The "Official" Dakar 2017 Thread

Ferrari333SP

Reaction
Let's get it started

Questions

1. What countries do we think will be involved?
2. What countries do we want involved?
3. Will RG be back for next year's edition?
4. If so, will Sheldon be in the 2nd car?
5. What new drivers could we see participate(WRC drivers, etc)
6. Will X-Raid improve their Minis?
7. How much stronger will Peugeot get?

Etc, etc

blue dog

Reaction
Argentina, chile, Peru, Bolivia .

2017 will be the year GDV dominates Dakar.

Bull-dust

Reaction
1) Peru, Argentina, Chile , Bolivia

2) Chile, Argentina, Uruguay

3) RG - Thinking up a winter event for the SSTs.(somewhere ASO is not)SST winter series
A few frozen lakes in Canada with thick ice on consecutive weekends- 4) Somewhere ASO are not.
5) Bertelli? Kopecky in a truck
6) Mini - new engine spec from BMW , new tyres and compound from Pirelli or Continental,
shock absorbers and brakes, steering (new 4x4 - BMW X7 or Prototype buggy BMW X7 designed and tested even if only on the BMW supercomputer )Guerlain back with new Jimco 'Mini' buggy with BMW diesel engine with Fortin 6 speed transaxle. Zebra buggy retired to French modern art museum.
7) Sainz might retire, and be replaced by Al Attiyah

Last edited:

michalCCR

Reaction
1. Argentina
2. Chile, Peru
3. yes, as a team manager
4. Sheldon and Tavo
5. Markko Martin
6. yes, but no buggy
7. a bit

Short Bus

Reaction
2017 - Santiago, Chile - Cartagena, Colombia. Chile-Peru-Ecuador-Colombia

Ferrari333SP

Reaction
Rob Mac in France at Michelin HQ the last couple of days. 2017?

If he got enough backing from Rockstar, I could see him doing the Dakar; he's accomplished so much in the US scene, that Dakar must be the last big event on his off-road bucket list to conquer

PathfinderCS

Reaction
1. Argentina, Chile, Peru
2. Chile, Peru, Colombia
3. I'm sure he will; he has way too much invested in this to just walk away, IMO.
4. I could see it happening.
5. I don't think we'll see that many, but I would love to see Marcus Gronholm and Rob Mac give it a shot next year.
6. I'm sure they will do something, but I have a feeling their options are limited.
7. That might depend on how much their BoD are willing to spend versus the competition.

I'm really hoping for more from Toyota; they showed some improvement this year, but the bar has been raised and it is time for the factory to become more involved.

Short Bus

Reaction
I missed this earlier - posted by Vildosola Racing on 12/17.

Tavo Vildosola… In Dakar?

“There’s a possibility that the Mexican driver will be racing in one of the following editions”

After closing 2015 with a victory in the United States, Tavo Vildosola of Vildosola Racing, the only Mexican team that has won the Baja 1000 twice, is contemplating the possibility of new challenges and is setting his eyes on Dakar.

After the strategic alliance with Toyo Tires, Tavo is negotiating his participation in one of the most emblematic races in the world; the Dakar.

Although his participation in the 2016 edition is completely discarded, we can probably see Tavo racing Dakar in the near future.

The Dakar Rally, formerly known as the Paris-Dakar Rally, is an annual rally competition organized by the ASO that started in 1978 after French driver Thierry Sabine got lost in the Teneré Desert in northern Africa for days, and considered the terrain worthy of an international competition.

In 2010 the race moved to South America including Argentina and Chile and over time it expanded to other countries. The race consists in 16 stages, with an average of 250 kilometers in each.

Stay tuned for more information.

‪#‎VildosolaRacing‬‪#‎Dakar‬‪#‎ToyoTires‬

trophygoat

Reaction
1. same countries as the 2015 edition as long as another el nino doesnt hit
2. I want it to start outside of Mexico City (pre race parade in MC) and end in Cabo
3. I don't think so but I think he will start a buy-and-drive the gordini program for Dakar
4. Doubt Sheldon will return
5. Rob Mac, Tavo, and more WRC grads considering a lot of them did well this year
6. definitely
7. much stronger as long as they can improve and the car and make it adaptable. this year could very well be the start of a Pug streak

just a side note we need a thread to cover the FIA cross country rallies world cup, sonora rally, NORRA, silk way rally, and any other big rally raids I'm missing... these will give us the biggest clues for 2017 Dakar

biffgnar

Reaction
just a side note we need a thread to cover the FIA cross country rallies world cup, sonora rally, NORRA, silk way rally, and any other big rally raids I'm missing... these will give us the biggest clues for 2017 Dakar
NORRA covered mostly in Vintage section

SteveRacer

Reaction
I am very curious to see how X-Raid reacts to the new challenger. I am doubting they will change much as they seemed to always stay the course even when they were close to challenging the VW machines. I would like to see X-Raid return the Zebra car to its previous form as it was when Nasser and Sainz drove them. Maybe adapt the chassis to an X-Raid diesel if possible.

Not expecting a lot out of changes out of Peugeot. I truly think they will work on refining their reliability and they wont look or seem terribly different next year.

Dirty Harry

Reaction
I agree, the Peugeot will just get more reliable. They will address the turbocharger and engine management issues and likely reinforce the chassis where necessary. Their vehicles are not as reliable as the Minis, but it is a newer platform.

I expect X-Raid to get more horsepower and perhaps make a tire change in an effort to stay competitive. Outside of that I hope that they can put good drivers in them. Hirvonen shows a lot of promise. If Peterhansel was driving a Mini this year it is my opinion that he still would have won the rally. If Nasser gets a ride in a Peugeot the Mini program basically becomes Wide Open Baja.

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Nasser wins in a PUG. RG is no where to be seen unless he builds a new car.

P.S. Bryce races.....and wins a stage.

trophygoat

Reaction
Why was Rob with Michelin, hasn't he been with BFG since he started racing? Aren't most of his 200+ wins on BFG tires? Would he really leave BFG just to do Dakar with michelin (btw how many flats did the Pug squad get this year compared to Robby on the Toyos? seemed like 20:1 toyo victory)