THE GOOD, BAD AND UGLY ABOUT THE 2021 MEXICAN 1000

CHINOLAS

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
Agree with Landshark. The Stella is a PIA to wire in with constant power. Our unit functioned properly as far as we could determine other than the breakdown alerts which flashed adjacent to or after passing the vehicle. We always tried to pull over to allow a pass before we got the request. Sometimes it’s difficult to find a safe place to pull over so everyone has to be a little patient. It all comes down to sportsmanship and respect. Lend a hand when you can, allow a pass, respect the speed zones for the BENEFIT OF THE LANDOWNERS AND COMMUNITIES we are privileged to transit. At some point lack of respect and disregard may well shut us out.
On another note, how does one contact photo vendors?
Photos are available from FOTOSOL

Alex Soltero fotosolweb@yahoo.com

CHINOLAS

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
Awesome event, in the face of what I am sure was significant hurdles. This was our second event, the first being '19. Some thoughts.

1. My only real complaint was several delayed messages (I assume delayed) from race control to my stella. In three different cases, after I had corrected a navigation error, several minutes later I got a "Wrong Way! OK?" message. In two of those cases, I actually turned around AGAIN and headed back to what was originally the WRONG direction until I figured out the messages were severely delayed. This has to get fixed.

2. My stella did not enter speed control mode for some areas. I could have gone hammer down but didn't (new gravel hill on day 1). Race control shouldn't rely on local storage for violations. IF not already, audit actual reported speeds in transits for the leaders at least.

3. If ever a loop race again, please loop moto out and back to GN. BoLA accommodations are awful and made worse by the extra teams. poop, run everyone out to GN vs. BoLA on a peninsula run and skip that place altogether.

4. SF to Mag7 splash and the reverse on Day 4 was over 90 miles. I run a 4.6 gallon tank and needed all of it. I did not see any open fuel stations along the way.

4. Roadbooks southbound were fine.

5. Roadbooks northbound had issues. I expected this and assume it is largely endemic to this event vs. future events. This was my favorite (68.21). The flaggers were waving us left. I went with the roadbook and went right because I've had enough of being messed with already at this point by unofficial flaggers. In hindsight, yes highway crossings haven't been where that happens, but this shouldn't happen.

ebbb5f84-1b85-489c-a379-b48491c863f3-jpeg.2942330
Thanks for the input, we knew BOLA was going to be a challenge for bikes on the way back but I thought GN to GN was too long and decided to do a short day 3 but fun with new trails, maybe I was wrong about it.

Mag 7 was supposed to be at OLD COCOS CORNER which was less than 70 miles in the stage, maybe with transit included it was too long for you but I assumed all bikes and stock UTV´s were going to be refueled prior to starting the special stage.

Waypoint 68 drawing tried to do it as much closer to what the image showed but I think I missed the southbound part of the highway in the drawing, sorry if that confused you.

Attachments

• WPT 68 BIKES.png
    WPT 68 BIKES.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 44

knotcher

RDC Crypto
Thanks for the input, we knew BOLA was going to be a challenge for bikes on the way back but I thought GN to GN was too long and decided to do a short day 3 but fun with new trails, maybe I was wrong about it.

Mag 7 was supposed to be at OLD COCOS CORNER which was less than 70 miles in the stage, maybe with transit included it was too long for you but I assumed all bikes and stock UTV´s were going to be refueled prior to starting the special stage.

Waypoint 68 drawing tried to do it as much closer to what the image showed but I think I missed the southbound part of the highway in the drawing, sorry if that confused you.

I should have just gone with the flaggers and the compass. I was pissed that I let a local in a King hoodie and a 4runner with a light bar mess me up for 10 minutes in the first 3 miles or so of B11 and was extra salty with the other locals that tries to f*** with me.

Highway flaggers are a different sort. Lesson learned. :D

Also, the special from GN to BoLA was super fun. No complaints about that!

Last edited:

landshark

RDC Crypto
Our team had a fantastic time overall and as mentioned numerous times I can't imagine the level of effort behind the scenes to pull this one off.

