• Forum membership has its advantages....

The Economic impact of off-road racing

We don't talk about the positive economic impact off-road racing has on large and small communities.

Economics 101: Money earned and spent in America is a force multiplier creating income and jobs where they are needed.

Who is going to make America great again? We are!

The hard working people of America spending our hard earned dollars racing in America.

Off-Road racing generates millions in economic impact!

Spread the word by sharing this post and creating the discussion wherever you can.

#bitd #offroadracing #america #workhardplayhard #supportamerica

Pahrump Nugget 250 could generate $15M in economic impact, hotel rooms sold out

Trick trucks line up at the time trials on Thursday for the Pahrump Nugget 250. There will be nearly 150 racers for Saturday’s race, which starts in Johnnie at 8 a.m. There will be a 16-mile parade to the start line from the Nugget parking lot starting at 7:15 a.m. The race will end at the Pahrump Nugget parking lot.

Horace Langford Jr./Pahrump Valley Times

By Mick Akers
Pahrump Valley Times

The Pahrump Nugget 250 off-road race is returning to the area this weekend after a nine-year hiatus and with it a large economic impact.

Town of Pahrump Tourism Director Arlette Ledbetter said that the 250-mile race, which features 150 racers, will generate millions of dollars for the race area, with the majority of that going to the town.

“This event is so welcome here, I don’t even have the words,” Ledbetter said. “Its economic impact for this event is around $15 million.”

With the racers, crew, family and spectators coming to town, the 418 hotel rooms in Pahrump are sold out.

The sellout is a welcome surprise for Holiday Inn Express General Manager Jenny Bahler, who said she found out about the race less than a few months ago.

“We are, we might have three rooms left,” Bahler said.

With the high occupancy rate expected, Bahler said that they raised the room rate accordingly.

“For us, whenever we have increased demand, we have the ability to increase the rate,” she said. “It’s been really good financially for the hotel to have them come and it’s been a really good experience so far for us.”

Ledbetter said that selling out all the hotel rooms in town is fairly rare, with events like the Balloon Fest, Fall Festival and the Grape Stomp among those few occasions.

Having something of this magnitude, in a time that’s usually a slow period is big, according to Ledbetter.

“It’s just so incredibly great to have an event like this in December,” she said. “The fact that it returned to Pahrump makes it even more fantastic.”

Pahrump Nugget 250 could generate $15M in economic impact, hotel rooms sold out

Last edited:

nohandslance

This Race is one of the best. Albeit a loop course it is a Point to Point, Hope it returns next year.

drofmij

ummm, aaaaa maybe spell check before sending it around. Not many took econimics 101

vegasloki

That's why events like this are welcome in southern NV. In the airport expansion thread some posters were saying it would be the death of off road racing around here but that's just not the case. It may be more difficult to get it permitted and find a course but off road racing is here to stay.

I'm not trying to pee in the pool but the numbers do have to represent reality. I realize the number came from a local pol but you still have to be careful if you are going to use them with people that might be willing to support or host an event. This isn't a $15 mil impact event. Not even with pass through spending counted. Use the impact to promote the benefits of the sport but in throwing out numbers like $15 mil for an event this size you'll likely lose credibility with anyone in the valley that does this for a living. I'd like to see his calculations. Since it's in Nye County the people that determine impact in Clark may not be looking at it so we may not get numbers that reflect reality. (LVCVA and Applied Analysis)

As an example, 150 teams at 10 people a team plus support and others let's call 3000 people (though it may be closer to 2000). That's $5k/person average spending counting carry on spending. To put it in another perspective about 5 times more than what the average Strip visitor spends on a like visit (about $1200) or more than twice what the average spend of a Nascar event garners (about $2000). It's in the millions for certain but not $15 mil.

Still though, it's a great event not only for Pahrump but for southern Nevada as a whole. You can use this one, plus the impact of V2R on places like Tonopah, the smaller races at Primm and of course how the Mint brings Fremont alive for a few days each year to help sell the sport in the state.

johndjmix

Gotta wonder how much an event like the Baja 1000 brings into the community.

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com
in pesos, or cruise ship visits?

JDDurfey

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

I can tell you that in 07 when the San Felipe race was moved last minute to Ensenada the hotels and other businesses of SF were very very upset. It put a huge hurting on that town for the whole next year. Many of those hotels don't ever sell out except on race week from what I have been told.

Chaplain

God Dude
"Make America great again by more off-roading." Where were you a month ago when I was trying to decide who to vote for?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bro_Gill

Getting a community to back an event makes a big deal. In a place like Vegas, where rooms are already really expensive and hotels aren't hurting for their black line to get reached every weekend, there will not be as much support as there will be in the smaller communities who only get that kind of action during event weekends. Caliente is a perfect example. While there aren't a ton of rooms available there, every racer/chaser/spectator that is there will spend some money whether it's gas, food, a shower, etc... That is money on top of the regular till. The 4th of July race in Barstow was huge for that city. Places that want an event should be looked at as destinations fort races. How often is Stateline booked out when there isn't a race going on?

B. Everett

The economic impact stretches beyond southern Nevada... how many orders did Kartek, ORW, pci.... fill for this race. Who decided to buy a new truck for reliability to go to desert races. How many gallons of gas across the west get purchased for a race. There is tons of factors..... I work overtime just to support my crack/desert habit. Without it I don't need ot! The number is very big across the board if you look at it as a whole.

brawny

With the racers, crew, family and spectators coming to town, the 418 hotel rooms in Pahrump are sold out.

The sellout is a welcome surprise for Holiday Inn Express General Manager Jenny Bahler, who said she found out about the race less than a few months ago.

“We are, we might have three rooms left,” Bahler said.

With the high occupancy rate expected, Bahler said that they raised the room rate accordingly.

“For us, whenever we have increased demand, we have the ability to increase the rate,” she said. “It’s been really good financially for the hotel to have them come and it’s been a really good experience so far for us.”

Ledbetter said that selling out all the hotel rooms in town is fairly rare, with events like the Balloon Fest, Fall Festival and the Grape Stomp among those few occasions.

so on a regular wknd. how many rooms would've been available? 200 or more? seems like our OFF-ROAD community helped in a BIG way to sell out Holiday Inn's rooms,so why penalize the people helping you to make this happen? yes i understand business and supply in demand,still seems like another way to penalize the racing community by RAISING PRICES.

CMA GUMBY

I don't agree with the raising of rates either. Unfortunately though, that is the way things are done anymore. I am NOT a young man by any ones standards, but why do I have to pay $150 for a room on Friday night, when I paid $39 Tuesday thru Thursday? Supply and Demand.