The Crown Jewels of Racing

VentureCrew35

Bacon Lover
I was making a list of the global crown jewels of racing. My definition of a "crown jewel" race is a race or motorsports event that is known internationally/globally as one of the greats. Obvious names on the list are the Baja 1000, Speedweek at the Bonneville Flats, and the 24 Hours of LeMans. I decided to confer with my RDC brethren to see what else should be added to the list.

My List So Far:
•Baja 1000
•Bonneville
•24 Hours of LeMans
•Pike's Peak
•Dakar
•Indy 500

michael_loomis

Any 24 Hours of Lemons event..

agree with the Monaco F1 race.. I would love to see that!! and the Daytona 500, which has completely taken over the Indy 500.

Isle of Man is incredible.

fishd00d

What A Joke
I was making a list of the global crown jewels of racing. My definition of a "crown jewel" race is a race or motorsports event that is known internationally/globally as one of the greats. Obvious names on the list are the Baja 1000, Speedweek at the Bonneville Flats, and the 24 Hours of LeMans. I decided to confer with my RDC brethren to see what else should be added to the list.

My List So Far:
•Baja 1000
•Bonneville
•24 Hours of LeMOns
•Pike's Peak
•Dakar
•Indy 500
I fixed the 3rd one on your list for ya....

VentureCrew35

Bacon Lover
I fixed the 3rd one on your list for ya....
Fishbulb and Luminous, I said "known globally as one of the greats." I'm pretty sure if you were to go to, say, anywhere not in North America, 99% of the people wouldn't know of the LeMons existence. And the 1% that does likely lives in Australia or Great Britain and thinks it's some sort of yankee foolishness.

Honestly, and I know I'm going to get some angry letters for this, I'm not sure about including Daytona. Because yes, it's a huge race here in America, but I don't know if it carries the same global prestige. Do Europeans look at it with the same respect we give to Monaco?

michael_loomis

Juan Pablo, Scott Speed..

Gonna hafta say yes on that one.

VentureCrew35

Bacon Lover
Anahiem supercross round one is epic every year
daytona bike week also
I'm going to have to say no to Daytona bike week. Largely because if someone from say, France, showed up he'd promptly get his ass kicked. If a motorsports event can't be attended by people from around the world, I don't think we can call it "world-renowned." Never been to Anaheim supercross, so I can't judge on that.

What we need is some input from the foreign RDC members, so we don't get too biased toward the North American races.

randy s

if you're listing just the biggies, thread over.

racer56

The Crown Jewels of Offroad
Parker 425 - Mint 400 - Baja 1000

michael_loomis

Largely because if someone from say, France, showed up he'd promptly get his ass kicked.
Bad analogy...

If someone from France shows up in the US, he's getting his ass kicked anyways...

LOL

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Blackwater 100
barstow to vegas
that Dakar thingy
Isle of man [or however you spell it]
the Iron Butt
Living through the Nevada 2000 while chasing It
surviving the Baja 2000 WTF was I thinking?????

Kartman

Media Goon
Monaco Grand Prix
Italian Grand Prix - Monza
Belguim Grand Prix - Spa
WRC Rally Finland - fastest course
WRC Rally Norway - ice and snow
Baja 1000
SF 250
Dakar
Indy 500
Daytona 500