one less racing org in the mix. Understand the concerns about "another" race, agree and am not discounting the importance of that. I assume everyone involved in this game at this point understands that something at some point has to give and only time will tell how that all shakes out.

Finally, the Barstow race has nothing to do with the Mint's longevity. It has to do with exactly what was originally stated...the long term plan to create a series. Could access to Jean/Primm eventually go away, forcing some significant decisions about the Mint? Absolutely. Are we aware of what that timetable looks like? Not even a little bit. Rumors of no racing in Jean, the airport, commercial development, etc have been swirling for at least a decade. Again, maybe that will all pan out at some point but there is no reason for us to believe that the Mint won't be able to happen in the future. As many of you can surmise, there are only so many places in the southwest that will allow for racing at all. And if we go farther, the travel distance for most racers becomes less desirable. Barstow has a long history, lots of great room to race, and great access for people who want to come be a part of it.

We have this one thing in March that has to get worked out first, but after that it'll be fun to tackle a new challenge and see what can be done to make it good for as many people as we can.
So are you part of Mad Media ?

J Prich

RDC Crypto
I'm the race operations manager. My primary roles involve getting the course ready to race on (course marking mainly), managing course worker volunteers, and overseeing the operations of the race course on race days.

michael.gonzalez

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
I'm the race operations manager. My primary roles involve getting the course ready to race on (course marking mainly), managing course worker volunteers, and overseeing the operations of the race course on race days.
You better make damn sure every volunteer gets a sammich or something!

MAC56

RDC Crypto
My very first race was in Barstow… in 1976, that said in the intervening years more races an promoters than I can count.
my concerns are as follows
Safety, how can the public be isolated in an open area from the race cars/ Trucks? Over that number of miles how many security guards are functionaly cost effective?
is a land closure available?
why would this type of event be successful so close to the 1000? Why would the bigger teams participate?

swiftracing5

RDC Crypto
One of the most fun races I’ve had was in Barstow. 1600 car, Rode the first lap with someone driving their first race ever. Drove the second lap and passed everyone that passed him. Codog made me feel like Rob Mac. Didn’t even podium but had a blast on the course. Got to sleep in my own bed that night too.

For that reason, I’ll give this race a chance...

ACME

RDC Crypto
I apologize in advance for my Mig'esc response however, this topic deserves it...

I realize that MM and your crew are the pansophical authorities on all things "off road culture" and desert racing: I just hope you guys understand the amount of NON RACE AFFILIATED PEOPLE RECREATING in Barstow on any given weekend, who have no idea races or events are happening?

Barstow is the largest local off road desert recreation area adjacent to one of the most densely populated areas in the US, and it also has the most access points. Hopefully you will consider that alongside your plans for the sideshows.

In 30+ years of racing-chasing etc.. out there: I cannot tell you of how many people we've warned/chased off courses who have no clue that a race is going on. I also cannot count how many close calls, I/we or friends have had with non race cars, bikes, quads, SXS, "prerunners", Jeeps or dumb "fans" while racing (think Mexico).

I personally know a driver who was involved in fatality in Barstow and a second involved in another significant incident: Both with non race traffic.

Comparing the potential risk to the sport of a big race, with a possible large car count of 6100's & UTV's; to an event like the Mint in Jean or KOH in east Johnson Valley doesn't work. The average recreationalist doesn't grab the kids and SXS or their new Jeep buddies for a quick day trip to Camp Rock, Bessemer & Boone Rd like they do to Barstow.

Please consider how you will control access and event awareness with 20-30 access points, with people "cruising" on intersecting trails to Slash X on a Saturday from Dale Evans, Outlet Center Drive or Barstow Rd and how you will mark all those intersecting trails on 75 miles of course...

Now my Mig moment:

The MDR incident happened in a more remote location, with "informed" parties attending that event. Now think families on quads or buddies on bikes going from the 15 to Slash X for a beer. Stuffing you head in the sand and not considering the facts or having a "DGAF" attitude would be stupid.

Jim Clement (founder) & Cody from MORE and their teams manage to do it, but they hold races for racers and don't focus on sideshows or events. Additionally, most of the MORE racers have always been pretty responsible.

Do a little research and I'm sure you'll be able to find the details involving: Events, race & non race but "off road racecar" related incidents in the Barstow OHV area.

Sal told me the reason he bailed on Barstow and Lucerne was based on liability and politics.

Is pork really a white meat?

Carry on....................................................................................

Last edited:

J Prich

RDC Crypto
My very first race was in Barstow… in 1976, that said in the intervening years more races an promoters than I can count.
my concerns are as follows
Safety, how can the public be isolated in an open area from the race cars/ Trucks? Over that number of miles how many security guards are functionaly cost effective?
is a land closure available?
why would this type of event be successful so close to the 1000? Why would the bigger teams participate?

I apologize in advance for my Mig'esc response however, this topic deserves it...

I realize that MM and your crew are the pansophical authorities on all things "off road culture" and desert racing: I just hope you guys understand the amount of NON RACE AFFILIATED PEOPLE RECREATING in Barstow on any given weekend, who have no idea races or events are happening?

