• Forum membership has its advantages....

The "Ironman" debate

Curtis Guise

Administrator
For the last few years we've all been seeing racers claiming to Ironman (Ironwoman) the Baja 1000. But what do you classify as a true Ironman effort?

For me it would be this guy, 734x Bob Kimber, 62 years old from Colorado. I took a quick screenshot during his interview yesterday because I thought to myself, what a true badass doing this at 62 years old. Bob is racing solo on his bike along with 14 other Ironman riders listed in the 2019 Baja 1000 entry list.
734x-2019-baja1000.jpg

And of course there's this guy in his Toyota... The reason I fell in love with off road racing and became a Toyota fanboy. (photos from this feature)

race_dezert_ivan_stewart_0077.jpg
race_dezert_ivan_stewart_0068.jpg

Anyone that can drive an 800-1000 mile race solo without changing drivers is a badass and deserves respect. But if there's someone in a second seat that's helping with navigation, flats, etc. can, or should they be called an Ironman? It seems like that name is thrown around pretty loosely these days and I'm not sure if I like it... Lets hear what everyone else thinks.

jon coleman

maybe we'll call 2 in the car ' mild steel dudes' , yup, solo is only scenario for ' ironman' designation, i did 90% of my 1700 career solo, ( changing a tire solo kicked my a$$), had a fellow concerned jp speeder bring up' hey, u gotta have a co rider, i says , ' ok , find a volunteer w helmet', no more ' concern', wOw, 62', im going riding this weekend, no excuses now....

y2kbaja

A team (left and right seat) doing the entire Baja 1000 with no back up drivers or co-drivers can be an Ironman, what else do you call it? It's certainly not solo. Since there are only a handful of single seaters left maybe a single seat Ironman is a "True Ironman".

MTPyle

I see Sara Price says she is going to Iron Woman the B1K. :)

there needs to be a catagory for the true Ironman that is solo. But it’s still pretty impressive to be a single driver for a race like the B1K, if your fast.

On one hand its a lot of work. But if you don’t have to change tires or get unstuck then it’s easier. I drove 465 miles of the B1K last year and was spent. But we got stuck for hours and hours. If I never had to get out of the truck and we finished in normal time I would have been fine. I was in the truck and in my helmet for 16 hours. I could have drove the entire race if we didn’t get Stuck and me having to get out and dig for hours.

My point is if I can be in my helmet and working that hard for 16 hours than most people can do it, I am old, overweight, and out of shape.

So for me the Single driver with a Co driver is not the same as a true Ironman.

Now if someone went 30hours in a race working hard the entire time then I am impressed.

Mike

jon coleman

fast=u make next chk point 5 min before closing, bar room full of guys telling storys ' i was fastest to chk point one, then i got flat, bleww trans, got stuck, crashed, dog has flees , ect ..but yes, only time u touch seat belts is at start, and on trailor after finish in pits is a Nice relief!!

Klaus

Administrator
The real Iron Man is a Rally Raid Malles Motos

Story:

Tldr:
One Rider. Rider is the crew that fixes the vehicle. Multiple days of continues racing. Smiles for the camera.

Josh 8

Its all internet BS until some one does it!

What I mean is that people on the internet can throw there cyber rocks at the guy that drives the entire thing with some one in the rider seat all they want. But until they have done it, it's just internet BS from people that have no I idea of what a 800 to 1200 miles in the seat feels like.

On a different note. Here a picture from about 1/4 the way up the “new” summit route from Monday. I bet it’s a mess today.

51A588FF-C7A4-4B0D-AF98-48A45015404E.jpeg

Ikaika

The title of this "thread" reads The Ironman debate.......lets keep it simple........Solo handlebar participants by far take this title ( in my opinion ) and go almost unnoticed...........SOLO drivers are next in line for the title....this goes against conventional thinking.......but simply put....those SOLO handlebar participants are far more exposed, subjected to far more in terms of body & energy fatigue / injury ( even in the smallest of tip-overs ), threat from booby traps & livestock etc... and somehow largely overlooked.
Yup, they don't have to "change a tire" on the race course.....they have to RIDE WITH THE FLAT for however far it may be until such time that a replacement wheel is available !
Challengers are anticipated.....but this will be my one and only entry for this topic.

tapeworm

Ivan Stewart didn’t get the nickname “Ironman” by having a co-rider. Unfortunately this is all opinion based with no real definition. In a two seat vehicle you could say that person “solo’d” the race as the solo driver, but the waters do get muddy as solo implies only one person and there is another person present in the vehicle.

On another note, it would be cool for SCORE to create a new series award for anyone that is able to Ironman or Solo every race mile for the year just like the true grit or milestone award.

51rcr

Ok someone come up with the correct terminology for the Variants. But the Handle Bar folks get the highest prestige for whatever they come up with. A cage and a seat is nothing like the physical and mental requirements a handle bar class takes. Not even a close comparison.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
I cant remember his name and it is so worthy of mention. But we had an Ironman in 2018 for the entire BITD Motorcycle series. This guy even took the Ironman title to a new level:

The day before the race he went to each pit. He placed a folding table at each pit. On the table was a drink, snack and a energy gel that was taped so it would rip it open as he pulled it from the tape on the table. His gas mat was on the ground with his fuel and a note on the table that said who he was and entry number.

Race day, he would race, very competitively and when he would get to his pit, fuel his bike wile taking his snack and gel. People would always offer to help and he would not allow them to. It often would slow down his process if they tried.

Then after he finished the race, he would go back to each pit and pick up his stuff.

Not sure what is harder than Iron, but this guy deserves a special title..

novaman64

I cant remember his name and it is so worthy of mention. But we had an Ironman in 2018 for the entire BITD Motorcycle series. This guy even took the Ironman title to a new level:

The day before the race he went to each pit. He placed a folding table at each pit. On the table was a drink, snack and a energy gel that was taped so it would rip it open as he pulled it from the tape on the table. His gas mat was on the ground with his fuel and a note on the table that said who he was and entry number.

Race day, he would race, very competitively and when he would get to his pit, fuel his bike wile taking his snack and gel. People would always offer to help and he would not allow them to. It often would slow down his process if they tried.

Then after he finished the race, he would go back to each pit and pick up his stuff.

Not sure what is harder than Iron, but this guy deserves a special title..
Tungsten