• Forum membership has its advantages....

The "Official" Dakar 2018 Thread

michael_loomis

Whatever happened to the Jimco class 1 that had the trailing arms like a RZR? It had nothing to do with Dakar.. but I think it would be the ultimate platform to start with. Any of my desert racing compadres know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

michael_loomis

This darn race.... always gets my wheels spinnin. Sorry for the pun.

Hog Wild

I developed this "quick install" paddle chain device for my sidecar for the dunes. Once I got the bugs out it worked quite well. The tire is a WRC rally type, which has super stiff sidewalls. Even with no air, the tires did not squish out in the sand. Then I tried a BFG Mud Terrain aired down to ~10 PSI. The BFG aired down without the paddle chain thing worked better than the rally tire with the chain, so I switched to the BFG and thew away the chain. I later found a Dakar rule that basically said no paddle tire of any sort is allowed, which I figured applied to my paddle chain thing, so it would have been a no-go anyway.
upload_2018-1-10_17-12-24.png

michael_loomis

I developed this "quick install" paddle chain device for my sidecar for the dunes. Once I got the bugs out it worked quite well. The tire is a WRC rally type, which has super stiff sidewalls. Even with no air, the tires did not squish out in the sand. Then I tried a BFG Mud Terrain aired down to ~10 PSI. The BFG aired down without the paddle chain thing worked better than the rally tire with the chain, so I switched to the BFG and thew away the chain. I later found a Dakar rule that basically said no paddle tire of any sort is allowed, which I figured applied to my paddle chain thing, so it would have been a no-go anyway.
View attachment 188229
I love the ingenuity. I was thinking about some quick release hubs that could pop on to the wheels really fast and then a huge 10" wide rubber belt going from front to back and make tracks. 4 aluminum wheels and 2 large rubber belts... 200# of stuff.. LOL. but you'd never get stuck!

Bricoop

View attachment 188229
Cool system, is there any concern with the auto-inflation getting in the way on the 2WDs?

TMorford

I've been having issues with my DVR recording Dakar on NBCSN but the Redbull.tv daily wrap up is pretty good. Its obviously pretty centered on their athletes but they do show most everything that happened that day along while the other half is random bivouac stuff.

Chris Tobin

I've been having issues with my DVR recording Dakar on NBCSN but the Redbull.tv daily wrap up is pretty good. Its obviously pretty centered on their athletes but they do show most everything that happened that day along while the other half is random bivouac stuff.
I set my DVR to record ALL and for some reason it wasn't picking up the old Dakar timer either... It seems to me that NBCSN is loosing interest in covering Dakar as they are simply squeezing in the 30-minute show where ever they can fit it with NO Consistency at all!!!! I have seen that it is airing at 5:30, 6:30, 11:30, 1:30am and so on...

I wonder if they will bother to air it at all next season?

TMorford

I set my DVR to record ALL and for some reason it wasn't picking up the old Dakar timer either... It seems to me that NBCSN is loosing interest in covering Dakar as they are simply squeezing in the 30-minute show where ever they can fit it with NO Consistency at all!!!! I have seen that it is airing at 5:30, 6:30, 11:30, 1:30am and so on...

I set mine to record but my guide doesn't load up IE doesnt say "Dakar Rally" so it skips recording. I've resorted to manually recording the time slot since. That being said, NBC time slots have never been consistent especially when its qualifying time for the Olympics and its always been a half hour show (although they do have an hour long show this year in the second week).

I really miss the Speedvision coverage because it was on at the same time each day and was an hour long show that aired the stage from that same day. Difference being the race was in Africa so they had plenty of time to edit something together.

vegasloki

Same here. What was showing in its place during the normal daytime were winter sports leading to the Olympics. Im sure it's pretty low on the list I'd like to see them keep it though. The best thing about the NBC content isn't the race highlights, those are available all over but the NBC branded english interviews are what I like best. Had he not been out this year would have been BryceTV. This is another case where having the content steamed would be good. I'd pay $50 for good content across the entire race.

If your DVR can (newer ones do) set your search by name and record as a series. There should be a sort of to do list that will show you when it's airing. This works on DirecTV, Tivo, Cox and Comcast. I believe Xfinity has the same feature.

Chris Tobin

Same here. What was showing in its place during the normal daytime were winter sports leading to the Olympics. Im sure it's pretty low on the list I'd like to see them keep it though. The best thing about the NBC content isn't the race highlights, those are available all over but the NBC branded english interviews are what I like best. Had he not been out this year would have been BryceTV. This is another case where having the content steamed would be good. I'd pay $50 for good content across the entire race.

If your DVR can (newer ones do) set your search by name and record as a series. There should be a sort of to do list that will show you when it's airing. This works on DirecTV, Tivo, Cox and Comcast. I believe Xfinity has the same feature.
My Dish Network DVR seems to be picking up and recording ALL of them, but this year there seem to be no re-airs as they have run in years past so if you miss one for any reason it is gone...

The times that they are airing is nuts, no consistency at all!!! Can't set it for a time or anything like that or most will be skipped as "no event"...

It was weird to me that my existing timer which has been in place for several years to record all Dakar did not pick up any of the episodes this year so I had to create a new one...

I go ahead and set it to record all the episodes that air and then if there is a repeat when I'm watching I delete it right away... That way I hopefully won't miss any episodes if they air at odd times or anything...

BANNEDFROMBAJA

2317 Cherimoya Drive Suite A Vista, CA 92084
Whatever happened to the Jimco class 1 that had the trailing arms like a RZR? It had nothing to do with Dakar.. but I think it would be the ultimate platform to start with. Any of my desert racing compadres know?
I like what ur thinking..
Its a bad ass car for sure! It just needs to go on a no carb dakar diet..
V2R17.jpg

michael_loomis

That’s the one. Didn’t even realize it was Parkhouses car. I found it in the Dez section. Agree.. needs a slight shrinkage and diet.. and a turbo diesel... but if I win the lotto.. lookout!

Well.. at least the jumbo sized suspension style. I thought it was mid engine. That’s how I’d have it.

Dirty Harry

It would be fun if they allowed us to race a TT and an Ultra 4 car in Dakar just to see what would happen.
I plan to race an Ultra4 car at the Sonora Rally this year with my friend Ben Swain to find out just how well they do at Rally Raid...