The Death of Desert Racing?

martininsocal

Reaction
There is no way around this until the people of California or the Federal Gov't admit that spectating at desert races is an at risk sport like sky diving, snow skiing, or white water rafting. Anyone who participates in those sports assumes all risks and if something goes wrong, they have to live with their consequences. I think there should be a lot more at risk sports so that the limbless family tree folks can't sue when they try to get that picture of the grill of the Herbst truck to hang over their cousins/wifes bed. Hell, there are people who sue property owners when they get injured trying to jump out the second story window with the TV they just stole and win. Just more proof that there are too many idiots on jurys.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

Tom_Willis

Reaction
you're exactly right, it comes down to incredibly stoopid jurors. The ones who award six-figure settlements to a woman who burned her crotch driving with Mcdonalds coffee in her lap. The 450 lb man who is suing the fast food industry for making him fat, the two "movie fans" who sued a movie studio for making up a fraudulent review, which caused them lifetime damage because they were tricked into seeing a bad movie. The drunk who let them tattoo "bumfights" on his forehead. His attorney isn't interested in his clients' alcoholism, dignity, or health, but is VERY interested in the assets of the film company. Remember the Milli Vanilli scandal? The international class-action lawsuit against them for lip synching in concert. The attorneys wanted to "send a message" so no other Milli Vanilli fans would be harmed... The real problem is attorneys using less than intelligent jurors to pick the pockets of insurance companies. .

I live my life one paycheck at a time

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Why insurance companies are worried:..from an email

Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas, was awarded $780,000 by a jury of her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering the misbehaving little toddler was Ms. Robertson's son.

A 19-year-old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000 and medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Mr. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hub caps.

Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pennsylvania, was leaving a house he had just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the garage door to go up since the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He couldn't re-enter the house because the door connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation, and Mr.Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found, and a large bag of dry dog food. He sued the homeowner's insurance claiming the situation caused him undue mental anguish. The jury agreed to the tune of $500,000.

Jerry Williams of Little Rock, Arkansas, was awarded $14,500 and medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his next door neighbor's beagle. The beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. The award was less than sought because the jury felt the dog might have been just a little provoked at the time by Mr. Williams who was shooting it repeatedly with a pellet gun.

A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, $113,500 after she slipped on a soft drink and broke hercoccyx (tailbone). The beverage was on the floor because Ms. Carson had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

Kara Walton of Claymont, Delaware, successfully sued the owner of a night club in a neighboring city when she fell from the bathroom window to thefloor and knocked out her two front teeth. This occurred while Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the window in the ladies room to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge. She was awarded $12,000 and dental expenses.

This year's favorite could easily be Mr. Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Mr. Grazinski purchased a brand new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On his first trip home, having driven onto the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back and
make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly, the R.V. left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the owner's manual that he couldn't actually do this. The jury awarded him $1,750,000 plus a new motor home. The company actually changed their manuals on the basis of this suit, just in case there were any other complete morons buying their recreation vehicles.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late"

motoxscott

Reaction
That's just great, I think that just ruined my day now.

I swear we have some of the stupidest and selfish people in todays society and it's only getting worse.

This is part of the reason why so many motocross tracks close down.

WFODAN

Reaction
I say we take a poll as to which racers in here actually run insurance .........

I do not . So if you're standing too close to the track and I run you over , you'd better grab any part of the truck that your body can break off , because that's about all you'll get . My only advice to the spectators is if a truck is coming towards you off the track ......... Lay down and pray . I would rather be run over by a tire then take a chromolly front bumper to the head at 80plus mph.

Long Live the American Way ( sue or be sued ) What a joke !!

Dan Vance

Rodney

Reaction
Unfortunately, this is only scratching the surface of the insurance dilema. Anyone involved in the construction industry can tell you about the insurance horror stories ranging from workers comp. to general liability. My liability carrier dropped me and has since MOVED OUT of california. This whole insurance issue is a HUGE freight train coming at us all. Thank you scum bag PI attys. Another ridiculous gang of lawsuits is stemming from 9/11. Everyone is being sued from the builder of the WTC, to the carpet manufacturer, to the fireproofing installer. Oh yes, don't forget the lady who got 1 million dollars from McDonalds for spilling her coffee.

Winning IS everything

Prater

Reaction
Thankfully a lot of these are getting overturned on appeal, the McDonald's coffee lady didn't get anything in the end. What we need is a 'losers' pay law, where if you are sued and win, the loser pays everyones legal costs. It would keep a lot of trial lawyers from suing everyone for the hell of it. It is one of the few laws that Europe has that I would like to import.

-Prater

JasonHutter

Reaction
We also do not carry and insurance for our racing. We are however in the midst of starting Fire Guys Racing LLC. I understand that this doesn't completely cover us, but it does limit our liability. It is costing us $550 to start it through an accountant, and he takes care of everything. Now we just have to figure out how to make some money so the IRS doesn't shut us down after a couple of years! It will be nice for the right-offs though.

Jason

frankh

Reaction
If you want to talk about insurances and how high it can get, stop bye. I had a guy drive a company truck off into a canal and kill the co-worker riding with him in 2001. The guy that was driving is still on workman's comp for a problem with his hand. The co-worker's dad sued us. Ever insurance we had went up an then it has gone up again from 9/11. The guy was going to fast for a turn, locked the brakes up (never got off them) and skidded into the canal.

MNotary

Reaction
Some of those have to be urban myths?

Fence, designated spectator areas, hot pits.... Insurance wants all those things laid out to run a race...

