• Forum membership has its advantages....

The new BITD Laughlin race. Yea or Nay?

Klaus

Administrator
We just got home after the new BITD Laughlin race and as I am re-living my race weekends experience in my mind I am wondering what those that attended have to say about it.

For me it brought back some fun memories of all those SCORE races. I know SNORE has the Rage at the River race that is one of the top races of the whole season but BITD brings more of the fast guys out.

Overall a great race. We had tons of fun. The weather worked out well. Epic racing and lead changes. Reasonably priced hotels (I am looking at you Parker). Many smiling faces.

My only criticizing would be that there where not that many spectators. The More spectators the more of an event feel there is. Perhaps this is an opportunity for future repeats.

wheezy

"PRO PHOTO"
I can't pretend to know how much work goes into putting on one of these races. But, I've raced in other series versions of this same race.

From a "lower budget" racer standpoint, hands down NAY.

SNORE RATR kicked this races ass in pretty much every single way, for half the price. If I wasn't racing for a BITD championship, I would never do this race again. It just doesn't make any sense for our team.

My observations. If you're going to have a race on Cinco de Mayo weekend AND Mothers Day AND charge $1,500 a head to run a 17 mile course, you should at the very minimum get your agreements with the hotels in writing. It was a cluster and frustrating to say the least. I spoke with Casey a bit about it and the story is he was told one thing by the hotels and then got hosed and they told him tough luck too bad so sad. That sucks. Lesson in business, that business is business. GET IT IN WRITING. You should know that by now sir. The situation made your organization look bad. I understand stuff happens though and feel bad that it went so poorly. Allegedly I was the only one that bitched about it, hard to believe as I heard a lot of grumbling by others as well. SNORE, you could setup your pit, unload the car and drive it to tech. Quick, easy, painless.

There was very limited, virtually non existent parking at registration for my truck and trailer. Took us almost an hour to find acceptable parking and then walk to registration. Typical hour and a half there.

Then, had to walk back, drive to the "drop off" area, wait another 30 minutes in a backed up line there to finally be able to unload. Then told NOPE, can't park here. Ok, well my race car is sitting right there, where do I park? Best answer ever "I don't know" - wheewwhooo THATS A FUN TIME. I actually got lucky and scored a spot really close and across from the drop off.

Tech was the usual 2-3 hour line, good amount of people and vendors, and put me in a way better mood after stressing all morning.

Walk back to truck, wait another 30 minutes to be able to load back up negotiating stupidly tight turns with my rig. It made for an extremely frustrating experience overall.

The race itself was "ok", typical overwatered short course race. HOWEVER the course support crew (dude in the blue truck specifically was in my opinion the best there is, no joke dude was ON TOP OF ISH ALL WEEKEND. I'd like to buy that guy a beer and shake his hand. Then again, maybe I'm just biased as he rolled my dumb ass back over when I pitched the car over 3 turns from the finish line on Saturday. Seriously though, I watched him haul ass into action several times and got stuff handled.)

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of 2 day format short course racing, and I won't do this race again unless I'm chasing points or someone else wants to pay the entry and prep bill to race all of 136 miles. 2 short course races in one season in a "premier" race org is 2 too many in my opinion. Bummed on no Silverstate 300 this year. REALLY REALLY looking forward to V2R.

BANNED4LIFE

its always entertaining to spectate there.....the FAST guys always like Laughlin {if its watered}....the 'also ran" guys will always hate it.....tough weekend being mothers day, we went home after sat races.....no vendors??? really? not a hotdog or cold drink to be found anywhere...kinda odd......a couple big screens and bleachers with live vid from around the track and some PROMOTION and this race will be as big as the score races used to be.....

MADMILLER

Big yay....Great door to door racing,every heat was right on schedule...Fast top teams door to door banging in corners.I agree..Needed a vendor for food and drinks.Snore ratr is better for the limited classes to run..But imo the laughlin locals and the fans want to see the Big dogs battle which ratr will never match the multiple big teams bitd brings in.

