• Forum membership has its advantages....

The "Ironman" debate

Dezduster

What is more than iron for iron has no will, what name actually describes the awesomeness of a rider capable of going the distance solo?
Every class has their heroes but none exhibit the mental tenacity the physical prowess it takes to solo the thousand. So what do you you call a rider that solos the thousand, as a rider I call them nucking futs but it's with the uneasy acknowledgment that they are, more man than me, more man than most, a Maan among men.
With that being said the only name that actually describes this mythical beast in my opinion is "The Maan".

So for "The Maan" of 2019 Baja 1000 Salute and may your maness inspire and conquer.
God bless and God speed Maan.

buckwild

Back when Ivan Stewart was racing with PPI Toyota things we're a lot different then the course was nowhere near as rough as it is today. Toyota seem to have more pit stops then the Mcmillans an Herbst combined I don't think Ivan really ever got out of the truck Plus he got paid to go prerunning the guy knew the course like the back of his hand and there really wasn't spectators everywhere like there is today So with rougher and more challenging course conditions sustained race speeds that are just ludicrous the definition of IronMan needs to change with the times co-driver are now a necessary piece of equipment and that shouldn't diminish what an Ironman is. IronMan or woman is someone who drives every mile of a race course "competitively" that means if you're not racing a class 11 and class 11 passes you you've made made a giant mistake get off the course you're embarrassing yourself and your team

fathead

It’s pretty simple. We all agree that a solo effort on a bike is considered Iron Man.
We also all agree that a solo effort in a car, no co-pilot, is considered Iton Man.
Find a new more appropriate name for soloing with a co-dog. It’s a huge accomplishment, but gets diminished when you call it something it never has been called.

mrmatt

I cant remember his name and it is so worthy of mention. But we had an Ironman in 2018 for the entire BITD Motorcycle series. This guy even took the Ironman title to a new level:

The day before the race he went to each pit. He placed a folding table at each pit. On the table was a drink, snack and a energy gel that was taped so it would rip it open as he pulled it from the tape on the table. His gas mat was on the ground with his fuel and a note on the table that said who he was and entry number.

Race day, he would race, very competitively and when he would get to his pit, fuel his bike wile taking his snack and gel. People would always offer to help and he would not allow them to. It often would slow down his process if they tried.

Then after he finished the race, he would go back to each pit and pick up his stuff.

Not sure what is harder than Iron, but this guy deserves a special title..

That is freakin awesome!!!

Big Hock

Bababooey!!!
Back when Ivan Stewart was racing with PPI Toyota things we're a lot different then the course was nowhere near as rough as it is today. Toyota seem to have more pit stops then the Mcmillans an Herbst combined I don't think Ivan really ever got out of the truck Plus he got paid to go prerunning the guy knew the course like the back of his hand and there really wasn't spectators everywhere like there is today So with rougher and more challenging course conditions sustained race speeds that are just ludicrous the definition of IronMan needs to change with the times co-driver are now a necessary piece of equipment and that shouldn't diminish what an Ironman is. IronMan or woman is someone who drives every mile of a race course "competitively" that means if you're not racing a class 11 and class 11 passes you you've made made a giant mistake get off the course you're embarrassing yourself and your team
Saying the course is rougher is an excuse. Today’s unlimited classes have twice the suspension travel and horsepower that they had then. That evens it out. Plus now there’s GPS to tell you where to go, Ivan didn’t have that. He had to watch for the course markings, wearing an open face helmet with Moto goggles and bare knuckles. And he definitely changed some tires by himself trough the years. That’s an Ironman.

novaman64

Id be down to ironman it (true ironman, no co-dawg), with lead nav piping it when to turn I think it would be doable

Problem is, most rulebooks read "race vehicles must have a driver and a co-driver in the vehicle for the entire race."

450grl

I would for sure rather race alone than with a co-pilot. I drive differently when I am responsible for someone else....... would be cool if SCORE and BITD allowed this.

Bro_Gill

I think you must be [pretty young. Ivan was racing single seat buggies with no PPI pits when he got this nickname. He was changing his tires and fixing stuff before you were filling diapers is my guess. Iron Man was a term put out there by an oil company (Valvoline if I remember right) for an award to be given to any driver that SOLO'D the Baja races with no co-dog, and no relief driver. No passenger seat allowed. Ivan was not the first or only Iron Man back in the day. There was a guy in a Jeep that earned the title, I believe Mark Stahl won it a few times and I am sure there were others. Ivan WON the nickname because he won the Baja International/Baja 500 so many times as a single driver in a single seat vehicle. It happened WAY BEFORE PPI was handling his stuff.

El Mamito USMC

you also have my friend Miguel A Arranz Lopez from Spain (middle guys with flat top haircut). He races the 173A quad. He did the 50th solo and finished on time. the 2018 1000 he was run over by a TT (that i wont mention- "EH"- which didn't even stop to check on him) and on this one, he had a bad landing and injured his knee (seen on the bottom pic).

he was 3rd the entire time up to race mile 400ish... that's some thing... he'll be back for the 2020 peninsula one..

Miguel 1.jpg
miguel 2.jpg

Kiwiflyer

I was awarded this medal after finishing 3rd place out of 17 starters in the class 3000/trophy lite class in which the rules state that you have to have two occupants in the car. I was behind the wheel for 44 hours 58 minutes and 16 seconds. I was slaughtered on here after I wrote a race report on how I soloed the race by Bro Dill and a lot of the other keyboard warriors whom the only thing they solo is sex. Maybe you should clarify with the SCORE the definition?

Attachments

MTPyle

I think its super cool that Sara price drove all of the B1k this year. Not because she is a girl but because its hard and she did every mile on her own. I am not a fan of having Male and Female motorsports. Both Male and Female should be the same and nothing extra for being a girl. I doubt Sara wants special treatment for being a Girl.

I think we need a new term for the Solo team. Did Sara have the same co driver for the entire race? if so the Co Dog also deserves some respect, male or female.

Ironman is single person on their own. Thats not to say what Sara did is not impressive, just different kind of bad a$$.

Mike