J_Dog

Reaction
A lot of the reason the trail lawyers (read: scum of the earth) do what they do is that the companies would rather settle than go to trial. Trials are expensive. They look at it as getting out a little cheaper than going a full trial. If you really think about it, they could fight a couple of lawsuits and win and the attorneys would figure out that it's no longer worth it. But then, throw in jurors who make idiotic decisions and it's a whole new ballgame to win. Can't win for losing.

Jeff Matlock
CODE 3 Motorsports
Class 7s Ford Ranger - VORRA

martininsocal

Reaction
This is nothing morethan a scam invented by the lawyers industry (no offense Jr.). When Lawyers can charge so much that it is cheaper to settle than to fight in court and win, then the system is screwed up! Even if you win, it costs you money! Go figure that one out. As a perfect example, why didn't David Westerfields Lawyer settle? Not because he thought he could get the guy off or even reduce the final outcome(death penalty) when it went to trial. Even David Westerfield knew this before he was arrested as is evidenced in his pre-arrest questioning with police. The Public Defender gets to bill for lots of hours and he got to use (and pay) lots of expert witnesses in teh process. All part of the scam to keep their industry flowing in cash. I had a lady come to my door this last weekend to complain about my dog in the back yard. Her kids had built up a snow mound against my fence to sled down and she was worried that since they were sticking their hands over the fence and my dog was barking, they may get bit. My dog has bitten noone, so I was not worried and told her that. She said "just be ready to be sued when your dog bites my kids..." Maybe I should electrify my fence, but then some scum bag lawyer will find some A$$wipe to piss on my fence and sue me for undue trauma to a penis...

If your gonna go, go BIG

Sites

Reaction
"Even if you win, it costs you money! Go figure that one out."

Easy there Perry Mason, of course they have to charge you, thats how they make a living. I agree that there are a lot of scumbag lawyers out there, but I'm guessing that if most people walked into court and represented themselves, they would end up losing.

"The Public Defender gets to bill for lots of hours and he got to use (and pay) lots of expert witnesses in teh process. All part of the scam to keep their industry flowing in cash."

Aren't Public Defenders at the bottom when it comes to salary in the "industry". The public Defenders and Prosecutors, I would say, are the most honest and legitemate of all -- they get payed by the government, the BIGGEST tightwads when it comes to salaries. Its the corporate attorneys and ambulence chasers that give them a bad name. Also, a Public Defender needs to exhaust every resource to defend his client. Why? Because thats HIS JOB.

94' Lightning Prerunner (in-progress)

RacnCPA

Reaction
As an accountant I have a natural aversion to lawyers, but you're right. PD's need to be paid, it's a job they are doing for US. And lawyers, ha, try to represent yourself. I do IRS audits which are very similar and most people would get chewed up and spit out! Bet your arse you're going to pay for a lawyer, if not then you pay in some other way. It all comes back to taking responsibility for yourself. And your team, business, family and so on.

Sc

robert_encinas

Reaction
how about this? the next time someone so much as trips on a cigarette butt
we all gather around and finish him/her off and then we go after their families if need be.
we can also go after the lawyers and jurors and oh god i need a drink.

FABRICATOR

Reaction
As stated earlier, this is only scratching the surface. I was talking to the owner of a big-rig towing company that we use. He has had a very clean insurance record for several years. But his yearly coverage just went from $72K per year to $140K! The number of insurance companies covering this type of business in California recently went from 15 to just 2. Some are now using foreign based companies for coverage. Good luck collecting...

The democrats are more to blame than any other entity. They have always openly fought any type of litigation interference or award limits.

On a brighter note, I would guess that the situation will soon get so ridiculous that it will finally be obvious to some of the shortsighted and/or selfish politicians, and greedy others, that we cannot go on this way. This happened with the environmental movement. No, that movement is not over, but it has taken some major turns in the last 6 years or so from where we were headed. It used to be a scary raging torrent, every bit as bad as this lawsuit mess, but now it is just a trickle.

It can be a very slow process, but if something is not working right for the many, it does get changed. Hopefully, the economic problems in this state, and perhaps soon the country, might just bring about those changes fairly soon.

<font color=orange>The best ideas are the ones that look obvious to the casual observer.</font color=orange>

martininsocal

Reaction
First- the majority of Public Defenders are private attourneys who are required to do PD work now, there are not offices of public defenders all over the place. Second, you say the PD is suppose to do everything possible for their client. In the case I sited, he didn't. The man is on Death row because they wouldn't take a plea and go with life in prison(like it really matters in California whether you are sentenced to death, I think the average wait is over 20 years now) so the PD didn't do what was best for his client. Have you heard the tapes of Westerfield being questioned, the guy basically admitted he did it and asked for a cops gun so he could commit suicide. "It will be right here on the table should you chose to look at it closely mister Westerfield..." Not every lawyer is a scumbag, but pretty much everyone who has ever been in the news is! We should do business more like they do in England. The 2 attorneys meet with the accused and together they decide what is best for the accused. Saves lots of time and dare I say...money? As for representing yourself in court, anyone should be able to do it. If we didn't have a legal system so screwed up in teh first place, you wouldn't need a lawyer, the laws would be understandable, written in plain speak, and people wouldn't have the oppurtunity to look for loop holes and "gloves that don't fit..." We have to face facts, law is not about what is morally right, it is about what you can get away with, whether it be criminal or civil. Thats why we have people sueing for their own stupidity and people getting off of murder charges bacause they can run with a damn ball in their hands.

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
I have had good luck with "www.insuremytoys.com" for various vehicles and activities.

I am not sure on their "race liability" issue but, it's worth trying.

PJCinLV