• Forum membership has its advantages....

The Channel is "Code Red"

PCI Race Radios

It is with great sadness that we relay to the desert racing community of the passing of Bob “Weatherman” Steinberger. Bob passed peacefully at his home in Parker, Arizona after a long battle with cancer.

Bob found his niche within off-road in that pivotal year of 1972 when he became good friends with Bill Stroppe. Bob received an invitation from Bill to chase the Baja 1000 that year. Bob and two guys trekked to race mile 800 with a two gas cans and a truck full of adventure. Two days passed with no word from the race truck. Eventually, the truck arrived, the gas was dumped and the truck pushed on to the finish.

Bob expressed his frustration with the team, explaining they should put two-way radios in the vehicles so the two could communicate. The following year, Bob put communications in the vehicles of Stroppe, MacPherson and Walker Evans. At the 1974 Mint 400, he sent up three weather balloons with five hundred feet of coax attached and the first successful relay from a pit was made. It is believed that it was Joe MacPherson who couldn’t remember his name, so he dubbed him “Weatherman” on the radio. The rest is history and iconic status has been reached through nearly half a century of work with the company he founded, PCI Race Radios.

Bob’s dedication to The Weatherman Relay was so important to him that in the recent weeks as he battled cancer, he asked his son Scott Steinberger to carry on the Weatherman Legacy in his name. Scott accepted the honor and responsibility and has filled in for his Dad at the last few races, as he was too ill to travel.

Bob was an avid off-road enthusiast. When not providing communication relays from the top of Mount Diablo for SCORE races, he was on the ground in the Nevada and Arizona desert providing retrieval efforts with his famous “Yellow Zebra Jeep” at BITD races. He loved rock crawling and all things off-road. Bob also enjoyed hunting and spending time on the river with his friends and family.

In 2013, Bob was inducted into the Off-Road Hall of Fame. A great honor and a fitting recognition for a man who has spent almost half a century dedicated to such an amazing culture and sport.

Information to follow about a celebration of life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObBQORy0ioM

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
I posted in another thread as well, as it sit here taking a break from the heat... I know anyone that is or has been involved in racing, supporting , or just a fan knows and respects BOB Scott and the pci family will make sure his legacy lives on, as demonstrated at this years 500.
Man the stories that we could all tell, for me personally , no doubt he saved my life on more then one occasion due to the info that came into my helmet , not to mention the top notch advise and service he gave our team.

God speed .

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

snoreracer

I met Bob back in the 80s when he started in tech with Snore, what a good guy that would help you with anything you needed. Bob did relay for Snore at the races and I still remember taking him the final entry list on Friday afternoon to his spot on the mountain and him sitting in a chair just enjoying the view. RIP Bob

wayne_demonja

Weatherman BOB we have a stuck mic RIP, Missed by many respect to PCI family.

Mojave Traveler

This is truly heartbreaking..Bob was desert racing's angel in the outfield, watching over any and everyone around the race course. So many owe him so much gratitude that words could never be enough.He was there for our team at the '88 and '89 Baja 1000. He was there for a broken down bike rider i found in the middle of nowhere at the '97 Baja 500.He was there for everyone in need of help.. I can almost hear the angels sing for the coming home of a hero.

Vaya Con Dios, weatherman. You will be sorely missed.

nickybobby333

Sad, sad day! Thank you Bob for everything you did for this sport, and I will miss the awesome color commentary during races! RIP

buckwild

It is with great sadness that we relay to the desert racing community of the passing of Bob “Weatherman” Steinberger. Bob passed peacefully at his home in Parker, Arizona after a long battle with cancer.

Bob found his niche within off-road in that pivotal year of 1972 when he became good friends with Bill Stroppe. Bob received an invitation from Bill to chase the Baja 1000 that year. Bob and two guys trekked to race mile 800 with a two gas cans and a truck full of adventure. Two days passed with no word from the race truck. Eventually, the truck arrived, the gas was dumped and the truck pushed on to the finish.

Bob expressed his frustration with the team, explaining they should put two-way radios in the vehicles so the two could communicate. The following year, Bob put communications in the vehicles of Stroppe, MacPherson and Walker Evans. At the 1974 Mint 400, he sent up three weather balloons with five hundred feet of coax attached and the first successful relay from a pit was made. It is believed that it was Joe MacPherson who couldn’t remember his name, so he dubbed him “Weatherman” on the radio. The rest is history and iconic status has been reached through nearly half a century of work with the company he founded, PCI Race Radios.

Bob’s dedication to The Weatherman Relay was so important to him that in the recent weeks as he battled cancer, he asked his son Scott Steinberger to carry on the Weatherman Legacy in his name. Scott accepted the honor and responsibility and has filled in for his Dad at the last few races, as he was too ill to travel.

Bob was an avid off-road enthusiast. When not providing communication relays from the top of Mount Diablo for SCORE races, he was on the ground in the Nevada and Arizona desert providing retrieval efforts with his famous “Yellow Zebra Jeep” at BITD races. He loved rock crawling and all things off-road. Bob also enjoyed hunting and spending time on the river with his friends and family.

In 2013, Bob was inducted into the Off-Road Hall of Fame. A great honor and a fitting recognition for a man who has spent almost half a century dedicated to such an amazing culture and sport.

Information to follow about a celebration of life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObBQORy0ioM

swiftracing5

At least years 500 we had just gone over the summit and it was about 115 degrees coming out of the wash towards the lake bed. Out of the blue, clear as day, his voice comes on our radio to check on us. Yes, I'm sure our chase truck relayed the message, but it was god-like. We were hot, the car was hot, but at that moment everything seemed fine after we told Bob "weatherman we copy, we are all good and running strong". That was the last time I'll ever hear him on the radio but I will never forget it.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Dlock5

Never had the pleasure of meeting him, but much respect for what's he's done, for thousands of racers. RIP

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Josh_Westwood

Godspeed Weatherman. You will live forever in all of us, as I know that I won't be the only person thinking of you the next time we hear a stuck mic. Thank you for everything you have done for the entire Dezert Racing Community.

My Condolences to the Steinbergers and PCI family

baja_racer

Rest in peace Bob......we didn't always see eye to eye, but I have always had respect for him. Via Con Dios

jkhtwin

Racing through the clouds, Bob! Thanks for all the years we heard your voice and knew we weren't alone. Prayers for all his family and friends, he won't be forgotten

biggjim

The only real interaction I ever had with Bob was at the parker 250 2-3 years ago. We pulled off the side of Shea rd to turn around with our 28' box trailer in tow and the shoulder was a lot softer than it looked. Put the POS ford superduty in 4x4 to pull it out and because I couldn't more forward or reverse the front end would not lock. So I began to air the truck down so that I could pull out of the soft sand when Bob pulled up... "need a tow" he said....I said "no Ill get it out once I'm aired down"... He asked "you sure I already have the strap out?" Why not?? He pulled me out....I thanked him and we parted ways. I found out a little later who he was. I wish I had know then. RIP WeatherMan