The drama with desert racing.........

PK CINCO

Reaction
It seems that with all the issues that are out there with score and "their" in house tracking company, why dont we just go back to stub cans, and ad a few more check points and course monitors in key areas to
keep everyone in line? Races have been ran this way for 30 years, all this is doing is adding cost(s) to racing and causing contraversy that is now
at legal levels within our community causing disention between promoters and participants......if this continues we will see our sport die a slow death like it did in the past, yes the tracking has many benifits , but it seems there are simple solutions to these new problems . We raced for 10 years that way and all seemed to be just fine.....

AP255

Reaction
I am all for secret check points and SCORE officials with laser/radar speed detecters to controll highways speeds. I have ABSOLUTELY no faith in a tracking device that works intermitently and shows me traveling to San Diego at over 1000 KM/HR!!! To spend the kind of $$$$$$$ that we do to race in SCORE and be at the mercy of a electronical device thats fuction is out of our control is spooky at best. Get back to KISS for the driver and SCORE. Baja is too great of an experience to mess up.

Andy Mac

Simply Stunning
Reaction
I am all for secret check points and SCORE officials with laser/radar speed detecters to controll highways speeds. I have ABSOLUTELY no faith in a tracking device that works intermitently and shows me traveling to San Diego at over 1000 KM/HR!!! To spend the kind of $$$$$$$ that we do to race in SCORE and be at the mercy of a electronical device thats fuction is out of our control is spooky at best. Get back to KISS for the driver and SCORE. Baja is too great of an experience to mess up.
X15,000!

Alan, you hit the nail on the head. I couldn't agree with you more, and something definitely needs to be done about this before the next race in Baja...

Huntington Beach

Reaction
If I pay $250 for a tracker rental ( not even a purchase) it better damn well work and be accurate to the point that you cant argue the findings. Until such a tracker is available we are going to **BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME****BAN ME** about the cost and the fact that they are mandated.

Not a stub can fan its too easy to cheat w/o a large number of checkpoint. And then where do you get all the volunteers to man them. If you pay for people to run them, then race costs are going to go up.

Wild bill

Reaction
I have seriously considered using my own tracking vendor for the entire chase crew, race vehicle, etc. so that everyone knows where the other crews are positioned. There are several companies that offer fleet tracking. This would also give you some teeth if SCORE tried to penalize you and your tracker disputes their tracker.

PK CINCO

Reaction
One of the newer teams out of phoenix backs the score tracking system up with ion -earth in all their race and chase vehicles, after the 500, score would not look at the info provided by the secondary or back up sysytem that would allow the team to validate their position against scores irrational penalties that were laid down, makes you wonder whos on whos payroll, like it was mentioned, every racer pays 250.00 to "rent" a transponder, its true, it better work properly ,and if it doesnt ,why is the "renter" penalied......its not their stuff.......they just rented it, as per
promoters rules said too. 250 units x ???? Entries makes a chunk of change
at a big race with say 300+ entries......as our sport becomes more electronically monitored, these unknown technical difficulties will continue to plauge the outcome of the weekends results, hopefully it gets figured out before the next big event, hate to see racers going else where , baja is a great place, hate to see it have these issues ,if not resolved entry count will most likely pummel south of the boarder

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
very simple everyone................I've said it before, we are in control, we are the customer, next race, we ALL say we are not paying for the tracker, they can't have a race without participants can they, to get rid of something we don't like we have to boycott.....we just have to all be behind the idea or it will never happen....

FarrisMotorsports

Reaction
I'm sure SCORE gets the lions share of the rental money for the tracking system...same as BITD.....it's business. SCORE & BITD are both businesses that thrive off of hobbyists. Sure it's alot of work, but then again what business isn't.

I don't feel that because of the use of tracking systems that it will be the end of our sport though. They just went about implementing them all wrong. Hopefully within the next year or so they will get it all figured out for the racers. Because as of now, it's seems like the only thing that is important is the bottom line $$$

Cheater

Reaction
I am with you on this one Alan. If we spend the $250 a race on secret check points and guys with radar guns on the highway sections that would work. These tracking systems only mess things up.

Jerry B

Reaction
Cool name for a thread.

I have a Garmin 276 and one of the pages it will go form being within 15’ to 100’ of accurate and will change by the clouds in the sky and what satellites it is hitting and this is sitting still. So if the thing sitting still can be off by 100’ radius you need to double it too 200’ at that waypoint. In a moving motion from one point to the next reading point or set it could be off by another 200’ for a bust of 400’ in distance traveled. The measured distance can be off by 400’. What ever they have the trackers set for a giving trap area would then give a false speed-reading. I have the Garmin set to take a reading every 500’ feet but it varies in its leg length readings so they are not dead on. I know the Lowrance in the car has a hell of a lag in it and does not cycle but a few times a second. We all know the trackers they use are not the most expensive ones on the market and I would guess are far inferior to the GPS in the car and also my Garmin. You can see the bust on the Lowrance GPS in lap races you be on the same line as last time but you will see a line along side the same one you are on now sometimes. At 60 mph in one second you travel 88’ and at 61 MPH you travel 89.4’ that is a hell of a measurement of 1.4’ and 90.9 feet at 62 MPH, 2.9 feet so the people that got dinged for 61 mph you got the shaft. I do not think any of the ones at 65 plus have a leg too stand on but the radar guns sound like a great idea also. I am all for the secrete check points also that is a hell of a better idea and instant results at the end of the race when a few colored pieces of paper are missing from the stub can you then too use the tracker to see if a little short cutting was part of the racecourse.

PK CINCO

Reaction
In reference to the stub cans, "usually" when you stop for a stub can ticket at a check point,(and yes some need to be hidden or in a secret locations) there is a few people there , and your number is written down to back up the stub can ticket. There is nothing backing up the tracking systems , and when someone has taken the time and expense to do so, it should be looked at, not thrown out the window like they fabricated it
to cover up some wrong doings, the tracking systems only show where the vehicle has been, they dont lie, its true ,if you turn them off you can
not get a location or data.if vehicles are turning them off its rather
obvious they are doing it on purpose for a purpose.

Scenerio: Baja 1000 2006, i was driving a score-lite, coming of bfg on hwy 1 going into san ignacio at 2 am. We left the bfg pit ,not a sole or car in sight......10 miles down the hwy we were holding a steady 60mph, out of no where a huge light storm was behind us and it came from no where, they blew by us wide open going 85-90 mph ,it thought it was a tt or something in the upper clases, it was a 1600 car, wont mention who,it doesnt matter,they were at least 20-25 mph faster than what we were going.....so somethings up out there,and if they are cheating and get caught, throw them out for a year...they do it to some mc guys in the past!!!!! Not the red ones though....

I also agree that we as a whole , were to boycott the mis -using of these
gadgets that would shake things up, but we loose the safety factors that are built into the systems that could save some ones life.....