• Forum membership has its advantages....

The day time stood still

MTPyle

My phone thought I died, kept telling me my screen time has gone way down. LOL it was pretty concerned.

Mike

Klaus

Administrator
Cheers for all the work!!! Maybe catch up on the sleep tonight!
Thank you I might. haha

This incident while not fun at the moment it happened was actually quite valuable and I now in introspection enjoyed every second of it. We have an amazing data backup solution in place and the actual server restore was very fast. However our hosting provider dragged their feet to replace a failed drive. Lessons in patience where learned. All good information. They played their cards and we will move to another platform shortly.

I have learned to not attach myself to my persona that much and simply do and resonate with what is in front of me. If the site is down...well the site is down and I do my best to fix it. Amor Fati

MTPyle

Klaus,

You find out what kind of service you are getting for your money when things go wrong. Sounds like your money is better spent somewhere else. You can't beat Amazon hosting (AWS). I generally don't like to feed the 800lb gorilla but they are one of the best in the hosting space that we have used and great pricing. It seems like you have had more than your fair share of issues with the site and hosting.

Good luck!!

Mike

Klaus

Administrator
AWS is amazing. Not a fan of the company.
Good idea to price it out. I did that a few years back and for whatever reason didn't go with it.
We are old school hosting on our own bare metal box with one of the larger hosting providers plus a bit of cloudflare CDN here and there.

partybarge_pilot

Speaking of hosting, I'm on a job in Pryor OK. Google is building a ?????? down the street. When we first drove by I thought it was a power plant going in. The amount of buildings and cooling towers is pretty mind blowing for a data center.

51rcr

lots are in Washington state, cheap dam power. They have crazy amounts of diesel generators as back up. EPA supposidly harass some or people complain cause if they were to fire them all at once ect. I would bet the Ok place is close to a dam and i would also bet some Ok natural gas for gens.
Look up some data centers they are nuts.

Klaus

Administrator
Speaking of hosting, I'm on a job in Pryor OK. Google is building a ?????? down the street. When we first drove by I thought it was a power plant going in. The amount of buildings and cooling towers is pretty mind blowing for a data center.
Yeah data centers are amazing. It has been a while I toured one. This site is obviously in one of those. With so many things being online they are a part of the times.

Honda48X

What would be our alternative if it never came back up? Is there another site out there like RDC? I like this site!!!

Klaus

Administrator
What would be our alternative if it never came back up? Is there another site out there like RDC? I like this site!!!
Thank you.
There is no intentions to shut this site down or expand it into new directions. We may play with some additions here and there however the core of offroad racing will remain.

If we can't operate it anymore due to loss of interest, age, physical disability or monetary reasons we will reach out within this community and find someone to carry on.

And with the gain of social media popularity there will always be people that prefer a boutique experience vs. a fortune-500 one.

johndjmix

Shoot me a PM. I own a colocation datacenter company (20 years in business) and would be glad to help. We have a lot of customers that want to actually have their own server and data in a physical spot that exists (And we have 3 locations to be sure it can be redundant).

With Any of the large cloud hosting setups, if theres an issue...your no big deal to them, with a smaller company - they know you and every customer is important! Just not having your own physical server ... urgh.

At Wild Power Sports we actually have fiber to the building and a 20x20' datacenter to keep all of our servers. When you go to our web site your going to the servers in OUR facility!

I say, 2 of your own servers, 2 different facilities. Then your in charge of your equipment and dont have to depend on others as much.

--John

Thank you.
There is no intentions to shut this site down or expand it into new directions. We may play with some additions here and there however the core of offroad racing will remain.

If we can't operate it anymore due to loss of interest, age, physical disability or monetary reasons we will reach out within this community and find someone to carry on.

And with the gain of social media popularity there will always be people that prefer a boutique experience vs. a fortune-500 one.

Last edited:

Honda48X

Thank you.

This is great news Klaus. Thank you for the update.

vegasloki

Another +1 for AWS. I’d been buying colo space in Tier 1 datacenters since the mid 90s. What cost us $500k in hardware, a couple hundred grand a year in engineering talent and $10k a month for a cage in a world class host in 1999 can be had now for a grand or two a month at AWS (or Google for that matter).

At AWS it’s just like having your own iron in the cage. Except you don’t have to maintain or upgrade hardware and can scale at will. Need a load balancer right away and a couple more instances? No problem. Need low cost, reliable hosted enterprise quality database services? No problem. You can still use Cloudflare or one of the AWS options. No disrespect to John or other traditional colo providers but but you just can’t compare the large scale cloud serices with going to s small colo.

spalind

I wonder some times if I'm the only one here with the spread of more "social" media taking away from forums like this...so many have died...but then I see RDC's Instagram account get like 600 "likes" on the notices that the site is down and extrapolate that into the likely thousands who viewed that and come here...and I get this warm fuzzy feeling inside...

johndjmix

No need for all this for RDC. Two $500 servers, at 2 locations, $200/month. Problem solved. Cheap and effective. Put a third and your at $300 a month. The issue with these cloud services is you pay and pay and pay. CPU time, database, etc. Most of the new customers we are putting in are coming from them to colo.

Now if your talking cage, yea that gets expen$ive, and a lot of work to maintain. We focus on single server, 1/2 cabinet, and full cabinet customers with simple setups.

--John

Another +1 for AWS. I’d been buying colo space in Tier 1 datacenters since the mid 90s. What cost us $500k in hardware, a couple hundred grand a year in engineering talent and $10k a month for a cage in a world class host in 1999 can be had now for a grand or two a month at AWS (or Google for that matter).

At AWS it’s just like having your own iron in the cage. Except you don’t have to maintain or upgrade hardware and can scale at will. Need a load balancer right away and a couple more instances? No problem. Need low cost, reliable hosted enterprise quality database services? No problem. You can still use Cloudflare or one of the AWS options. No disrespect to John or other traditional colo providers but but you just can’t compare the large scale cloud serices with going to s small colo.

vegasloki

No need for all this for RDC. Two $500 servers, at 2 locations, $200/month. Problem solved. Cheap and effective. Put a third and your at $300 a month.
A $500 server? Seriously? I’d suggest you look at what Lightsail instances or Digital Ocean charge. DO can do what you stated for under a hun a month all in. AWS Lightsail for a bit more and full AWS for a bit more than that. For the $200-$300 one can get multizone, load balanced mulltiple instances with replicated hosted database with basic CDN. For smaller and even mid tier guys or even basic services DO is a better value but doesn’t offer the number of robust and flexible service. That’s why they can maintain a price advantage.

johndjmix

Exactly, the flexibility is key. Also, having a physical server is important to a lot of people. With cloud your just kinda "virtual", your business is dependant on everything they do. Your just a number to these guys, and we all know how that goes. Think of it as renting a race vehicle vs owning one - when its yours you have control. Most of us here like to tinker, and deal with our own stuff, and not rent....hence the physical presence of hardware that you own.

Send me a PM so we stop boring everyone on RDC that has no idea what we are talking about =). Possibly we can work together on some projects.

--John

Klaus

Administrator
Wow, I appreciate this thread and also the PMs I have received (and yet have too reply to).

The road map is to price out AWS/google cloud solutions. Google offers a free limited trail as well. Maybe play with it just to see how that all works.
Also price out the BYOD route with a personal hands on datacenter. There is some beauty in that route.

Ibn any case... we are up and running. There is no urgency. We will enjoy the alternative setup research. Have fun with it and then make a move.