The Flying Dutchman Airs It Out at Crandon Test Session

philsmike

Reaction
The Flying Dutchman Airs It Out at Crandon Test Session

April 13, 2009 (Appleton, WI) – Last Tuesday, Dan Vanden Heuvel Sr. took to the track for the initial test session of his recently completed “Masterpiece in Metal” PRO-2WD race truck. In fact, Dan Sr. was the first driver of the year to put down tire tracks on the most famous track in all of off-road racing, Crandon International Raceway. The new Maxxis Tire Auto Trans Design Chevy powered truck exceeded the expectations of everyone on the team.

The first couple of times out, the Flying Dutchman crew went to work on typical new truck adjustments. By early afternoon, Dan Sr. was really laying down some fast lap times. The new truck was really hooking up as the Auto Trans Design transmission moved all the Wegner-built horsepower to the Maxxis tires. This was the first time Dan Sr. was able to wear his new HJC helmet, and was much more comfortable guiding his race truck through the high speed turns that make Crandon so famous.

“Right off the trailer, this new truck felt fast,” commented Vanden Heuvel. “After a few adjustments, I found myself keeping the throttle on the floor all the way through Turn One. It has been some time since I had a truck that was capable of going flat out through that corner. The new HJC helmet is so much lighter that my old helmet. It will definitely reduce drive fatigue, especially when you are in a heated battle with only a couple of laps to the finish.”

By late afternoon, the Flying Dutchman crew loaded up the hauler and headed back to Appleton feeling very confident about the performance of the new race truck. The next few days were spend cleaning and inspecting the truck before loading it back in the hauler for the trek to Texas Motor Speedway. With less than a week before the first race of the season, the Flying Dutchman Off-Road team is still work hard to find a title sponsor for the upcoming TORC season. As stated earlier in the year, the team plans on running every round of racing, and will continue to pursue marketing relationships even as TORC begins its race season.

The first race of the season for the Flying Dutchman is May 15-16 at the Dirt Track at Texas Motor Speedway.

The race will be broadcast, Sunday, May 24, at 11:00am on ESPN2.

For more information about Dan Vanden Heuvel Sr. and the Flying Dutchman Off-Road Race Team, visit: www.flyingdutchmanoffroad.com or email: flydtmn77@aol.com

-Mike Reusche, marketing MTG

Last edited:

McGill

Reaction
Where's the video???
Can't wait to see this truck in a race. I may have to make a trip to Crandon this year.