• Forum membership has its advantages....

The "Official" Dakar 2018 Thread

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
That was cool to see, too bad nobody wanted to show what they had and they all played follow the leader (my guess is a fear of a smaller restrictor in future years).
I can assure you that everyone was flat out. Who wants to sandbag when you have a 100 km straight? What you saw is what they had! ;-)

Suhaib Kiani

I wasn't on RDC when the race moved to South America. Did any real threat to security ever actually materialize after the race was cancelled in 08 and subsequently moved? Or was it moved over some rumors?
One of the things I was told by an Argentinian engineer was that the Dakar was welcomed in Argentina by the people in a big way. Many see it as a big annual celebration and look forward to it and go out with friends and families to cheer on the participants. This has probably been a big factor in keeping the race in South America...

RedRide

My guess is that if Robby makes an appearance it will be in a UTV. Only because that's who is footing the bills now a days.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Dirty Harry

One of the things I was told by an Argentinian engineer was that the Dakar was welcomed in Argentina by the people in a big way. Many see it as a big annual celebration and look forward to it and go out with friends and families to cheer on the participants. This has probably been a big factor in keeping the race in South America...
I think that used to be the case more than it is now. When I went in 2010 it was insane, you couldn't go through a toll booth without hundreds of people swarming your vehicle. The even shortened the end of a couple stages by a few kilometers because people were lined up ten deep on each side of the road and the organizers were concerned about safety.

Last year the interest seemed way down in Argentina. From scrutineering to the stages it just wasn't the same. In 2010 there were thousands of people in the dunes of Fiambala, but last year there were only a few hundred. There is probably still more interest than from the locals in northern Africa, but it is dwindling.

Bull-dust

The little Isuzu (Thailand drag team) 4 cylinder 3 liter diesel turbo engines ( have been zapped up to 700 hp with large turbo, fuel pumps, custom camshaft, non standard rods and pistons. The Japanese? cast block is obviously well made to handle that hp even for a short time.
http://www.trucktrend.com/cool-trucks/1406-isuzu-d-max-pro-stock-diesel-race-truck-team-thailand
The Ford diesel engine in the Peugeot would do 300 hp fairly easily unrestricted. Have a look at the chip kits for standard engines.

Is this vehicle a test concept for a Dakar vehicle? Trophy trucks don't usually run windows or have 100 gallon fuel tanks.
http://www.dieselarmy.com/features/car-features/sema-2016-robby-woods-million-dollar-diesel-trophy-truck/

Bricoop

The little Isuzu (Thailand drag team) 4 cylinder 3 liter diesel turbo engines ( have been zapped up to 700 hp with large turbo, fuel pumps, custom camshaft, non standard rods and pistons. The Japanese? cast block is obviously well made to handle that hp even for a short time.
http://www.trucktrend.com/cool-trucks/1406-isuzu-d-max-pro-stock-diesel-race-truck-team-thailand
The Ford diesel engine in the Peugeot would do 300 hp fairly easily unrestricted. Have a look at the chip kits for standard engines.

Is this vehicle a test concept for a Dakar vehicle? Trophy trucks don't usually run windows or have 100 gallon fuel tanks.
SEMA 2016: Robby Woods' Million Dollar Diesel Trophy Truck
I highly doubt it. I believe the rules prevent that sort of diesel setup.
That is a cool truck though.

mattj112

http://www.dieselarmy.com/features/car-features/sema-2016-robby-woods-million-dollar-diesel-trophy-truck/
I thing more of very expensive SCORE pre-runner concept than Dakar vehicle

GEO_DXB

you people should get a life. no joking.

drag diesel? Is this a replacement for RG threads?

Dirty Harry

Short Bus

For $1m could I put together a decent T2 Dakar effort? Something like a Raptor or Land Cruiser maybe. If not, I guess I could settle for a mad-tricked out brodozer.

TMorford

It'd be quite cool to see them attempt those races, I'd be shocked if they finished in the top 10, even with a different powerplant(And everything else that goes along with doubling their power) Theyre giving up too much suspension travel to TTs(imo)
The VWs that came over for the 500 had far less travel than the Pugs since they were 4WD and finished 11th and 16th. I think the added travel from the Pugs would put them even farther up the leaderboard, but I don't see that happening as VW was a main sponsor of SCORE at the time and one of their drivers was Mark Miller.

Bricoop

The VWs that came over for the 500 had far less travel than the Pugs since they were 4WD and finished 11th and 16th. I think the added travel from the Pugs would put them even farther up the leaderboard, but I don't see that happening as VW was a main sponsor of SCORE at the time and one of their drivers was Mark Miller.
Makes me wonder why more haven't explored the 4wd option in Baja. Can't wait for the next 10 years of TT development.

Dirty Harry

Makes me wonder why more haven't explored the 4wd option in Baja. Can't wait for the next 10 years of TT development.
I think that the cost is the biggest factor. The transfer case in Matney's truck cost over $20k. Then you add the front diff and CVs to that. Plus my understanding is way more time consuming (which equates to being more expensive). I know that Bryce is having the Huseman's build him a 4WD TT right now. I think if you see Matney and Menzies winning consistently with 4WD trucks the rest of the field will step up to remain competitive, but the last few years people seem content to run Geisers rather than risk their money on something unproven.

Bricoop

I think that the cost is the biggest factor. The transfer case in Matney's truck cost over $20k. Then you add the front diff and CVs to that. Plus my understanding is way more time consuming (which equates to being more expensive). I know that Bryce is having the Huseman's build him a 4WD TT right now. I think if you see Matney and Menzies winning consistently with 4WD trucks the rest of the field will step up to remain competitive, but the last few years people seem content to run Geisers rather than risk their money on something unproven.
Trend has been towards bigger, heavier, huge HP trucks while dakar is about light, mid HP. I'd like to see a mix of the two strategies. If only a manufacturer would step up to the plate and put their money where their mouths are. You could build a prototype TT for a fraction of what they spend on a rally. Thus the need for SCORE to do what they can to provide opportunity for better ROI. Once 4wd gets their reliability down, I think we'll see a lot more unlimited builds heading that way.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
I think a 300 hp turbo diesel, 4wd, class 10 would rip in both Dakar and Baja. My 2 pesos.

Dirty Harry

Trend has been towards bigger, heavier, huge HP trucks while dakar is about light, mid HP.
With minimum weights and restricted power in Dakar they HAVE to be concerned about weight. That was why the Humbuggy was such a pig when it debuted. RG said that the last iteration was over 1000 pounds lighter than the original. But with a TT you just add more power, they don't seen that concerned about weight.

I really wish the All German Motorsports TT was more successful, I liked their concept and the direction that they were going, it just never really matured to the point that it produced race wins.

Bricoop

With minimum weights and restricted power in Dakar they HAVE to be concerned about weight. That was why the Humbuggy was such a pig when it debuted. RG said that the last iteration was over 1000 pounds lighter than the original. But with a TT you just add more power, they don't seen that concerned about weight.

I really wish the All German Motorsports TT was more successful, I liked their concept and the direction that they were going, it just never really matured to the point that it produced race wins.
Yup and as power goes up, reliability of drivetrain goes down. Dream machine would be a hybrid with a diesel.

Bricoop

I am thinking a hybrid would be heavy with all of those batteries...yes/no?
Yes, but would be mitigated by only needing a small pack. A prius' pack only weighs about 120lbs.
If we're talking big money, lets use a porsche 918 engine(or LMP1 919 if Porche will let us). In current hybrid racing applications the gas engine does the heavy lifting while the electric motors provide their benefit through full torque at 0 RPM.