• Forum membership has its advantages....

The "Ironman" debate

michael.gonzalez

I think we need a new term for the Solo team. Did Sara have the same co driver for the entire race? if so the Co Dog also deserves some respect, male or female.

Ironman is single person on their own. Thats not to say what Sara did is not impressive, just different kind of bad a$$.

Mike
She had two co-drivers.

Chris_Wilson

Ramsey El Wardini
In 2002 Ramsey and I drove a Stock Full, which we finished assembling the night before, from my house in El Cajon to Ensenada. That was our break in, we then changed the oil in Ensenada that night, did tech the morning of the race, raced to La Paz, then drove it back to my house in El Cajon. We were in the truck 30 hours and got 2nd place. Ramsey drove the whole way. After the race, Ramsey told me that some day he would like to actually try to Ironman the 1000. He tried it a few years later in a 1-1600 (single seater). Timed out by a little bit because his new sway-a-way torsions were heat treated wrong costing him several hours to go back and get the old ones and swap them in. Anyway that second attempt was a true Ironman attempt.

BajaFand

In 2002 Ramsey and I drove a Stock Full, which we finished assembling the night before, from my house in El Cajon to Ensenada. That was our break in, we then changed the oil in Ensenada that night, did tech the morning of the race, raced to La Paz, then drove it back to my house in El Cajon. We were in the truck 30 hours and got 2nd place. Ramsey drove the whole way. After the race, Ramsey told me that some day he would like to actually try to Ironman the 1000. He tried it a few years later in a 1-1600 (single seater). Timed out by a little bit because his new sway-a-way torsions were heat treated wrong costing him several hours to go back and get the old ones and swap them in. Anyway that second attempt was a true Ironman attempt.
That was the 40th, I remember that year. I remember watching him coming through Catavina the next morning after the start around 7-8am while we were still waiting for our 7s to get to us. We DNFed about there and I got home about 4am the next day and went straight to bed. After a few hours of sleep I woke up to log on to RDC to see Ramsey still racing towards Cabo for almost a 3rd straight full day. Still amazes me to think about.

Bro_Gill

I was awarded this medal after finishing 3rd place out of 17 starters in the class 3000/trophy lite class in which the rules state that you have to have two occupants in the car. I was behind the wheel for 44 hours 58 minutes and 16 seconds. I was slaughtered on here after I wrote a race report on how I soloed the race by Bro Dill and a lot of the other keyboard warriors whom the only thing they solo is sex. Maybe you should clarify with the SCORE the definition?
Well, aren't you 'special'?

cynicwanderer

I cant remember his name and it is so worthy of mention. But we had an Ironman in 2018 for the entire BITD Motorcycle series. This guy even took the Ironman title to a new level:

The day before the race he went to each pit. He placed a folding table at each pit. On the table was a drink, snack and a energy gel that was taped so it would rip it open as he pulled it from the tape on the table. His gas mat was on the ground with his fuel and a note on the table that said who he was and entry number.

Race day, he would race, very competitively and when he would get to his pit, fuel his bike wile taking his snack and gel. People would always offer to help and he would not allow them to. It often would slow down his process if they tried.

Then after he finished the race, he would go back to each pit and pick up his stuff.

Not sure what is harder than Iron, but this guy deserves a special title..
Wasn't it Todd Peppard ?

43mod

🤡🤡. I talk too much and type too much. I can say first had one time i went for a really long drive w some other guys. Would love to do a non iron man again. Maybe something a touch faster than a tl just to shorten the drive a bit. As far as bikes go they are all pretty damn tough. Tungsten people are beyond all

Mark Stahl

I think you must be [pretty young. Ivan was racing single seat buggies with no PPI pits when he got this nickname. He was changing his tires and fixing stuff before you were filling diapers is my guess. Iron Man was a term put out there by an oil company (Valvoline if I remember right) for an award to be given to any driver that SOLO'D the Baja races with no co-dog, and no relief driver. No passenger seat allowed. Ivan was not the first or only Iron Man back in the day. There was a guy in a Jeep that earned the title, I believe Mark Stahl won it a few times and I am sure there were others. Ivan WON the nickname because he won the Baja International/Baja 500 so many times as a single driver in a single seat vehicle. It happened WAY BEFORE PPI was handling his stuff.
Thanks for the shoutout Bro_Gill. I won 3 Ironmans in the Baja 1000. My time winning the 1981 Baja 1000 at 20 hours and 36 minutes is still the record for the longest time winning it. Ivan paid me the ultimate compliment a year ago telling me he spent his whole career trying to beat my Ironman record.

Ryan peacock

For the last few years we've all been seeing racers claiming to Ironman (Ironwoman) the Baja 1000. But what do you classify as a true Ironman effort?

For me it would be this guy, 734x Bob Kimber, 62 years old from Colorado. I took a quick screenshot during his interview yesterday because I thought to myself, what a true badass doing this at 62 years old. Bob is racing solo on his bike along with 14 other Ironman riders listed in the 2019 Baja 1000 entry list.
View attachment 206586

And of course there's this guy in his Toyota... The reason I fell in love with off road racing and became a Toyota fanboy. (photos from this feature)

View attachment 206588View attachment 206587

Anyone that can drive an 800-1000 mile race solo without changing drivers is a badass and deserves respect. But if there's someone in a second seat that's helping with navigation, flats, etc. can, or should they be called an Ironman? It seems like that name is thrown around pretty loosely these days and I'm not sure if I like it... Lets hear what everyone else thinks.

Ryan peacock

I just went solo For 35 hours at the 1k with the same codriver in a trophy spec. We ripped the lower bulkhead out at mile 130 and I was determined to finish. we crossed the finishline 30 min late - timed out... big DNF next to our name. It’s not easy staying in the helmet that long, same suit, catheter ripped off, hot as hell during day and freezing balls off at night!

Steve_Sourapas

Thanks for the shoutout Bro_Gill. I won 3 Ironmans in the Baja 1000. My time winning the 1981 Baja 1000 at 20 hours and 36 minutes is still the record for the longest time winning it. Ivan paid me the ultimate compliment a year ago telling me he spent his whole career trying to beat my Ironman record.
That's impressive as the longest I've ever driven straight was 12 1/2 hours and I was used up and that was when I was in my early 30's. Huge prop's to anyone that can stay in the vehicle for that long no matter what class they are in.

bajafox

Accepted
When Ivan Stewart raced and was being called the Ironman, weren't there other racers doing the full course but with copilots? If so, why weren't they also called "Ironman"?

Bro_Gill

When Ivan Stewart raced and was being called the Ironman, weren't there other racers doing the full course but with copilots? If so, why weren't they also called "Ironman"?
They weren't from New Zealand??? I don't know. As a kid in the 1970s, the Iron Man thing was pretty well defined. Maybe this all has to do with the entire gender definition dealio. Maybe it should now be IronX?

TJ_Gambino

The term "IRONMAN" was coined by those who competed in a rigorous event without the aid of others.

The triathlons of the same name are not shared by three individuals. One person, ALONE trying to accomplish a specific task.

If you drive the entire Baja 1000 with help, your are impressive.

Do it ALONE, you are an IRONMAN!