• Forum membership has its advantages....

The "Ironman" debate

J BomBer

The term "IRONMAN" was coined by those who competed in a rigorous event without the aid of others.

The triathlons of the same name are not shared by three individuals. One person, ALONE trying to accomplish a specific task.

If you drive the entire Baja 1000 with help, your are impressive.

Do it ALONE, you are an IRONMAN!
this, the term like posted has been dumb down to where people with passengers get classified as ironman, yea no.

y2kbaja

So if you drive the entire Baja 1000, with a co-driver (person in the right seat), you are...???

michael.gonzalez

This could actually work if the driver AND co-driver stay in the vehicle for the entire race.

So maybe:

1 driver + 0 co-driver = IRONMAN
1 driver + 1 co-driver = IronTeam
1 driver + multiple co-drivers = IronChauffeur
multiple drivers + 1 co-driver = IronNavigator
multiple drivers + multiple co-drivers = here's a cookie
0 driver + 1 co-driver = still at the start line

Any input from those who have completed any of the above?

Last edited:

Kartman

Media Goon
This could actually work if the driver AND co-driver stay in the vehicle for the entire race.

So maybe:

I did all the cooking at my photo spots this year. I now claim the title of

2019 SCORE Baja 1000 Iron Chef

Big Whitey

So maybe:

What kind of cookie do I get. Or is that a new post

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
So if you drive the entire Baja 1000, with a co-driver (person in the right seat), you are...???
No different from any other team.

To call a driver an "Ironman" for being the solo driver but have a navigator, takes away the from accomplishments of those who actually have done a true "Ironman".

And lets not forget that Ivan Stewart didn't get the Ironman monicker for simply being the solo driver, he got it for being the solo driver and WINNING his class.

y2kbaja

I'm going with this from now on...

1 driver + multiple co-drivers = IronChauffeur or IronDriver

ace_photo

GET SOME
I'd like to submit that the only ones that qualify for Ironman are the people on the bikes.

One part of what I love about my job is I get to hear all the stories from people who call in about photos. I had an ironrider tell me his story after the last peninsula run. All the craziness that happens, the terrain, the trucks passing you, the vast darkness of Baja, being exhausted and fixing your bike in the middle of nowhere, the spectators that cheer you on, he hit every emotion from pure joy to cursing god for his existence, all alone. That's gnarly.

Also something to consider. If we apply our current standard of ironman to Dakar, then they are all ironman. Every driver, navigator and rider goes the whole distance or you're out. Thats just normal. The only distinction they have for pure gnarliness is Malle Moto. Moto riders who ride all day, then prep their own ****, no outside help at all.

While a solo drive is badass, it's not the same as doing it all by yourself.

Rory

Crayola Killer
Valvoline coined the phrase for off road racing back in the mid 70’s as a contest to award the guy who Soloed the Baja 1000 and/or the Baja 500 for the overall win in a car or a bike.
Ivan Stewart and Mark Stahl own a couple “Ironman” trophies, and another guy whom I think did it a little more impressively was Jack Johnson on a motorcycle at the Baja 500. Think about that, iron manning the Baja 500 and pulling off an OVERALL win! Has only been done ONCE in the history of the Baja 500 (or Baja 1000 as far as I know). I think it was 1976 but not sure.....I’ll double check.