The Mint 400 Announces The Return of the Bikes

pgarfinkle

Is anyone looking to share pits? I might need someone that could dump fuel for me at a pit or two...

pgarfinkle

I emailed them and called but no answer. I imagine they are out at Parker this weekend. I'm hoping to hear back soon.

Cris Lepiz

I emailed them and called but no answer. I imagine they are out at Parker this weekend. I'm hoping to hear back soon.
I called a few weeks back and the person I spoke to was surprised to hear the bikes were racing. Told me they would already be there so it shouldn't be an issue, they did tell me to email them after Parker as they should know more by then.

BajaboundMoto

Wow, those are some great non-answers.

Although we are committed to going with multiple entries, this race lacks a lot of information for the competitors.
Huge hype.
Terrible info.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Cris Lepiz

Wow, those are some great non-answers.

Although we are committed to going with multiple entries, this race lacks a lot of information for the competitors.
Huge hype.
Terrible info.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Gives off a Frye Festival vibe...

tapped1069

George of the Jungle
Signed up in the 40+ EX class. Can't wait for this race. Really want to see an entry list though. Also what way are we going, head north towards Jean 1st or head up around McCullough pass? YEEEEEEEEE HAWWWWWW!

AngryShawn

how big are they ? and how are they mounted on the bike ?
Here is the page that has all the details on the unit itself.
YB Tracking | Truly global satellite tracking beacons for yacht racing, adventures, treks, expeditions and challenges | Products - YB3

I hope the mounting solution is well thought out, I'm having flashbacks to the handlebar mounts for those racingtrax units. I wonder how many of those ended up out in the dez or tossed in the chase truck after the mount failed.

Also interesting is that the rental fee is close to half of the purchase price for one of these units.
IF this tracker is going to be mandated for future races, it would seem to make more financial sense to just purchase one outright...

cynicwanderer

Here is the page that has all the details on the unit itself.
YB Tracking | Truly global satellite tracking beacons for yacht racing, adventures, treks, expeditions and challenges | Products - YB3

I hope the mounting solution is well thought out, I'm having flashbacks to the handlebar mounts for those racingtrax units. I wonder how many of those ended up out in the dez or tossed in the chase truck after the mount failed.

Also interesting is that the rental fee is close to half of the purchase price for one of these units.
IF this tracker is going to be mandated for future races, it would seem to make more financial sense to just purchase one outright...
thanks... yes, the mounting is going to be critical. if it's handlebar mount, it would be nice to know in advance, as most of our handlebars are already pretty busy. I do have the RAM mount for the racingtrax, that could be used. I just hope there is some kind of hard mount on the unit to the ram mount adapter, and not just a "clip". I assume we are going to be liable if we loose/break it.

I noticed that it had a "red" button under a cover, which I assume is the "emergency" button. however, how often do we crash so that we are actually on the bike. if we are seriously hurt we'd have to wait for someone to come along and push the button for us. this is the same issue as with the racing trax. having the safety tracker on the rider would make more sense.

it would be nice if BITD could standardize the tracker we are going to use and have a purchase option. the rental fee is not much for the steering wheel guys compared to their entry fee, but it's more significant of a cost for us bike guys. better, yet, if it's required, it should just be part of the entry fee.

I guess it is what it is, and this is what it takes for us to keep racing...

RacingTraX

thanks... yes, the mounting is going to be critical. if it's handlebar mount, it would be nice to know in advance, as most of our handlebars are already pretty busy. I do have the RAM mount for the racingtrax, that could be used. I just hope there is some kind of hard mount on the unit to the ram mount adapter, and not just a "clip". I assume we are going to be liable if we loose/break it.

I noticed that it had a "red" button under a cover, which I assume is the "emergency" button. however, how often do we crash so that we are actually on the bike. if we are seriously hurt we'd have to wait for someone to come along and push the button for us. this is the same issue as with the racing trax. having the safety tracker on the rider would make more sense.

it would be nice if BITD could standardize the tracker we are going to use and have a purchase option. the rental fee is not much for the steering wheel guys compared to their entry fee, but it's more significant of a cost for us bike guys. better, yet, if it's required, it should just be part of the entry fee.

I guess it is what it is, and this is what it takes for us to keep racing...
We have developed a new motorcycle unit that will be much smaller than what we were using before. It will also be equipped with an accelerometer so if a wreck occurs on a bike then a message will automatically send. There will be no LED screen, just a very loud buzzer that will sound when a 4-wheel vehicle is trying to pass. We will be using this tracker in BITD at SS300 and V2R.

pgarfinkle

The Mint isn't really a BITD event. This tracker appears to be only used for the Mint. After the Mint, BITD will go back to its normal routine.

BajaboundMoto

Signed up in the 40+ EX class. Can't wait for this race. Really want to see an entry list though. Also what way are we going, head north towards Jean 1st or head up around McCullough pass? YEEEEEEEEE HAWWWWWW!
I sense a prerunner ;-) Yeah, unlike BITD events there's more non-info like entry lists.

assume we are going to be liable if we loose/break it.
to the tune of $1000. Yikes.

cynicwanderer

The Mint isn't really a BITD event. This tracker appears to be only used for the Mint. After the Mint, BITD will go back to its normal routine.
Well, it's a required race for the BITD championship series, so as far as I'm concerned it's a BITD race.

I suspect the reason we are required to have a tracker (especially this event) has less to do with safety, but more to do with the fact they they will be able to tout "Live Tracking" to promote the event. I don't object to this, but I still think the rental fee needs to be rolled into the entry fee or we should have an option to buy a standardized unit, if they are required by the organization. I.e. like the scoring transponder.

Is there a reason they are not using RacingTrax for the Mint ? I mean it works well for the four wheelers and it's not like they use a different satellite constellation to transmit the location information for the live tracking. All the value added stuff to implement the live tracking is in the server and web presentation stuff.

Last edited: