The FORD BRONCO is back! (Officially)

Reaction
The FORD BRONCO is back! (Officially)

"Rugged all-new Ford Bronco midsize SUV returns in 2020 as a global vehicle; both Bronco and Ranger to be built at Ford’s Michigan Assembly Plant."

“We’ve heard our customers loud and clear. They want a new generation of vehicles that are incredibly capable yet fun to drive,” said Joe Hinrichs, Ford’s president of The Americas. Bronco will be a no-compromise midsize 4x4 utility for thrill seekers who want to venture way beyond the city.”

FORD_bronco_retuns.jpg

Reaction
^^^ But this isn't it.

aiiraciing

Reaction
Great Ford heard the people, but Ford we don't want some watered down version like the Jen2 Raptor you just released

Phoenix0783

Reaction
They said it's going to be body on frame, so that's good. It's probably going to compete with the Wrangler.

J Prich

Reaction
The good news is I have until 2020 to save, so the amount that I won't be able to afford it by will be slightly smaller.

TRAVISD

Reaction
If it was the Raptor platform would be awesome with the Bronco body on it.

Dirty Harry

Reaction
Great Ford heard the people, but Ford we don't want some watered down version like the Jen2 Raptor you just released
"Watered down" with more travel, bigger shocks, less weight, more horsepower, and a transmission with more gears than a bicycle?

vegasloki

Reaction
The only Bronco related graphic shown was a logo. No pics, no specs. It's going to be be on the same production line as the Ranger so it's likely to share that platform which was hinted in the release. The Ranger is a US version of what they make in Thailand for the international market. Hopefully it will have the i3 i5 diesel option. (I'm looking forward to pricing in the new Cummins crate to put in a 99 Ranger)

A new F150 as well with a diesel option in 2018.

EDIT: the Duratorq is in line 5 Ford Duratorq engine - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Chris Tobin

Reaction
The only Bronco related graphic shown was a logo. No pics, no specs. It's going to be be on the same production line as the Ranger so it's likely to share that platform which was hinted in the release. The Ranger is a US version of what they make in Thailand for the international market. Hopefully it will have the i3 i5 diesel option. (I'm looking forward to pricing in the new Cummins crate to put in a 99 Ranger)

A new F150 as well with a diesel option in 2018.

EDIT: the Duratorq is in line 5 Ford Duratorq engine - Wikipedia
I believe that I5 is used in the fullsize Ford Transit Cargo van, we ran a review on it in Ultimate Diesel Builder's Guide magazine a few issues back. I didn't do the review, but our reviewer Thom Cannell liked it a lot for a panel/work van...

That new Cummins R2.8 crate engine is a nice piece. I haven't been able to get pricing out of them yet... I would like to put one in a Jeep...

vegasloki

Reaction
I believe that I5 is used in the fullsize Ford Transit Cargo van, we ran a review on it in Ultimate Diesel Builder's Guide magazine a few issues back. I didn't do the review, but our reviewer Thom Cannell liked it a lot for a panel/work van...

That new Cummins R2.8 crate engine is a nice piece. I haven't been able to get pricing out of them yet... I would like to put one in a Jeep...

Yeah, the i5 is used in the Transit. You can get a smaller diesel in the little Transit, the Connect in non US markets. If the full size Transit had better towing capacity I'd be interested. I rent an Ecoboost one a couple times a month. Great van, would be weak if you need to pull a trailer.

I don't think they've priced the Cummins yet. At SEMA they weren't giving pricing either.

We just haven't taken a shine to diesels in general auto like the rest of the world, cheap gas (compared to the rest of the western world) being a big factor. Maybe with guys like Sparks being on TV that can change a little. Putting a diesel in a trail truck/pre runneri-sh DD build is fuel economy and some off road grunt.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Yeah, the i5 is used in the Transit. You can get a smaller diesel in the little Transit, the Connect in non US markets. If the full size Transit had better towing capacity I'd be interested. I rent an Ecoboost one a couple times a month. Great van, would be weak if you need to pull a trailer.

I don't think they've priced the Cummins yet. At SEMA they weren't giving pricing either.

We just haven't taken a shine to diesels in general auto like the rest of the world, cheap gas (compared to the rest of the western world) being a big factor. Maybe with guys like Sparks being on TV that can change a little. Putting a diesel in a trail truck/pre runneri-sh DD build is fuel economy and some off road grunt.
I talked to the Cummins PR/Marketing guy last week and they don't have anything to release price or schedule wise yet. But hopefully soon!!!

And I agree that diesel's are great engines... I just wish VW hadn't given them a fresh black eye to go with the one GM gave diesel in the 80s!!!

I am very happy to hear that Ford is finally putting a diesel in the F-150 and hope that with Dodge and Ford doing one GM will finally put on in the 1500 Silverado/Sierra. Honestly I'd like to see them do the 4.5L V8 Duramax that they designed, but they will probably go with a 3.0-3.5L V6 to compete with the Ford and Dodge V6s directly. The 4.5L was a GREAT engine, but fuel costs at the time got it shelved.

The Colorado/Canyon with the 2.8L baby Duramax diesel is a great truck for sure and with GM announcing they are doing the 1.6L whisper diesel in the 2nd Gen Cruze and 2018 Equinox they should put a diesel in the half-ton trucks to round out the line up. But we'll have to wait and see...

I wonder how the I5 in the Ranger will compare to the I4 in the Colorado??? We may end up with a new set of Horsepower wars like the ones raging in the Full-size segment with their diesel engine making north of 400 HP and nearly 1,000 lbs-ft of torque now!!! With simple tuning and bolt-ons the new diesel trucks are making over 500 HP and over 1,000 TQ to the rear wheels on chassis dynos!!!

Fun stuff for sure!!!

renagade

Reaction
I give you the new Bronco. sorta...

SUV based off the the soon to be global ranger.

Apparently they are both getting a refresh for next year and that's likely the new Bronco/Ranger combo that you will also be getting in the states.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Wow, that would be underwhelming...

vegasloki

Reaction
I give you the new Bronco. sorta...

Apparently they are both getting a refresh for next year and that's likely the new Bronco/Ranger combo that you will also be getting in the states.
That's absolutely not the Bronco. Bronco is going to be a 2 door to compete directly with the Jeep line in the same config. There is a general description of it in the announcement. There was a concept introduced before the recession that held the body styling of the original Bronco but when the market cratered they didn't continue to develop it.

Here's a mashup of pics and footage from that show.

The Ranger will be the global Ranger platform with the Bronco body style and mechanicals on a common platform. A Bronco isn't an SUV in the traditional sense, it's going to be more of a trail/off road truck.

Reaction
A Bronco isn't an SUV in the traditional sense
What DID they legalize in Nevada!?! o_O

My 1976 Scout II would disagree with that.

I still say it's closer to the Everest than that "concept."

Where did you hear tudor, BTW?

I remember when Thunderbirds were tudors...both times...didn't sell so well. :oops:

renagade

Reaction
I suspect it will be a version of the 2019/2020 Everest with an front end that follows what ever trend/styling ford trucks usa have going at the time.