Barstow is the largest local off road desert recreation area adjacent to one of the most densely populated areas in the US, and it also has the most access points. Hopefully you will consider that alongside your plans for the sideshows.

In 30+ years of racing-chasing etc.. out there: I cannot tell you of how many people we've warned/chased off courses who have no clue that a race is going on. I also cannot count how many close calls, I/we or friends have had with non race cars, bikes, quads, SXS, "prerunners", Jeeps or dumb "fans" while racing (think Mexico).

I personally know a driver who was involved in fatality in Barstow and a second involved in another significant incident: Both with non race traffic.

Comparing the potential risk to the sport of a big race, with a possible large car count of 6100's & UTV's; to an event like the Mint in Jean or KOH in east Johnson Valley doesn't work. The average recreationalist doesn't grab the kids and SXS or their new Jeep buddies for a quick day trip to Camp Rock, Bessemer & Boone Rd like they do to Barstow.

Please consider how you will control access and event awareness with 20-30 access points, with people "cruising" on intersecting trails to Slash X on a Saturday from Dale Evans, Outlet Center Drive or Barstow Rd and how you will mark all those intersecting trails on 75 miles of course...

Now my Mig moment:

The MDR incident happened in a more remote location, with "informed" parties attending that event. Now think families on quads or buddies on bikes going from the 15 to Slash X for a beer. Stuffing you head in the sand and not considering the facts or having a "DGAF" attitude would be stupid.

Jim Clement (founder) & Cody from MORE and their teams manage to do it, but they hold races for racers and don't focus on sideshows or events. Additionally, most of the MORE racers have always been pretty responsible.

Do a little research and I'm sure you'll be able to find the details involving: Events, race & non race but "off road racecar" related incidents in the Barstow OHV area.

Sal told me the reason he bailed on Barstow and Lucerne was based on liability and politics.

Is pork really a white meat?

Carry on....................................................................................

One of the very first issues identified when conversations about Barstow first started was safety. The concerns listed by you both here are valid, and shared. I personally was at the rockpike in August, 2010. Agree with all of the potential hazards that have been addressed here. Those hazards have been discussed and will continue to be discussed all the way through the event and after. These concerns are one of the primary reasons I personally hope to be able to connect with Cody and chat a bit as I'm interested to learn and much as he's willing to share regarding his vast experience. Perhaps a modest car count for the first iteration will be a blessing in disguise in some ways.

No one on our team is comparing a Barstow race to the dynamics in Jean or even Johnson Valley, although I think there are some best practices Dave and his team have employed that can help proactively address at least some of these issues. Even with a "closed course" like the Mint we have to work hard to ensure folks stay safely back. It will take a variety of strategies and resources to mitigate the safety concerns as much as we possibly can. It would be incorrect to equate opinions regarding "sideshows" to a lack of the team's focus on things like safety. Laying out a race course and setting it up for racing is not that hard. Keeping it safe DURING races for both racers and fans in a location like this is a significant challenge and frankly it'll be the thing that keeps me up tossing and turning at night for the next 8 months or whatever. But again I'm confident that in execution we'll have a solid plan to use as many resources as possible to make this is safe as we can.

AaronMacomber

RDC Crypto
Im actually excited to see how this plays out.

Being so far away (im in Seattle) I have to plan my races out, and as much as the hoopla of the Mint might annoy some of the more established guys, its a draw for me. One of the main reasons I try to make the Mint each year.

Say what you want, but its kind of fun being a nobody that gets to be King for a day in Fremont while moving your car through tech.

y2kbaja

RDC Crypto
"Sal told me the reason he bailed on Barstow and Lucerne was based on liability and politics." I also heard it was the lack of accommodations. The town or Barstow didn't have enough rooms for even his staff.

Another thing to consider for this race. Move the big race to a weekday and the smaller races, the races where the drivers work for a living, to the weekend. This may also reduce the crowd and make crowd control easier.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
Unrealistic to think it's even possible to keep some people from doing whatever they want. That's not a goal, because it's not possible. But giving people pre identified places to go can help corral at least some of the people, which is that many less people that are out running around in places that are more dangerous. One of the best selling points about a place like Barstow is that it's one of the few places left in the states where you can access the race course. It's a blessing and curse, but no one is naive enough to think that no one is going to get out around the race course, it's a matter of doing everything possible to mitigate the hazards where you can.

pjc

Chairman
RDC Crypto
Website
www.OutbackUSA.com
Unrealistic to think it's even possible to keep some people from doing whatever they want. That's not a goal, because it's not possible. But giving people pre identified places to go can help corral at least some of the people, which is that many less people that are out running around in places that are more dangerous. One of the best selling points about a place like Barstow is that it's one of the few places left in the states where you can access the race course. It's a blessing and curse, but no one is naive enough to think that no one is going to get out around the race course, it's a matter of doing everything possible to mitigate the hazards where you can.
Are you going to charge an entry fee for the designated spectator areas?