J Prich

Surely a lost cause with the BLM but find a way to allow spectators to the road crossing and watch the numbers grow.

J.COLEMAN

I always enjoy racing in Laughlin... They need to move the race weekend.. part of the town issue was its one of their busiest weekends so we had a tough time getting around due to big crowds already in town. But still had fun even though our race didn't go well. And we'll be at SNORE Rage at the River too. I'm glad it was a different course than Snore so you at least aren't doing the same course and it makes the two events a little different.

TRichards

I liked it. Tech was a PITA but the overall experience was good. We also raced the Rage SNORE race last December and had a good time at both races. Quick thanks to Jason at KC lights and Trophylite for hosting a pit party Saturday afternoon and the Method tent Thursday night for the Tacos catered and Azunzia for the margaritas.

philofab

Powered by Optima
I really enjoyed the race.

Pluses:

BITD did a great job putting vehicles together in heats with similar speeds.
Course was marked well.
New sections to race on.

Minuses:

Parade was too early in the week... no one was in Laughlin yet.
Pit area needs a food vendor or two (all Laughlin races)
Parking for tech/contingency sucked.
A lagging 6100 truck slowed down a TT racer due to STILL being on the track. (trucks were from different heats)
No infield jumps like RATR for spectators.

I wouldn't hesitate to race it again.

Factory25

YAY. As a parent of a 16 year old racer, I will pay the $1500 all day long to have the professional race course assistance and medical response units that BITD offers. We will be at RATR as well in the 1600 car because we love Laughlin and want to support SNORE but might not have the same piece of mind. We loved the fact that Casey and Donald of BITD worked hard to get us 30% new track and make this a different experience than the old SCORE or current SNORE events. I would like to see a couple of changes to make this more spectator friendly but it has a ton of potential. Casey will get it there. What about a Friday /Saturday race with Friday being a night event for us lighting companies? Just a thought.

dislocated1

Yay..... teething pains for a 1st year race. Town was packed with the lowrider show and the Concert fri night. I was bummed that Silverstate was no more, but enjoyed this race more than I thought I would. Sundays race was a hoot in a Jeepspeed since they staged us by finish position from Sat, fun racing 5 opens and TL's in a little XJ.....

GlamisGurlie

goddess like
[QUOTE="wheezy, post: 1741676, member: 11169"

My observations. If you're going to have a race on Cinco de Mayo weekend AND Mothers Day AND charge $1,500 a head to run a 17 mile course, you should at the very minimum get your agreements with the hotels in writing. It was a cluster and frustrating to say the least. I spoke with Casey a bit about it and the story is he was told one thing by the hotels and then got hosed and they told him tough luck too bad so sad. That sucks. Lesson in business, that business is business. GET IT IN WRITING.

It's a whole different game when we aren't setting everything up (what dates are available out there that BLM concurs with that don't get in the way of other events, hotel room codes, where everything is located, etc) and not us.

Then, had to walk back, drive to the "drop off" area, wait another 30 minutes in a backed up line there to finally be able to unload. Then told NOPE, can't park here. Ok, well my race car is sitting right there, where do I park? Best answer ever "I don't know" - wheewwhooo THATS A FUN TIME. I actually got lucky and scored a spot really close and across from the drop off. Walk back to truck, wait another 30 minutes to be able to load back up negotiating stupidly tight turns with my rig. It made for an extremely frustrating experience overall.

Tech/contingency off-loading was a nightmare. I was out there physically on-site with Casey and George at the Pioneer a month prior and we were guaranteed the ENTIRE parking lot of the Pioneer by them (wall to wall from the Colorado Bell to the Nugget). When I got there Wed on site, I was told they would have the area that was not already blocked off and full of cars vacated and blocked off by the graveyard shift. Didn't happen. Thurs after the parade, I was told by George that the hotel had "lost control of the parking lot" and pretty much too bad. So I made a phone call to the Metro Sgt I worked with on the parade and let him know what was happening and why. He called his day watch commander and sgt for Friday and let them know what happened and even called the Pioneer about it. Sgt Brock and Metro went above and beyond to work with me to not cite the race cars that were going to be on the streets Friday because of this huge snafu caused by the hotel. Metro rocks!! I truly apologize to everyone about this - I did the best I could to salvage what was left, which failed miserably. Had I had another 24 to 48 hours notice of the impending disaster, I could've pulled off a better plan B and a permit with Metro to do something different. I GUARANTEE it will be different next year.

