• Forum membership has its advantages....

The Lion Roars Again in Dakar

200MPHTape

Really nice to hear from other sides of the seas. No one, should not show their National pride, that is what this race is all about. 95% of America has never heard of the race, if they can't watch the whole thing with out commercials to go to the bath room their not interested.

WillG

Gents does anyone know the power and torque figures for the RGs car? It appears Peugeot are running 340bhp and around 590lbs/ft.

Will

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
Gents does anyone know the power and torque figures for the RGs car? It appears Peugeot are running 340bhp and around 590lbs/ft.

Will

I'm not sure about the restrictor plate rules with the FIA, but the engines Robby uses pre FIA are somewhere around 400bhp and near 450ft/lbs of torque. They can jump to 500bhp and 500-550ft/lbs with just a cam and minor head work real quick.

Problem lies with the small intake restrictor that they must run for FIA in comparison to running a 98 or 102mm throttle body in U.S. Events.

Our TT's and class 1's have no motor or intake rules here, and can push 800bhp from the same engine that Robby is running.

mrlentle

I think there may have been approximate specs noted in the forum during R2V or Baja 500 race he ran the Gordini in stateside earlier in the year. I'm assuming he ran it with the restrictor as per Dakar spec.

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
I think there may have been approximate specs noted in the forum during R2V or Baja 500 race he ran the Gordini in stateside earlier in the year. I'm assuming he ran it with the restrictor as per Dakar spec.
I think he did as well for testing purposes, but I was just trying to make a comparison.

He was literally testing the Gordini on the highway getting to the start line of V2R.

MKR44

For ****'s and grin's,I'd guess an 'production' LS7 with a 39mm restrictor, is appr. 400-425hp,400ish ft/lbs. Not a huge increase over the modified LS's ran in the HUMMER's.The larger restrictor adds a few more rev's,more powerband fexibility.IMO

crazyeye

For ****'s and grin's,I'd guess an 'production' LS7 with a 39mm restrictor, is appr. 400-425hp,400ish ft/lbs. Not a huge increase over the modified LS's ran in the HUMMER's.The larger restrictor adds a few more rev's,more powerband fexibility.IMO
Thats a bit much, The aso tries to keep everyone pretty equal with the 2wd having a small advantage. I would guess if the peugeot making 340 then the Gordinis making maybe 375.

Yumaoffroad

turbo diesels never choke in the sand and elevations and huge torque output pushing 30 inch tires always have advantage over restricted gas v8

Brian1

I just read an interesting, but short, interview of Peterhansel in the January issue of The Red Bulletin (Redbull's Magazine) and haven't seen it mentioned on here yet. "Even though I don't have the feeling the car can win, it's the one I've had the most fun in." and "Q: Who will be quicker this year, your teammate Carlos Sainz or you? A: Him still, for now. He's got more buggy experience than me."

I searched and found the article online here for those who don't receive the magazine: http://issuu.com/redbulletin.com/docs/0115_ie_lowres page 60-61

Chris Tobin

Looks like we do have a cross-bar at the door after all...albeit hidden under the carbon.

590 lb.ft!!!??? Thats gotta be a real advantage over the Gordini if its accurate! Surprisingly high must say...
That's a turbo diesel for ya!!! But if I remember correctly the race LS7 that Robby used to use was something like 500 lbs/ft with the custom cam that GM optimized for the restrictor... Remember it is a large displacement engine so TQ is still pretty good, but HP is sapped by the restrictor!!!

DarrenSkilton

590 lb.ft!!!??? Thats gotta be a real advantage over the Gordini if its accurate! Surprisingly high must say...
Here some old insider info for comparison. Before FIA made the change to production diesel motors, Mini's race diesels where putting out 660 lb/ft or more.

LS7 with a 39mm restrictor will be well above 400 hp and over 500 lb/ft based what we got ours to with the 37.2mm.

The Pugs will be fast with the torque they have.

Chris Tobin

It looks like they have 4 cars in the shop photo.
Maybe, they will have one car strategically hidden behind a hut on a long stage so the lead Pug can swap out his car during the rally.... jajajaja

Probably the test mule, and the three racers...

TRUKTOR

That photo of the door bar might be current or not- it does not reflect the zip tie / hose clamp cage structure that was shown earlier. Why mock up the hose clamped structure if there wasn't a problem to be fixed, and then, why not go ahead and fix it ?

WillG

Here some old insider info for comparison. Before FIA made the change to production diesel motors, Mini's race diesels where putting out 660 lb/ft or more.

LS7 with a 39mm restrictor will be well above 400 hp and over 500 lb/ft based what we got ours to with the 37.2mm.

The Pugs will be fast with the torque they have.
The quoted weight of the 2008 DKR is 1,280kg which sounds very light too. I'm guessing the Gordini will be working to the same weight restrictions too?

I've followed Pug through many of their Motorsport adventures over the years and they are known for their conservative power/torque claims!

Powerful diesel engines have also become something of a speciality for them following the 5.5 litre V12 diesel which they used in the 908 HDi Fap endurance racer. Reported to have 730bhp and over 875 lbs/ft, pushing just 900kgs of racer.

Will