The death of class 7s, and your opinions on how to fix it...

tofarnorth

RDC Crypto
Yes alot of factory backed A arm trucks did work very well. But how many where stock is up for debate.I was involved with a "factory backed" team in the begining of 7s and the amount of money and time spent to make that truck look stock was out of this world.I have seen all frame holes welded and re drilled ,cabs cut back 1 inch and re caulked to look stock and using 5 upper arms to make 1 stock looking arm.

A-arm 7S trucks have been successful in the past against beams and still can be under current rules. Someone's gotta remember the bottom truck in this picture which I believe became the S&S truck and who knows where it's at now.

attachment.php

GMS739

RDC Crypto
Yea I remember the Chevy s-10 from the hardins and ss we raced against them for years they were fast .

Bro_Gill

RDC Crypto
A-arm 7S trucks have been successful in the past against beams and still can be under current rules. Someone's gotta remember the bottom truck in this picture which I believe became the S&S truck and who knows where it's at now.

attachment.php

sirk- That truck was no where near 'legal' when all was said and done. cab was moved back to clear the big tires. Don't believe it? Put a 35 on a S-10 and we can talk about it. Truck was extremely fast, but when it entered the class, it no longer mattered.

mike.t

RDC Crypto
Definately, the little Mac trucks hauled, even won races in 7open, both trucks are still out there I believe

milestonemotorsports

RDC Crypto

attachment.php

Was that the same truck that Eric trajeda was running in MDR in 2005

milestonemotorsports

RDC Crypto
Ya that's the guys we are talking about 7s if you built your truck with in the rules is one thing but to change them for your advantage is dumb the class is about making stock components work not buying a kit and bolting it on period leave the class alone

I agree it took me along time of trail and error to get my truck to hold up and work . the problem is the bolt on kit classes are growing and our class is dying . if you look at the two affordable places to race SNORE and MORE the last two races you had 9trucks in bolt on classes and one 7s . i'm not saying change the rules but i'm thinking of jumping ship building some long arm kit for my truck with coilovers and then Barstow wont beat me up so bad. I'm still sore from Saturdays race when I think of the pros and cons of doing this the only con is not being able to go race a RECORD race in 7s

GMS739

RDC Crypto
Eric trajeda truck was the hardins old truck it was fast. But when they had the 4.3 in it but when they had the 3.0 not so fast but fast enough good old day .

OldGreen

RDC Crypto
Change the rules or don't change the rules. . .but the sport NEEDs a class that is attractive to aftermarket suppliers that supply parts to the main stream. . .not just racers. Make them fit in a box (width/travel/etc.) but mandating stock parts for non-factory backed teams has lead to where we are right now.

The other option would be to dust off your trucks and actually race them in the class they were made for. . .just sayin'. . .

mike.t

RDC Crypto
Change the rules or don't change the rules. . .but the sport NEEDs a class that is attractive to aftermarket suppliers that supply parts to the main stream. . .not just racers. Make them fit in a box (width/travel/etc.) but mandating stock parts for non-factory backed teams has lead to where we are right now.

The other option would be to dust off your trucks and actually race them in the class they were made for. . .just sayin'. . .

Ford still does pay contingency, it's not a lot but they still pay for a win

OldGreen

RDC Crypto
Contingency awards are NOT sponsorships.

tofarnorth

RDC Crypto
I am thinking the class just does not want to change . So the conversation with Casey should be about adding a 2000 class it would be nice to have enough trucks for a full size and a mini class .

OldGreen

RDC Crypto
That's the issue guys. . .the "class" has no say in BITD because it is non-existent. Maybe the other orgs can do something to revive it??? Record has it figured out, but that is likely because they are not quite as stuck on the rules as written. . .

mike.t

RDC Crypto
I am thinking the class just does not want to change . So the conversation with Casey should be about adding a 2000 class it would be nice to have enough trucks for a full size and a mini class .

This is what should happen, let the current truck owners make the choice for themselves, not make it for them, it's what I've been saying since I started posting in this thread. (sighs) lol

I don't know what's being said in the mini metal forum, but I thought firedog had posted the new suggested rules?? They aren't agreeing there either?? I'm just giving my opinions, I definately don't have a say in what ultimately happens. I'm just someone who cares about the class who will race there in the near future.

I'm going to build mine to current 7s rules and I'll go from there as to which class I race in.

Ive said what i want to say and ill say no more
Later

Scott_AZ

RDC Crypto

+1 been watching this thread to see where things went. I am planning on building a 2000 in the next year or so.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
+1 been watching this thread to see where things went. I am planning on building a 2000 in the next year or so.

Just my personal opinion, I don't feel like the current crop of class 2000 guys are ready for a pro class. I would hate to see a pro class started prematurely and then fall apart due to lack of turnout. The 2000 trucks are really a budget 1400 class to me. I know early in this thread someone mentioned the opinion that 2000 trucks were built by guys who didnt want to follow the 7S rules and I don't think that's true at all. I think the bulk of the 2000 guys are guys who are looking for a cost effective alternative to running 1400.

Without doing the actual count, I submit that the number of V8 trucks in 1400 have grown exponentially over the last 5-6 years. They are the norm now. Trucks that even four or five years ago where high quality 1400 trucks are pedestrian compared to the big dogs and the costs continue to rise. I think the class 2000 guys are guys looking for a cheap way to race thier mini trucks against a fairly level playing field and thats what the leaf sprung/motor restriction class gives them.

BUT, having said that I am not sure too many of those guys are ready to pay the higher entry fees to race in a pro class and a series like BITD. I don't mean to speak for anyone else, just giving my opinion. I have a class 2000 truck I'd absolutely love to race some of the high profile BITD races, at this point I'm not sure I could afford too many. Having a class for us to race competitively in would definitely help the cause though.

Either way, I hope it all works out with the end result being more leaf sprung mini trucks in action. Regardless of what class that ends up being!

sirhk100

RDC Crypto
have a 7s , 2000 shootout forget about all the b s and lets go race

I'm in! Assuming J-prich lets me dust off his truck to come out and play!

SNORE 250
Las Vegas, NV
Nov 1st- 3rd

More then enough time to get your plans together, save some pennies and get your trucks dusted off and ready to play. Bring out the 7S trucks, enter in 2000 (since we can't enter in 7S) and see how everyone stacks up!