The New Chevy ZR2 is the latest challenger to the FORD Raptor crown!

Reaction
2017-Chevrolet-Colorado-ZR2-rdc-header.jpg

The new mid-size diesel Chevy ZR2 is just what the off-road world needs! An intelligently designed off-road capable truck that balances brawn with brain, giving you both a practical and economical daily driver as well as a fully off-road capable vehicle for around $35k. Closer in comparison to the Toyota Tacoma TRD pro, the Chevy ZR2’s big differences are in the diesel engine option, an advanced 4WD system, advanced suspension, and locking differentials.

The New Chevy ZR2 is a full on FORD Raptor Challenger! - race-deZert.com

DoitforBMoore

Reaction
Never heard of the shock company or the guy who designed them. I must live under a rock. This thing looks like a Kia.

Cool that more companies are jumping into offroad.

But with a few thousand offroad baja miles in one of the new ford raptors I can tell you NO ONE is even close to the raptor.

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
I wouldn't put it 6 feet under just yet. It might still prove useful as a mall cruiser.

Jorge Rodriguez

50% tortoise 50% hare
Reaction
It's nice to see that they're at least giving it a shot and heading in the right direction.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
I don't expect it to "compete" with a Raptor, but I do think it will be a very capable off roader!!! When I reviewed the Colorado Diesel in Z71 4X4 trim I really liked the truck, AND it did GREAT off road. With the purpose built additions and improvements they have made to the ZR2 I think it will be a great little truck, but it is surely down on power and ground clearance to the Raptor...

I can't wait to slide behind the wheel to test one!!!

Dezertpilot

Reaction
For what it is I think it could be a really rad truck.

johndjmix

Reaction
My raptor: 70k miles. All I've done is change the oil and get a t case replaced once under warranty.

So I Drive it from Denver to Ensenada.

Pre run most of the Baja 1000 course. Ran it pretty hard, only broken stuff was some dents in the skid plate from some hard hits.

Then Use it to rescue a broken trophylite out in the silt by RM 309 which required I basically run at race speed on the course then fight to tug the race truck through the silt back to the road then to rosereto.

Wake up after Baja...Drive it to Vegas, hitch up a 8,000 lb trailer (deckover with my trophylite on it).

Tow the trailer from Vegas to Denver over the mountains. Had to use 4 wheel drive at one point in the snow near vail.

Wake up the next morning and drive it to work like nothing happened.

That's why we all like our raptors. :)

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
If cars could talk, all the other cars and trucks would be gathered around your Raptor in the parking lot at work after the 1000 listening to endless stories and saying no way that Ford must be full of it! No truck could do all that!

My raptor: 70k miles. All I've done is change the oil and get a t case replaced once under warranty.

So I Drive it from Denver to Ensenada.

Pre run most of the Baja 1000 course. Ran it pretty hard, only broken stuff was some dents in the skid plate from some hard hits.

Then Use it to rescue a broken trophylite out in the silt by RM 309 which required I basically run at race speed on the course then fight to tug the race truck through the silt back to the road then to rosereto.

Wake up after Baja...Drive it to Vegas, hitch up a 8,000 lb trailer (deckover with my trophylite on it).

Tow the trailer from Vegas to Denver over the mountains. Had to use 4 wheel drive at one point in the snow near vail.

Wake up the next morning and drive it to work like nothing happened.

That's why we all like our raptors. :)

--John

Trophylite #6013
Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Pretty pumped on the diesel engine platform. The rest of the world has efficient diesel engines.
The baby Duramax is a very nice engine!!! It has been used for many years in other markets with great success. The performance aftermarket here is already working on options/upgrades for it too!!!

When I tested it, I towed a very heavy load with it, and it did it no problem at all...

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
I think the title of this thread is what has everyone twisted. I think the new Colorado with the diesel is super cool. 7700 lb towing capacity 4WD and can get 30 MPG on the highway. THIRTY MPG!

On another subject, I would love to see this diesel engine be legal in Class 10...just because.

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Here are early PDFs of my review of the standard Colorado Diesel that I did for Ultimate Diesel Builder's Guide magazine for those that may want to read it...

UDBG-1604-30-37-COLO-CT2-1.jpg
UDBG-1604-30-37-COLO-CT2-2.jpg
UDBG-1604-30-37-COLO-CT2-3.jpg
UDBG-1604-30-37-COLO-CT2-4.jpg

BajaFand

Reaction
If it ain't a Raptor then haters gonna hate on RDC. At just a little over half the price of a Raptor and not as expensive as a Tacoma or 4runner TRD I think it's gonna be a pretty good option.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today