Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
As you can imagine the feeling you get watching your kids race for the first time, for sure this is a proud parent moment for any of us. We entered the kids in what we felt was the perfect race for the kids to get seat time and experience the "MORE Slash X Dual in the Desert" This race was eight 21 mile laps in Barstow, CA. We thought this is a great mom and pop family race organization and the 1400 class with the run what you brung attitide would be perfect and there would not be as much "pressure" boy were we wrong the compitition in this class is strong. This class has very well built race trucks all running the best parts available with big power in some of them. MORE is MORE than that. Cody who runs MORE was great to work with and extremely helpful. Not to mention they put on a great race that was organized, same as if we were at a larger BITD race. Now on to the boys.

Jason and I bought a used 1400 truck that was built with all our suspension parts, billet hubs and race rear end and raced successfully for years. This truck is just like our old Ranger Edge we raced in the 1450 and 1400 class then raced our first full year back in 2007 with BITD in the 7200 class the first year they opened up the rules. Well we thought we were buying a sorted truck that was race ready. We got the truck to our shop and first made sure it was safe. We went over everything but did not re-build any parts. We also re-plumbed the fuel system and re-routed plumbing to make the truck safer. Once we had the truck sorted the kids had their first test session and first time driving a truck like this. Jason and Nick Isenhouer took the kids out the Sunday before the race. The kids all did a few miles each learning the truck acceleration, braking, etc. Once Jason felt the kids were good to go each kid did a pre-run lap around the race course. As you can imagine the kids were pumped to race.

For race day the three boys would all get a chance to drive. The plan was to have Cody Campbell (18) start the race and do three laps then hand off the truck to his younger brother Corey (15) for two laps then my son Zach (17) for the final three laps. On the first lap Cody had a great start winning the side by side start and chasing down the trucks in front of him. Everything was going well and he caught the next group of trucks that started in front of him, at mm 15ish the rear axle sheared off at the splines at the drive plate. There were 40 spline axles and we are not sure who made them. Cody got the truck to the pits and we took the rear end drive plate off. After inspecting and not able to find an axle that could work we put the truck back together and sent the boys out just for seat time. Now younger brother Corey did the second lap then my son Zach got in for the next three laps to then hand the truck back to Cody for the next laps. All was going well other than the loss of power to the ground as we only had one rear tire with power so lap times we off.

All in all the kids learned how to adapt and to get through the challenges of desert racing. At the end of the day they got 7th place and had smiles and excitment for that will forever lasting. Their next race will be the Mint 400 in the sportsman truck class where Cody and Zach will be splitting driving duties.
IMG_5929.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5777.jpg
    IMG_5777.jpg
    776.1 KB · Views: 626
  • IMG_5778.jpg
    IMG_5778.jpg
    553.9 KB · Views: 624
  • ABBE8EE1-A579-4C0F-8614-B719CB9336EB.JPEG
    ABBE8EE1-A579-4C0F-8614-B719CB9336EB.JPEG
    662.4 KB · Views: 644
  • 850DD219-A194-4A9E-92D1-61D0EBF17D03.JPEG
    850DD219-A194-4A9E-92D1-61D0EBF17D03.JPEG
    759.2 KB · Views: 665
  • IMG_5999.JPG
    IMG_5999.JPG
    336.6 KB · Views: 629
  • IMG_5997.JPG
    IMG_5997.JPG
    503.2 KB · Views: 654
  • IMG_5998.JPG
    IMG_5998.JPG
    448.2 KB · Views: 637
  • IMG_5996.JPG
    IMG_5996.JPG
    896.8 KB · Views: 687
Last edited:

mrmatt

Reaction
very cool

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
Even Pete would have liked this ,in his own way of course.

It's funny you say that. Every now and then Pete would "LIKE" a post I made and yes that would surprise me lol. And yes I am sure Pete would be liking this post.

MTPyle

Reaction
So cool and great video. Nothing better than racing with your kids. Teaches so many great life lessons.

What’s their next race?

Mike

MTPyle

Reaction
Going to the big show!! Awesome. See you guys there and good luck.

bajaherbie

Reaction
Are you adopting? Asking for a friend!

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk