The FORD BRONCO is back! (Officially)

BigBlue&Goldie

True, yet Jeep sells every solid axle Wrangler they can build.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today
For the Wrangler? I assure you that they are not desperately working on an IFS Wrangler. They are doing everything they can to keep the solid axle under the new Wrangler and meet their CAFE requirements.
Key words.....CAFE standards. They aren't going to be any easier to meet in 2020. I'm all for a solid axle, but you've already identified the biggest obstacle.

And Peewee knows a thing or two about Jeeps........

John F2000

The FORD BRONCO is back! (Officially)

"Rugged all-new Ford Bronco midsize SUV returns in 2020 as a global vehicle; both Bronco and Ranger to be built at Ford’s Michigan Assembly Plant."

“We’ve heard our customers loud and clear. They want a new generation of vehicles that are incredibly capable yet fun to drive,” said Joe Hinrichs, Ford’s president of The Americas. Bronco will be a no-compromise midsize 4x4 utility for thrill seekers who want to venture way beyond the city.”

View attachment 176992

I remember the last time Ford Heard us customers. I was so excited when they announced it, I
1988-Ford-Bronco-II-1024x516.jpg
bought one right away. Hopefully this time they really heard us.

Attachments

Phoenix0783

For the Wrangler? I assure you that they are not desperately working on an IFS Wrangler. They are doing everything they can to keep the solid axle under the new Wrangler and meet their CAFE requirements.
How does a solid axle affect fuel economy?

JDDurfey

Bring back the TTB! That is one of the great features of the Bronco in my opinion. Great wheel travel with a 4x4.

Chris Tobin

In ten years IFS has won once at KOH.

But the real issue I see is that solid axles are easy to lift or to swap out for a stronger axle if so desired.

So Harry, how did the IFS rigs do this year at KOH???

Dirty Harry

So Harry, how did the IFS rigs do this year at KOH???
As you know, they swept the podium. I think that the easier the course is, the better IFS works. They win nearly all the other Ultra4 races other than KOH on a regular basis. And this year half the field finished, the highest ever, which I think gives an indication of the difficulty. Hell even I finished KOH this year!

Chris Tobin

As you know, they swept the podium. I think that the easier the course is, the better IFS works. They win nearly all the other Ultra4 races other than KOH on a regular basis. And this year half the field finished, the highest ever, which I think gives an indication of the difficulty. Hell even I finished KOH this year!

So can we agree now that IFS can work well even in hardcore situations??? And given that, IFS should be fine for just about any SUV/Jeep out there...

SuperRanger

Ford built the Raptor. They won't neglect the market. I'm confident it will be a great machine worthy of the Bronco nameplate.

isdtbower

With the increase in Outside Of Tire width it is not a big stretch to add IFS or IRS. The Dana independent centers look narrow. If they added the offset pinion feature (that I would bet they have provided thru the military) that would lower the motor and CG to something outstanding. The aftermarket could offer larger CV-uprights to get 40* of turning and a racing camber curve. Happy racers and wheelers..

On Harry's point on IFS breaking. They have been as reliable as SA for more than a year now. The problem points have been found, and it is only those asking for the last couple degrees of suspension and turning that create their own problems. The IFS cars are wider which may give the impression that they are slower in the rocks, but I have not seen it. With full belly skids from the bumper to seat backs or motors, they can speed skid most anything. IRS has the advantage of continuing that skid almost to the rear. Any of this would not be in any marketing plans probably, but there are some pretty capable modified Toyota IFS running around...but not racing.

With the HP wars, it seems like portals would be a consideration. Cody Wagoner could have paid for a lot of their R&D.

BigBlue&Goldie

So can we agree now that IFS can work well even in hardcore situations??? And given that, IFS should be fine for just about any SUV/Jeep out there...
It's really hard to compare KOH to regular four wheeling. With enough go pedal those buggys will do amazing things. To expect a factory IFS to hold up as well as a solid axle is a stretch......as a Chevy guy you know this better than anyone. Very few people are hoping for IFS on the Bronco or next generation of Wrangler.

Chris Tobin

It's really hard to compare KOH to regular four wheeling. With enough go pedal those buggys will do amazing things. To expect a factory IFS to hold up as well as a solid axle is a stretch......as a Chevy guy you know this better than anyone. Very few people are hoping for IFS on the Bronco or next generation of Wrangler.
True, but for what the majority of owners put them through they will be fine. AND they can be made to last for the hard core guys too. It seems that Ford has a pretty good handle on IFS with the Raptor, I'm not in the loop, but I have not heard of IFS problems with the Raptors like GMs. Do the Raptors toe-in hard under acceleration like the GMs do stock?

Seems to me that with the success of the Raptor, if Ford used a scaled version of the Raptor IFS on the Bronco III that buyers would be satisfied. But maybe I am wrong. It really depends on what their goal is with the Bronco III, if they want to sell a lot of them make them look AND ride good. If they want to sell in limited numbers make it look good AND be unbeatable in hard core off road situations... But I think targeting the 0.01% of the population that are hard core off roaders would be a sales mistake on Ford's part. This seems to be evident by the number of Raptors that I see here in Tennessee which is far from the SW deserts that the trucks excel in!!!! Gee, even my wife's back surgeon owns a Raptor!

isdtbower

I tend to agree with SA for regular wheeling. In recent years they have also been able to go with larger diameter and greater offset wheels. This puts the KPI inside the wheels so hitting a rock, etc does not want to lever off the knuckle. The same strategy is being used in IFS. I am working a IFS and IRS project now because I wanted precise mechanical steering and no panhard bar. Mainly for go fast. Today, there have been some advancements in Hydro steering to tighten the drift so IFS would have been a harder decision to make. Of course hydro would not be acceptable OEM either. (Lets see if steering by wire gets a regulated OK) But for.. medium to slow go, a panhard bar works.

You would think that Dana would have put together a few mules to parade around the offroad community to soften or excite any introduction if there was more than just engineering interest. Yes. Probably more innovation and experience at Ford (Raptor) to get it done.