Contingency and Inspection were easy and worked well for us both days (displayed our bronco the 2nd day). It was nice to be able to take care of some last minute business without having to fight the crowds or each other for vendors attention and be rushed through inspection. Food and drink were great, Horsepower seemed to be a great fit for this years limited access event. Brain probe was easy and relatively painless.

It was nice to not have to fight the crowds during contingency, but of course it isn't the same experience and look forward to fighting the crowds and each other on the streets of Ensenada next year. If we end up back at Horsepower, better wifi connectivity would be a nice to have. Allot of the communications were issued through the website and other online means and some changes and communication were missed as we didn't have access up there and word of mouth was key.

During the race: Realizing the number of competitors and the challenges being faced this year I will say things seemed to go pretty smooth overall. Again, finish line food was good in most locations and of course beer was plentiful. Everyone from NORRA we ran into was very helpful, cheerful and easy to deal with; as were all the competitors. BOLA lived up to expectations and we actually enjoyed it.

Road books were good going down and back with just a few small issues ( i can't recall them at the moment) but they were minor for us and worked great overall.
The biggest issue we had - or rather assumption we had made were the transitions from pavement to dirt in the stages heading north. The first 3 days there was always some indication of the course where it turned back into the dirt. Most of the 4th day we didn't see any indication where the dirt portions began transitioning from the highway. Not a huge deal, but some of those transitions come up quick and the entrances were sometimes small and/or had a dangerous drop off (for us at least). We had several occasions when we were being tailgated by non-racer traffic right up to the turn. On a few where you have a left off highway I had to block the left lane to keep them from passing us and had to be double sure there was no on-coming traffic. It would be nice to have a least a cone, or sign or something just indicating - "hey entrance is here". We relied on the road book of course, but i think having something or someone on those transitions would be helpful. I did see locals and/or chase crews stand in on some of them but I never know who to trust out there ;)

1st day - course change - I realize this was a last minute issue with what I assume where the land owners, but from talking to many and in my opinion we should have just cut out the 1st SS. I can appreciate trying to re-route and making it as fun and long as possible, but it wasn't very much fun. The 2nd SS was great, even with the long 25mph zone up the gravel switchbacks, we had so much fun on that stage.

4th day course change - I was a little disappointed in the section getting cut, It would have been interesting in the dunes heading north as they were pretty ripped up coming south but glad we didn't get stuck out on the tidal flats :)

Finish Line - no complaints here. I think for the restrictions you had to fight to have the event it went well. Defiantly looking forward to a return to the peninsula format.

Thanks again Eliseo and thank you to the rest of the NORRA family.

Rory

Crayola Killer
RDC Crypto
Website
www.racers-only.com
^^^^^I know where that's at....hahahahaha.

No complaints on my end, with all the trouble NORRA went through to even get this event off the ground in the first place, I'm just happy their was an event at all. I REALLY enjoyed the new sections, you guys are really working hard to try and change things up instead of the same old roads in and out.

Something to think about, I know we ALL love racing down the Peninsula but every year can get quite expensive for the little guys. So this next question is going to the little guys:

Would you guys be more willing to race a loop race instead of the point to point every couple years? I was thinking something to TALK about would be every 3rd year do a loop race. Hope I don't get burned at the stake for saying that but I was pretty surprised when talking to a bunch of different racers that they were NOT that upset about not racing all the way down the Peninsula.

Great job NORRA, golf clap all around.

Also, just bought a BUNCH of photos from FotoSol, great price and well worth it.

knotcher

RDC Crypto

No complaints on my end, with all the trouble NORRA went through to even get this event off the ground in the first place, I'm just happy their was an event at all. I REALLY enjoyed the new sections, you guys are really working hard to try and change things up instead of the same old roads in and out.

Something to think about, I know we ALL love racing down the Peninsula but every year can get quite expensive for the little guys. So this next question is going to the little guys:

Would you guys be more willing to race a loop race instead of the point to point every couple years? I was thinking something to TALK about would be every 3rd year do a loop race. Hope I don't get burned at the stake for saying that but I was pretty surprised when talking to a bunch of different racers that they were NOT that upset about not racing all the way down the Peninsula.

Also, just bought a BUNCH of photos from FotoSol, great price and well worth it.

