• Forum membership has its advantages....

The "Official" Dakar 2018 Thread

Hog Wild

Tough today in Dakar for Ricky Brabec. A mechanical problem put him out early on Stage 13. The other Americans are still holding strong. Here are the current overall American moto results, and Ricky with a smoked battery.
upload_2018-1-19_17-26-23.png

Petepecas

Pete, kindly go to Purple to argue with people about myopic BS. While I generally agree with you I am not a fan of the cyber drama and come to RDC Rally Raid to read about Rally Raid. Not your arguing about a meaningless article and why you're opinion about it is right and everyone else is wrong. It's not the posting you don't agree, it's the arguing about it that I find annoying. I don't want to waste my race addiction time on it. That's why I stopped going to Purple.
JP, if we can´t argue about racers in a racing forum, specially in a thread that is the official Dakar about an article spreading nonsense and myopic, biased american ignorant views about rally raid because you get annoyed, then pound sand. This kind of bs is why I stopped coming here. Stay ignorant.

Pistol, you can kiss my ... always being a richard cranium. out-

spalind

Two bike guys who have been leading overall have gone from leading to DNF...the number of lead changes and closeness of the bikes is what I’d like to see in cars but...this year has definitely been better than last year. Given the difficulty you never felt that the race was over as soon as it started. One mechanical, one missed direction and you were porked. Gotta hand it to CS...he and his Navi drove a great race.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

blue dog

Damn. One Peugeot. All of a sudden there are a lot of X-Raid cars in the top ten! And GDV on the podium should make Blue Dog as happy a Nutter Butters do!

Spot on Harry, I know every day major changes can happen in the lineup, but I felt GDV chances at a podium were lost. But as we have seen time and time again, the difference in one stage can alter everything. I have nothing against Sainz, but he is not my guy and wish mechanical failure upon him tomorrow, as far as Nasser, I will not be upset if he has a small mechanical failure, giving enough time that will let GDV be the king of the podium. Nasser can have a 2nd and I will still be happy. I am bummed for Ten Brinke, he was doing so well and driving a smart race. All in all it has been a fantastic Dakar, even with RG doing donuts at the end of each stage. Cheers and viva Gazoo racing. Next year will be a Gazoo podium, 1,2,3.

mrlentle

So this page was started on January 12 last year - I'm picking as we've gotten to the 20th (in NZ anyway) and there's no 2019 thread up yet, it means we're having enough fun this time about. Blue - I put a wager with Leo of 4 packs of nutter butter cookies that there's only 2 Toyo's on the podium next year. Ask Leo if he's in!
This year's been great, thanks peeps for all the banter, bs and conspiracy theories!

Hog Wild

Congratulations to the five American moto finishers in Dakar 2018! With nearly half of all starters not finishing, this is a strong showing for the Americans.

Very unfortunate for Ricky Brabec to have a mechanical problem, taking him out in the second to last stage. He was performing very well up to that point. And sad for Menzies to be out so early.

Looking forward to seeing most of them again at Sonora Rally, March 19th-23rd.

Americans Motos:
upload_2018-1-20_9-15-23.png

Top 10 Overall Motos:
upload_2018-1-20_9-15-36.png

Short Bus

The difficulty of the course this year was a great equalizer. The difficulty made the human skills much more important. While it looks like Sainz is going to win, driving one of the fastest cars, he won because he drove the best race. If he drove the same race in a Toyota or a Mini, he probably still would have won (but it might have been closer). This year every stage, up until the last day, looked really challenging. I don't remember any stages we would have referred to as "WRC style" in past years.

BANNED4LIFE

JP, if we can´t argue about racers in a racing forum, specially in a thread that is the official Dakar about an article spreading nonsense and myopic, biased american ignorant views about rally raid because you get annoyed, then pound sand. This kind of bs is why I stopped coming here. Stay ignorant.

Pistol, you can kiss my ... always being a richard cranium. out-
I will take that as a complement.....viva wman