The Official Baja Passport Thread

JoeyD23

Reaction
OK so I am "that guy" who has had all year to get my passport and now we are 3-4 weeks away from Baja and I have yet to go obtain one. So what are my options. A quick search turns up a bunch of companies that will "expedite" my passport for a crazy fee but how do I know it works?

What can I do between now and November to get a passport in hand?

My wife told me that a friend said they have a passport card that will allow me to travel between Canada and Mexico. Can this be obtained quicker?

Can I still get back across the border with my birth certificate and ID?

Any help is much appreciated. My local Post office doesnt have an appointent available until Monday. I would hate to pay a huge expedite fee to them and not have my passport in time. The lady I was talking too didnt seem to have any real facts on ship and process times.

Thanks!

racer56

Reaction
Just go down to the post office with your passport photos and pay for their expedited service. You will have your passport in a couple of weeks.

AzBajaman

Big Az Dad
Reaction
if you have proof that you paid for it......you can use the receipt as proof......

zetapsi827

Reaction
i think you can use your birth certificate and ID. It just needs to be the original, no photocopies.

i'd get a card if all you do is drive and walk to mexico, get the actual passport though if you plan on flying in the near future.

movindirt

Wham Spore
Reaction
And for those that think they only need a birth cert and ID to get back in the US:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_970.html

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: For the latest entry requirements, visit the Embassy of Mexico’s website or contact the Embassy of Mexico at 1911 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20006, telephone (202) 736-1600, or any Mexican consulate in the United States for the most current information.

All Americans traveling by air outside of the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to re-enter the United States. This requirement was extended to sea travel (except closed-loop cruises), including ferry service, on June 1, 2009. Starting June 1, 2009, all travelers entering the U.S. by land, sea or air were required to present a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document such as a passport or a passport card. While passport cards and enhanced driver’s license are sufficient for re-entry into the United States, they may not be accepted by the particular country you plan to visit; please be sure to check with your cruise line and countries of destination for any foreign entry requirements. U.S. legal permanent residents in possession of their I-551 Permanent Resident card may board flights to the United States from Mexico.

Applications for the U.S. passport card are now being accepted and have been in full production since July 2008. The card may not be used to travel by air and is available only to U.S. citizens. Further information on the Passport Card and can be found on our web site. We strongly encourage all American citizen travelers to apply for a U.S. passport well in advance of anticipated travel. American citizens can visit Bureau of Consular Affairs website or call 1-877-4USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778) for information on how to apply for their passports.

The U.S. Department of State is unaware of any HIV/AIDS entry restrictions for visitors to or foreign residents of Mexico.

JoeyD23

Reaction
if you have proof that you paid for it......you can use the receipt as proof......

Thank You...Can anyone confirm this?

Also whast the deal with the card? Does anyone have one? How did you get it?

AzBajaman

Big Az Dad
Reaction
Thank You...Can anyone confirm this?

Also whast the deal with the card? Does anyone have one? How did you get it?

Actually I got my card in the mail yesterday.....but before that I had to go to Mexico and I took my receipt and I asked a BP agent before crossing over and he told me it shouldn't be a problem.......I walked across and walked back and I showed him my receipt and he just wanted to see my ID and he looked at it and told me go ahead and go and have a nice day......

JoeyD23

Reaction
Actually I got my card in the mail yesterday.....but before that I had to go to Mexico and I took my receipt and I asked a BP agent before crossing over and he told me it shouldn't be a problem.......I walked across and walked back and I showed him my receipt and he just wanted to see my ID and he looked at it and told me go ahead and go and have a nice day......

Sweet. I am going on Monday to apply and do all the paperwork, SHould be here in time but this is encouraging news......

Thanks everyone!

MattV

Reaction
We went to visit family a couple of weeks ago and my wife had yet to get hers. I spoke to CBP in Washington, and was told that as long as she had her ID, COPY of her birth certificate (original was sent for getting the passport) and receipt for and copy of her application, she'd be just fine. We had no issues with this at the border. It seems that their main goal is insuring compliance. Personally, I don't know that I would bother with expedited service.

The other thing I was told by CBP is that as a US citizen, they cannot deny you entry. Worst case, without the aforementioned documents, would be a trip through secondary, delay while they verified your info, and a pre-printed nasty gram telling you to get your stinking passport.

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
Expediting works, we're going on our honeymoon and my wife was running out out of time, she got it within a week, pricey but it works. Make sure you pay the overnight fee's at the post office or it will take longer.

michael_loomis

Reaction
I called the US IMMIGRATION office and was told the passport deadline was extended, not to panic, as an original birth certificate, and ID would be fine until Jan 1st 2010.