The Gloves are off

Paige

Reaction
CORDR has joined the fight with 10 other orgs in a suit against the BLM for closures as a result of the CBD lawsuit. CORDR is listed in this suit and as a non-profit org, is accepting donations to help pay for our portion of the legal bills.

<font color=yellow>Lawsuit challenges off-road vehicle ban</font color=yellow>
11 groups charge that agency's move didn't allow for public review.
By Jerry Bier
The Fresno Bee
(Published Saturday, July, 13, 2002, 8:55 AM)

Off-road vehicle supporters filed suit Friday in federal court in Fresno challenging the Bureau of Land Management's decision to ban the vehicles from more than a million acres of California desert.Eleven organizations joined the complaint charging that the closures violated federal laws by not allowing public review and comment before the bureau's decision was made.San Diego lawyer David P. Hubbard, who filed the lawsuit, said in an interview that the organizations had exhausted administrative appeals before filing the complaint for an injunction.The land in question covers much of the Mojave's desert region and includes federal, state and private acreage.It was supposed to be a temporary closing while the BLM developed new plans for the area, Hubbard said, but it is not known when the final plans will be finished."And it appears most of the plans are going to keep the areas closed to off-road vehicles anyway," Hubbard added.John Dearing, a spokesman for the BLM in Sacramento, said the agency had not seen the lawsuit and declined comment "until we get a chance to review it."The BLM decision grew out of another lawsuit in federal court in San Francisco in which the Center for Biological Diversity, Sierra Club and Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility contended the BLM had violated the Endangered Species Act and failed to protect animal species in the desert areas.That decision, which involved protection of the Desert Tortoise, also effectively closed the million acres of desert to off-road or off-highway recreation, the complaint filed Friday charges.The lawsuit seeks a judgment or injunction barring the BLM closures without first conducting an environmental review and involving public participation.The plaintiffs include the American Motorcycle Association District 37 Sports Committee; the Americans for Forest Access; Backcountry Horsemen of California Inc.; Blue Ribbon Coalition (identified as an Idaho nonprofit corporation); California Off-Road Vehicle Association; California State Horsemen's Association; Coalition of Off-Road Desert Racers; High Desert Multiple Use Coalition; Los Pretot's Desert Club; Off-Road Business Association; and San Diego Off-Road Coalition.In addition to the BLM, the complaint names the Department of the Interior and Secretary of the Interior Gale Norton as defendants.The reporter can be reached at jbier@fresnobee.com or (559) 441-6484.

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>

Rodney

Reaction
I'm sending a check today!! I'm glad to be on the offensive for a change. We have TRUTH on our side, there is nodoubt we will prevail.

Winning IS everything

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Would this be in conjunction with Boxer's proposed land closure?

See ya in the dirt!

Paige

Reaction
No this is in response to the closures enacted by the BLM as a result of the CBD lawsuit - has nothing to do with Boxer's proposed wilderness bill.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Thanks Paige. So then there are technically 2 million acres that are being proposes for closure?

See ya in the dirt!

martininsocal

Reaction
no- 2.5 million new in addition to the 80,000 + miles of trails the BLM closed as an "emergency" due to the CBD lawsuit. it never ends...

martin

If your gonna go, go BIG

choppekx

Reaction
What is the deal with the Desert tortoise anyway. They are endangered, but seem to be everywhere. There was some talk a couple of years ago of closing the highway between Yuma, and Blythe (that also goes to Glamis from Yuma) because of the deserttortoise.

Chris

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
Paige - Thanks for all you do for our sport. We all are in your debt. The check is in the mail, really!

Paige

Reaction
Don't get me started on the DT - I am writing my thoughts on the little guy right now in a letter to the BLM regarding recovery of the species in the West Mojave Plan - I can tell you that to quote the person in charge of the WEMO plan - the DT is declining "due to a death of a thousand cuts." This includes - human intrusion on habtitat through building. along wtih predation from ravens, coyotes and feral dogs, a bone disease and respiratory disease and drought are apparently the main reasons for the decline in populations. OHV's have very little impact on the health and stability of the DT - This was found through actual studies they conducted for the WEMO process.....but shhhhhhhh don't tell anyone and maybe they will close more land to protect them - But wait - are there studies to tell us how the recovery is going in the currently closed sections of land that were closed to protect the DT? well - uh -hmmmm.....uh....NO!

martininsocal

Reaction
paige- you mean the fact that there are no tortoises left in the cal-city toryoise preserve where no OHV and Off Road Vehicle travel is permitted? come on, has to be ILLEGAL off roading! has to be...has to be...has to be...if they keep chanting the mantra enough, it has to come true(or at least the public will believe!)

If your gonna go, go BIG

RacnCPA

Reaction
Thanks Paige, for letting everyone know what's going on with CORDR. Glad to see such a good response and a willingness to donate to the cause. Checks can be sent anytime, no need to wait for a special event. Please send them to:

C.O.R.D.R. or Coalition of Off-Road Desert Racers
c/o Sheryl Cannon, Treasurer
536 S. Second Avenue, Suite E
Covina, CA 91723

Thank you in advance for your donation.

Sc

jimpat

Reaction
Paige...... in a couple weeks i am going to be phoenix and tucson for some sprint car business and I would like to go to the office of the environazi Center for biological deversity..... where are they?
I am going to be just a tourist from Italy and kind of infiltrate it.... I can just see whats going on and as my cousin that will be here from Italy is a water treatment engineer, I'll have him do the asking and the talking and see exactly what they are trying to do next. ( we know. Close the whole desert to the people )
jim

when everything is under control, you are going to slow!!!!!

Paige

Reaction
Jim - Let me see what I can find out and I'll pm you the info.