Tech was the usual 2-3 hour line, good amount of people and vendors, and put me in a way better mood after stressing all morning.

I couldn't believe the amount of lag time for you guys... then I found out why. There was a lot of chit-chat going on which was holding up the line, as well as someone stopping just about every car to talk to them about baja tracking. I don't mind them soliciting business, but only until it causes issues.

[/QUOTE]

ndvalium

Rescue Director
I have many thoughts I will share a little later but rest assured the weekend the race falls on is the number one thing Best In the Desert is working on. That process actually started months ago as we knew it was an issue. Scheduling between large off road events for the first several months of the year and what the towns availability were is a very big challenge. But know that is a focus. It is actually going to cause a few changes next year as well.

David Nehrbass

Motorsports Safety Solutions

wheezy

"PRO PHOTO"
So I made a phone call to the Metro Sgt I worked with on the parade and let him know what was happening and why. He called his day watch commander and sgt for Friday and let them know what happened and even called the Pioneer about it. Sgt Brock and Metro went above and beyond to work with me to not cite the race cars that were going to be on the streets Friday because of this huge snafu caused by the hotel.
First, I appreciate all that you do and the time to give us this information. It does feel better knowing you guys were busting your asses to alleviate the situation, because it didn't feel that way at the time FWIW. Had the info I quoted above been communicated to us, there would have been ZERO problems. It would have been so easy to simply drive the race car the one block to/from tech with zero headaches or stress. :)

Either way, short course races are for LOORS. :eek:

announcer dude

Leg Rider
Just like Jamie said we had a game plan that we had weeks before the event
Setting up tech and contingency isn't easy as Jamie knows i told the hotel all day thursday
to get that North Parking lot clear. Later that day they did loose control.
We knew drivers would be driving there race cars on the street as they do.
Jamie did make a call to Metro and gave them heads up. Friday morning i
had to come up with plan to keep drivers off the street after Metro contacted me
We did create a offload and onload driveway which worked. Not the best way
Metro was happy with it and the day went on.

If i knew someone was holding up line pushing trackers for Baja i would of put a stop
to that.We had no venders in that field. I do want to thank Jamie for calling Metro
They met with me after tech and were very happy with BITD.

I can tell you from the podium all the drivers liked the 2 day race and course

george

GlamisGurlie

goddess like
First, I appreciate all that you do and the time to give us this information. It does feel better knowing you guys were busting your asses to alleviate the situation, because it didn't feel that way at the time FWIW. Had the info I quoted above been communicated to us, there would have been ZERO problems. It would have been so easy to simply drive the race car the one block to/from tech with zero headaches or stress. :)

Either way, short course races are for LOORS. :eek:
Thank you, sir. I did post on FB at 8 that morning and I figured it was too late, but might as well try and reach at least one person lol. I'm sure it didn't feel that way at all and it may not have looked like it either, but it was chaos for us, too. It definitely wasn't the experience we wanted you all to have.

V2R is going to be epic!!!

drofmij

Eh.... from a spectators point of view, I came out saturday after the sxs's to catch the unlimited races. Definitely seemed short, was nice to be able to get up on the hill and get a good vantage point. I am sure in the future it will get better for the unlimited class races.

havahockey

Flipper
I haven't been to Laughlin since the last SCORE race, and haven't been to RATR yet so to be able to be back out at the first road crossing to shoot was pretty cool. Having spectators out there would be cool but I just don't see where they could put them all in a safe place. They could park them all at the high school and maybe have them up on the ridge before the crossing?