I didn't mind the lack of a run, but the ability to hang in Cabo for a couple of days at the end is really nice. Finding nice places in and around Ensenada is a challenge. I do imagine that a loop opens up some new possibilities for routes, though.

Moto as bivouac would possibly increase entry fee but decrease costs.

One other thing I forgot to mention. Around Laguna Del Diablo was way better than across it.

john Mcc

RDC Crypto

Rory I mentioned it a few days back on here and talked with Mike P about it at the race also. i think its a great ideal.

Shazaam

RDC Crypto
I agree but in terms of fairness how do you know who is really cheating the unit and who really had RF antenna problems?

Also, the Start order does not include penalties so technically if the guy in front did not allow to pass he most likely be faster and start in front the next day, it sucks but this year we had more issues with push to pass than any other, I wanted to penalize but in ALL cases no data was good enough to justify the penalty so I was hand-tied, on day 5 end Mike Lund 00 nerfed Lee Banning 1248 and Butch Jensen 25, both filed an incident form to us and Lund did as well, Lund's defense was that he was too close to them and couldn't brake when they finally stopped and moved away and it was not intentional, STELLA Records show 1248 was in front of 00 for more than 17 miles, more than 30 minutes and never moved so if there where any bad intentions on Lund he would never have waited for 17 miles to hit the car in front, how can I as race director DQ if I don't have the right evidence to demonstrate that it was intentional.

This is something that is stealing the fun out of the rally and we need to find the best way to deal with passing without nerfing and also without putting the guy behind in danger by not moving away.

still open to suggestions.
Curious if there was any time given back to the 00 once it was decided the 1248 held them up.

mgobaja

RDC Crypto
something to consider going forward maybe, collect an extra $20 from each entry, and award it to the top finished with ZERO penalties, if that doesnt happen, then the one with the least penalties. do this for steering wheels and one for handlebars.

Dirtfarmer

RDC Crypto
I have to 2nd Rory's opinion about the loop idea. It makes the event a lot easier to end up back up North. There are possibilities for a run down the Sea of Cortez, than back up the pacific side or vice versa. Maybe alternate years with the Peninsula run, and the end in Loreto would be cool too...It would be interesting to see what other participants think. Once again, loved all of it and can't wait to do it again. Thanks for all the hard work to the NORRA crew. I'm over griping about the Stella and the drivers non compliance. Might have cost me some spots in the overall, but we did better than we expected, so its all good. Next year....

JenMorton

RDC Crypto
Website
jenmortonracing.com
Have you considered making the bike routes road book only? No more GPS, but maybe keep LeadNav since it’s inside the helmet speakers.

I think the overall bike speeds will be slightly slower and in turn safer. And, you might entice more rally racers to enter who want to hone their navigation skills.

My suggestion needs several months or even a years notice so racers can get towers built and practice using them.

BajaTriumph

RDC Crypto
Congratulations to the entire Norra crew for an extremely great event, despite all the painful ups & downs of the rough year!! Agree with Rory, as a truly ‘truly little guy’ team and a supporter of the long run to Cabo, the loop run was much more logistically and financially easier to handle! The course was great down south, but not so enjoyable in first day section. A start in Mexicali will be interesting again, not as scenic, but simpler!
Gracias Amigos of Norra!!!

Zambo

RDC Crypto
What was the beef with the first day? I wasn't there unfortunately but the beach to San Vicente, the crossover road, and the mike's loop are generally pretty fun?

BajaTriumph

RDC Crypto
What was the beef with the first day? I wasn't there unfortunately but the beach to San Vicente, the crossover road, and the mike's loop are generally pretty fun?
Speed Zones!! The roads were great, but the area is getting so populated that we risk alienating off-road racing around local populations! Always love racing on the Pacific side!!

landshark

RDC Crypto
The coastal run in the 1st special was cut from the 4 wheeled vehicle route on the evening before and a lengthy speed zone bypass section was added that popped us out near San Vincente and hwy 1 and the start of the real race :)

BajaTriumph

RDC Crypto
The coastal run in the 1st special was cut from the 4 wheeled vehicle route on the evening before and a lengthy speed zone bypass section was added that popped us out near San Vincente and hwy 1 and the start of the real race :)Then the long speed zone across to Valle T...